437Latinidad 11/13: 10th Anniversary - Online Book Publicity

  • marcelalandres
    Nov 6, 2013

      Latinidad 11/13: 10th Anniversary – Online Book Publicity

      Contents:

      1. Saludos

      2. Q&A: Fauzia Burke

      3. Resources: On-The-Verge Emerging Voices Award

      1. Saludos

      In continuation of my celebration of Latinidad's tenth anniversary, I am

      culling the best advice and advisors from back issues to help you get

      published. Previously, I've discussed managing money and time, writing

      classes, critique groups, the revision process, the submission process,

      writing for magazines, and traditional publicity. This month’s focus is on

      online publicity.

      Technology has revolutionized how books are read, and how they are

      marketed. What hasn’t changed is that authors are expected to take the

      lead in promoting their work. Thanks to social media, writers have the

      tools to cultivate a following. To learn how to use those tools, read this

      month’s Q&A with online book publicity expert Fauzia Burke.

      Helping Latinos get published,

      Marcela Landres

      marcelalandres@...

      http://www.marcelalandres.com/

      2. Q&A

      Fauzia Burke is the Founder and President of FSB Associates, a web

      Publicity and social media firm specializing in creating awareness for books

      and authors. Founded in 1995, FSB's mission is to give authors an

      opportunity to promote their work to an eager, targeted audience online.

      For more information, visit http://www.fsbassociates.com/ and for web

      publicity and social media news, follow Fauzia on

      http://twitter.com/WebSnapshot

      Q: What are the advantages of online book publicity vs. traditional book

      publicity?

      A: The Internet offers longevity. Web features and links are available to

      readers now, and new readers months and years from now. Like a

      snowball rolling down a hill, these features are able to grow thanks in large

      part to social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, which thrive on a

      constant flow of information. Unlike traditional publicity, such as

      advertising, TV appearances, print features, speaking engagements and

      radio interviews, all web features are linked directly to a bookseller or the

      author. This takes the potential reader from a place of "liking" the book to

      buying the book with one click of a mouse.

      Today's readers are tech savvy, resourceful, and have higher expectations

      Of publishers and authors. Online book publicity allows these readers to

      get the information they need immediately and to share that information

      with their own social network. Nowadays, readers don't just buy a book,

      they want to receive a community with their book. The bottom line is that

      publishers and authors need to evolve their marketing and publishing

      strategies to accommodate a new kind of reader, a reader whose

      expectations involve more interaction and community.

      Q: What mistakes do authors make when they promote their books online?

      A: The biggest mistake an author can make in terms of promoting their

      books online is not actively engaging in social media and taking

      the time to establish a unique digital footprint. Many authors feel

      that by building a Website, they have covered their bases online.

      However, it is not that easy anymore. If I were an author in

      today's competitive market, I would consider the time I spend

      developing my online platform and building my brand on the Web

      as an extension of my job as a writer. Publishing a book or any

      professional writing is a small business and authors should look

      at it as such. Now, online branding is not a luxury or an

      afterthought—it is a necessity.

      We are seeing the impact of social media in every direction and in every

      medium. There are 105 million users on Twitter and they send 50 million

      tweets per day. We are in an age of authenticity and people want to know

      about the authors that speak to them. Twitter makes it very easy to share

      information, stay connected, and to "follow" your favorite authors and

      publishers. Using social media applications like Tweet Reach, a search

      engine "powered by tweets," allows you to monitor how many people were

      reached by your tweet. Lasting visibility and publicity is never based on a

      single individual, one tweet or post, but an array of contributors.

      Online publicity hits are more important than ever. Each time you get a

      review or feature, it becomes something that you can Tweet about or post

      to Facebook. Getting the placement is simply not enough; you have to

      utilize a variety of these social media applications in order to share the

      feature with your social network. Sharing is the key to increased visibility

      and exposure for a book. In fact, the daily mantra at FSB has evolved into,

      "If it can't be shared, it shouldn't be done!" The more features you get, the

      more exposure you can generate on social media sites. You need to bring

      each piece of publicity and recognition full circle by sharing it with your

      social network.

      Q: What online book publicity tips can you offer to authors?

      A: No surprise here, but "word of mouth" on Twitter spreads very quickly.

      The word can spread very fast within a 24-hour period, so the more

      information available about you, your work, and your interests, the greater

      the chance of gaining a fan, a feature, or a sale. With that said, I urge you

      to start the chatter!

      Please be social, share yourself, and be authentic. Make sure that you

      have a variety of places where you can share information and grow your

      features, publicize your book, and share your successes. All of these

      outlets provide more exposure for your book and help to establish a

      strong digital footprint. Publicity breeds more publicity. So, my advice is

      to chat it up, be social, and continue building a social network. However,

      you must remember not to be a living, breathing advertisement. My rule of

      thumb on sharing is a 4 to 1 ratio. You can post something

      self-promotional if you post 4 other non-promotional links that are

      helpful to your followers. The key is to build credibility.

      Q: What changes or trends do you predict in online book publicity?

      A: Content development is going to continue to grow in importance.

      Videos and slide presentations offer readers a new way to interact with

      their favorite authors. Recently, we posted a slideshow with "Five Tips to

      Being Happy at Work" on slideshare.net. It is a helpful and useful resource

      for our clients and, at the end of the presentation, we can give our viewers

      "Calls to Action" by embedding links to online booksellers, and author's

      websites. The benefit of this particular strategy is that the views of the

      slideshow can be seen just like YouTube, and it can also be easily shared

      on Facebook and Twitter through one-click-sharing. Additionally, the

      slideshow has great SEO's and is readily available in the search results of

      all major search engines. Being able to embed links to online marketplaces

      such as Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com into the presentation is a

      crucial way to ensure that an inclined buyer is given the opportunity to

      purchase the title on the spot.

      Q: Other than your fabulous blog on The Huffington Post, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/searchS/?q=fauzia+burke, what other

      blogs, web sites, and/or books do you recommend to writers who wish

      to learn more about online book publicity?

      A: Books:

      Engage by Brian Solis

      Trust Agents by Chris Brogan

      The New Rules of Marketing and PR, 2nd Edition by David Meerman Scott

      Twitter Power by Joel Comm & Anthony Robbins

      The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs by Carmine Gallo

      The Referral Engine by John Jantsch

      Blogs:

      http://www.copyblogger.com/

      http://sethgodin.typepad.com/

      http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/

      http://www.personalbrandingblog.com/

      Sites:

      http://marketing.alltop.com/

      http://social-media.alltop.com/

      Great reference sites:

      http://listorious.com/

      http://addictomatic.com/

      http://twittercounter.com/

      http://www.blogpulse.com/

      http://hootsuite.com/

      http://tweetreach.com/

      3. Resources

      HOW EDITORS THINK

      "I read How Editors Think in one sitting and was engaged from beginning to

      end. It is well written, highly informative, and humorous—I found myself

      laughing out-loud in a few spots! Thanks for sharing the secrets of the trade."

      —Mayra Lazara Dole, author of Down to the Bone

      Inspired by my experience as a former Simon & Schuster editor, How

      Editors Think: The Real Reason They Rejected You reveals what it

      really takes to get published. For more information, visit:

      http://www.marcelalandres.com/E-book.html

      ON-THE-VERGE EMERGING VOICES AWARD

      Deadline: November 15

      The SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) offers grants to two writers or illustrators who are from an ethnic and/or cultural background that is traditionally under-represented in children’s literature in America. For more information, visit http://www.scbwi.org/

      *****

      $20,000 SHORT FICTION COLLECTION AWARD

      Deadline: November 15

      The Story Prize is an annual book award honoring the author of an outstanding collection of short fiction with a $20,000 cash award. Authors may enter eligible works. For more information, visit http://www.thestoryprize.org/

      *****

      FLASH FICTION CONTEST

      Deadline: November 21

      Unstuck is a journal that emphasizes literary fiction with elements of the fantastic, the futuristic, or the surreal—a broad category that would include the work of writers as diverse as Borges and Vonnegut. They seek flash fiction with fewer than 1000 words. For more information, visit http://www.unstuckbooks.org/

      *****

      $4048 SHORT STORY PRIZE

      Deadline: November 30

      The Fish Short Story Prize offers approximately $4048 and publication in the Fish Publishing anthology for a short story. For more information, visit http://www.fishpublishing.com/

      *****

      NACCS TEJAS AWARD FOR FICTION

      Deadline: December 3

      The National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies seeks a novel or collection of short stories that best represents a significant topic related to the Mexican American experience in Texas. Authors may self-nominate. For more information, visit http://tinyurl.com/k8lso5q

      *****

      NACCS TEJAS AWARD FOR YOUNG ADULT FICTION

      Deadline: December 3

      The National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies seeks a young adult novel or young adult collection of short stories that best represents a significant topic related to the Mexican American experience in Texas. Authors may self-nominate. For more information, visit http://tinyurl.com/k8lso5q

      *****

      PERSONAL ESSAY CONTEST

      Deadline: December 6

      Ladies’ Home Journal offers $3000 and possible publication for a personal essay on the theme “The Best Decision I Ever Made.” For more information, visit http://www.lhj.com/essaycontest

      *****

      SCHOLARSHIPS FOR WRITERS OF COLOR

      The Vermont College of Fine Arts (VCFA) and Barry Goldblatt Literary, LLC announce the creation of The Angela Johnson Scholarship, a talent-based grant for writers of color attending the Writing for Children & Young Adults Master of Fine Arts program. The $5,000 scholarship will be awarded to up to two students annually. For more information, e-mail ann.cardinal@... and put “Angela Johnson Scholarship” in the subject line.

      *****

      SEEKING MOM SUBMISSIONS

      Brain, Child is the largest literary magazine for mothers, a unique amalgamation of The New Yorker and Parenting. Their mission is to bring the voices of women of different backgrounds and circumstances together on the page, on their website, and on their blog. For more information, visit http://www.brainchildmag.com/

      *****

      WRITING THROUGH YOUR DIVORCE BLOG

      If you’ve been divorced for years, remarried after divorce, or if you’re thinking about filing next week, the editors of the blog Writing Through Your Divorce want to read your work. They seek personal essays, short fiction, experimental fiction, and poetry. For more information, visit http://writingdivorce.com/submissions

      *****

      KNOWLEDGE IS POWER ONLY WHEN SHARED

      Please forward Latinidad® widely.

      For more resources, visit http://www.marcelalandres.com/resources.html

      SUCCESS STORIES

      Has Latinidad® been of help to you? E-mail your success stories to

      marcelalandres@...

      *****

      SHARE

      Want to see your announcement in an upcoming issue of Latinidad®? E-mail

      your postings to marcelalandres@...

      *****

      REPRINTS

      You are welcome to reprint part or all of this e-zine; please credit

      Latinidad® and include a link to http://www.marcelalandres.com/

      *****

      UNSUBSCRIBE/UPDATE E-MAIL ADDRESS

      “A writer needs to realize he can't just sit home and write. He must market,

      promote, blog, Twitter, travel, call, cajole, shake hands, interpretative dance,

      whatever it takes to build a platform."

      —Wade Rouse

      Latinidad® © 2003 by Marcela Landres

      Marcela Landres

      Author of the e-book "How Editors Think: The Real Reason They Rejected You"

      http://www.marcelalandres.com/