Re: One to avoid

  • sshuter02
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2002
      Have any of you ever thought that there is more to marine biology
      than looking at whales and dolphins and saying how cute they are? Did
      you ever thing that whelks and limpets might have some kind of
      influence of how marine ecosystems work? This course is not "crap."
      and it does not give marine biology a bad name. It IS marine biology.
      no one ever said that marine biology had to deal with whales and
      dolphins, or even animals. It is the study of life in the oceans. It
      is very foolish to think that whales are the only things that live
      there.
    • beermaniac_2000
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        --- In marinebiologistswanted@y..., sshuter02 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Have any of you ever thought that there is more to marine biology
        > than looking at whales and dolphins and saying how cute they are?
        Did
        > you ever thing that whelks and limpets might have some kind of
        > influence of how marine ecosystems work? This course is not "crap."
        > and it does not give marine biology a bad name. It IS marine
        biology.
        > no one ever said that marine biology had to deal with whales and
        > dolphins, or even animals. It is the study of life in the oceans.
        It
        > is very foolish to think that whales are the only things that live
        > there.
        Well, I'll tell you now, I NEVER thought that marine biology solely
        consisted of whales and dolphins and "saying how cute they are", for
        your information I am NOT one of those people who are only interested
        in cute and cuddly, I have a scientific interest in animals, my first
        ambition was to be a vet. What I do not believe is right is to study
        ONLY invertebrates, which my course more or less did. You yourself
        obviously know little about ocean life or you would realise that
        marine mammals are the top of the foodchain and also play a major
        role in the ecosystem of the oceans. You know nothing of the course
        I was on obviously. can you explain the relevance of GM crops to
        marine biology??? No, I don't expect you can, but we had to write an
        8000 word essay on the subject for an assessment. Or the importance
        of Indian railways??? Again, one of our lecture topics. If you had
        joined a student science society how would you react if your
        fieldtrip consisted of a visit to Flamingoland to see the sea lion
        show and ask the trainer questions?? Thankfully I never endured this
        stupid childish waste of time. If you are devoted to shells and the
        stuff that lives in them then you are as sad as the folk I've spent
        the last three years being bored to death by.
      • sshuter02
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
          If you are in this for scientific interest then tell me about
          colonial metabolism.