Hey yall..

  • Katie Sers
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
      Hey yall.. my name Is Katie.. I'm from a pretty aw some marching band down here in Louisiana.. A little back ground about us.. we are going on 37 years of perfect scores in every competition we compete in.. we Travel all across the states during the year to compete.. We are called the Rebel Band.. our uniforms are obviously like the confederate soldiers.. since we are from the south.. we have close to 300 people in our marching Band this year.. our opener is El Toro arranged by R. Barrett.. its an aw some and powerful piece.. we practice everyday for a few hours.. and during the summer for four hours a day for a few weeks.. This is my senior year.. and I'm so proud of sticking in it and thru all the ruff training.. since I'm new to the group.. Ill tell you a little bit about me.. I'm 17 years old.. I work at an Animal Hospital everyday except Sunday.. bummer lol.. On the weekends.. you know how it is.. me and my friends just chill around.. shoot pool.. I love music.. even though I'm
      not a band nerd.. but music gets me away from some things.. i wish everyone in the world can experience the excitement of being in a marching band.. I started off playing clarinet.. then I moved to Bassoon my freshman/sophomore year.. I taught my self how to play it.. and now its one of my favorite things to play.. i also last year picked up on the berry sax.. and play that in our jazz band.. GIRL WITH A BERRY.. rawk on.. haha.. so this year for marching band.. I have decided to break my neck.. literally.. and play my senior year on berry.. I hope I have fun lol.... I drive a white mustang.. my preppy pony.. which i hate.. lol.. I had to add some katie flavor and add my dixie horn to it lol.. well umm that is about it I guess.. i would be happy to answer any question.. and excited to get to know yall soon!!!!! thanks for reading this..

    • Jim Hampton
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2003
        Hello, Katie!

        A baritone sax! That is a pretty massive instrument. I do remember a Dixieland jazz group in Rochester, NY, back in the 70's. I took one look at that sax and had to ask the question. The sax sat on the floor and the guy played the thing from a barstool. Yep, a bass sax! I think you'd move that with a tow motor LOL. Only bass sax I've ever seen. Seriously, a baritone sax is one very massive instrument to have hanging from your neck!

        Myself, I love some of the music. A lot of it. I live in the city of Rochester, and after hearing all the boom boxes, I subscribed to a pay to download music service - and loaded up with ammunition for my 700 watt entertainment center. With the usual assortment of speakers and 200 watt bass, I also have some sound reinforcement stuff (sort of old now, but quite efficient in converting watts to air movement with the 18 inch sub woofer and horns for the rest) along with amps. I was really looking forward to the idiot across the street who played that stupid boom box 10 dB into distortion. I was all primed with some nice stuff (The Thunderer, The Washington Post March, and - my favorite - The Stars and Stripes Forever). I love (and was ready with the power) that fortissimo (or, perhaps it is sfortzando) near the end with every instrument screaming. Oh, I was ready. Then the idiot moved away that spring. Dang! LOL.

        Kind regards from Rochester, NY
        Jim

[...]

        ---