Re: Ocean Issues

  • lizardboy_nl
    Message 1 of 294 , Jul 27, 2000
      Hi bas,<br>What sort of opinions do you want?
      there are so many issues out there affecting the marine
      environment.<br><br>In general I think that people have always
      considered the oceans as a static, 'never-ending', resource
      for waste disposal and food. Our general lack of
      knowledge about the oceans fuelled these veiws, but as we
      have learnt more we have come to realise that the
      marine environment is a very dynanic and relatively
      fragile environment (in certain areas) and generally alot
      more complex than previously believed. Maybe in
      previous times it was thought that humans could not effect
      such an enourmous environment, but now we are
      realising that even small pertubations in the marine system
      can have very large consequences through many scales
      of observation. Society is beginning to catch on,but
      as ever is slower than science, but the underlying
      issues that really need to be seen too are education of
      society and more money/effort into research.<br>Thats one
      of my opinions, hope its useful, get in touch if you
      want any thing specific issues. Who are you working
      for? and what sort of conservation are you involved
      in?<br>Cheers Edd.
      Message 294 of 294 , Feb 27 12:54 AM