Re: [marf-dev] [marf-archive] Hi :)

  • Zachary Kosarik
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2011
      Hey,
      I have never personally tested anything like that, however MARF uses bit
      pattern recognition, which when audio is broken down that is all it is. So
      in theory if you had a database of songs and they're bit patterns you could
      easily use marf to get the patterns and then match them. If you are trying
      to do this live i.e. record on mic and then compare the results are going to
      vary greatly depending on background noise and scilence gaps. But to answer
      your question yes I believe it can be done, but I'm not entirely sure how to
      go about it.

      Hope I helped a little,
      Zach

      On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 8:37 AM, •HΛ®əŁ° <
      marf-devel-bounces@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Is it possible to use MARF as an 'Audio Search Algorithm' a bit like Shazam
      > & SoundHound for creating a searchable audio fingerprint for a song?
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > •HΛ®əŁ°

    • Serguei A. Mokhov
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2011
        Hi Harel, Zach,

        This has been brought up before, but there were simply no man/hours
        available to actually do the job (I am extremely busy with my PhD and
        other things). There is nothing in MARF itself that prevents you from
        accomplishing the task. MARF itself is a collection and a testing platform
        for various algorithms to be used in the pattern recognition pipeline in
        order to select the best suited for the task and use it afterward.

        However, to do what you want to do you'd have to put a lot of load on the
        application itself which uses MARF. The application would contain the
        business logic necessary to do the search and call on MARF when needed.
        Like SpeakerIdentApp is a sample MARF application to do a task of speaker
        biometrics, you have to build an equivalent for pattern search of the
        desired fingerprint. That means of course you'd have to have the reference
        music available somewhere. Then go through the stream in chunks and
        compute either the smallest distance or highest cosine similarity score
        after certain threshold of each chunk to your fingerprint, when found
        there is a strong liklihood of the match. Another way, is to convert both
        the song and fingerprint into the frequency domain from the time domain,
        and see of the fingerprints' frequencies appear in the song -- in this
        latter case you don't need to do stream pattern analysis, but can just
        accumulate the spectrum of the entire song e.g. using FFT. The more
        details are needed, the larger the FFT window should be (e.g. 1024 or more
        instead of default 512). You may also need to increase the quality of the
        sampling frequency in the WAVLoader (the default is 8 kHz, which is an
        analog phone line quality) to something significantly higher.

        -s

        --
        Serguei A. Mokhov, PhD Candidate | /~\ The ASCII
        Computer Science and Software Engineering & | \ / Ribbon Campaign