Re: One to avoid

  • beermaniac_2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      --- In marinebiologistswanted@y..., sshuter02 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Have any of you ever thought that there is more to marine biology
      > than looking at whales and dolphins and saying how cute they are?
      Did
      > you ever thing that whelks and limpets might have some kind of
      > influence of how marine ecosystems work? This course is not "crap."
      > and it does not give marine biology a bad name. It IS marine
      biology.
      > no one ever said that marine biology had to deal with whales and
      > dolphins, or even animals. It is the study of life in the oceans.
      It
      > is very foolish to think that whales are the only things that live
      > there.
      Well, I'll tell you now, I NEVER thought that marine biology solely
      consisted of whales and dolphins and "saying how cute they are", for
      your information I am NOT one of those people who are only interested
      in cute and cuddly, I have a scientific interest in animals, my first
      ambition was to be a vet. What I do not believe is right is to study
      ONLY invertebrates, which my course more or less did. You yourself
      obviously know little about ocean life or you would realise that
      marine mammals are the top of the foodchain and also play a major
      role in the ecosystem of the oceans. You know nothing of the course
      I was on obviously. can you explain the relevance of GM crops to
      marine biology??? No, I don't expect you can, but we had to write an
      8000 word essay on the subject for an assessment. Or the importance
      of Indian railways??? Again, one of our lecture topics. If you had
      joined a student science society how would you react if your
      fieldtrip consisted of a visit to Flamingoland to see the sea lion
      show and ask the trainer questions?? Thankfully I never endured this
      stupid childish waste of time. If you are devoted to shells and the
      stuff that lives in them then you are as sad as the folk I've spent
      the last three years being bored to death by.
    • sshuter02
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
        If you are in this for scientific interest then tell me about
        colonial metabolism.