413Latinidad - 7/12-8/12: Travel Writing 2.0

  • desi
    Jul 5, 2012
      Latinidad – 7/12-8/12: Travel Writing 2.0

      Contents:
      1. Saludos
      2. Q&A: Tim Leffel
      3. Resources: Travel Writers Conference

      BEFORE YOU SEND IT OUT

      "In one hour on the phone with Marcela, I learned practical strategies
      about promotion, publicity, and the business side of the publishing
      industry that a doctorate in literature and several writing workshops
      never covered. Marcela is friendly, frank, and fun. She pulls no punches,
      and she followed up after our conversation with resources tailored to my
      particular project. Especially as a writer working far from New York, I was
      so helped by her knowledge and experience."
      --Joy Castro, author of Hell or High Water, http://www.joycastro.com

      Ready to work with a professional editor? Visit
      http://www.marcelalandres.com/services.html

      1. Saludos

      Writers who are tempted to try their hand at travel writing must first
      read Travel Writing 2.0: Earning Money From Your Travels in the New
      Media Landscape by Tim Leffel. Whether you seek to publish magazine
      articles, guidebooks, or blogs, Leffel offers timely, no-nonsense advice
      based on his own career as an award-winning travel writer. In addition,
      he shares hard-earned wisdom from fifty-two other working travel writers
      plus select editors who hire freelancers or book authors. To learn more,
      read this month's Q&A with Leffel.

      Helping Latinos get published,
      Marcela Landres
      marcelalandres@...
      http://www.marcelalandres.com/

      2. Q&A

      Award-winning travel writer Tim Leffel is author of The World's Cheapest
      Destinations, Travel Writing 2.0, and Make Your Travel Dollars Worth a
      Fortune: The Contrarian Traveler's Guide to Getting More for Less. He is
      also co-author of Traveler's Tool Kit: Mexico and Central America and is
      editor of the narrative web publication Perceptive Travel,
      http://perceptivetravel.com/. He splits his time between homes in Florida
      and Mexico. For more information, visit http://travel.booklocker.com/ and
      http://travelwriting2.com/.

      Q: How did you get started as a travel writer?

      A: I used to do a good bit of corporate writing working for RCA Records,
      so when my now-wife and I started off on a year-long trip around the
      world, I starting pitching some articles and got some things published. I
      also started reviewing hotels for a trade publication and I'm still doing
      that a fair bit almost two decades on. It was part-time for a long time,
      but about five years ago I went all-in and I don't do anything else on the
      side anymore.

      Q: If you knew then what you know now, what would you have done differently?

      A: Before the Internet, I wouldn't have done much differently except
      pitching more small stories about my own region/city. After the Internet
      came along, I should have moved a bit faster to expand beyond my first
      blog. All in all, I read a lot and got a lot of good advice along the way, so
      no major blunders thankfully.

      Q: What three mistakes should newbie travel writers avoid?

      A: Trying to do things in the wrong order: like pitching Travel & Leisure
      before they've had anything published elsewhere. Not reading enough to
      know what's good (especially not enough books), not writing often enough,
      not keeping a journal while traveling. Most importantly, though, they need
      to find a unique niche or point of view that's fresh. Become an expert at
      that instead of being lost in a sea of generalists.

      Q: Alternatively, what are three signs of a top-notch travel writer?

      A: Highly observant, very open-minded, very curious. If those things are
      in place, they're usually a pretty good writer with enough practice.
      Professionalism matters more than anything to editors, though. Most would
      prefer an average writer who follows instructions well and submits good
      copy on time over one who's brilliant but always late or sloppy.

      Q: Who is your agent and how did you meet him/her? If you don't have an
      agent, how did you secure publication of your books The World's Cheapest
      Destinations, Traveler's Tool Kit: Mexico and Central America, Make Your
      Travel Dollars Worth a Fortune, and Travel Writing 2.0?

      A: I've only used an agent for two things: getting Make Your Travel Dollars
      Worth a Fortune published and getting Italian rights sold for one of the
      other books. The first could have been accomplished without one if I'd
      gone direct, so an agent really only helps if you've got something that will
      pull in a huge advance. Not many travel books meet that criterion. It's far
      more profitable to go print on demand. Bookstores don't matter much anymore.

      Q: Aside from your uber-sensible book, Travel Writing 2.0, what resources
      would you recommend to folks who want to learn more about travel writing?

      A: The TravelWriting2.0 blog (http://travelwriting2.com/ ) and monthly
      newsletter, also Travel Writers Exchange
      (http://www.travel-writers-exchange.com/ ), MediaKitty
      (http://www.mediakitty.com/ ), and the Wooden Horse Database
      (http://www.woodenhorsepub.com/ ) if you're pitching print editors. Go
      to conferences for travel writers or bloggers. I've gotten far more career
      boosts from networking in person than anything else I've done. After
      you've got the basics down, it's all tweaks and new opportunities. The
      latter come from who you know as often as not.

      Q: Do you have upcoming projects that my readers should have on their radar?

      A: I just started a new site called Hotel-Scoop.com
      (http://www.hotel-scoop.com/ ) that features reviews of lodging around
      the world. There are ten professional writers besides me. Most of us
      worked for a site that got bought by Groupon and shut down their blogs.
      I saw an opportunity open up to fill the gap and pounced on it. That's
      been part of my success I guess: seeing a hole in the marketplace and filling it.

      3. Resources

      HOW EDITORS THINK

      "I read How Editors Think in one sitting and was engaged from beginning to
      end. It is well written, highly informative, and humorous—I found myself
      laughing out-loud in a few spots! Thanks for sharing the secrets of the trade."
      —Mayra Lazara Dole, author of Down to the Bone

      Inspired by my experience as a former Simon & Schuster editor, How Editors
      Think: The Real Reason They Rejected You reveals what it really takes to get
      published. For more information, visit:
      http://www.marcelalandres.com/E-book.html

      TRAVEL WRITERS CONFERENCE
      Dates: August 9-12
      The Book Passage Travel Writers & Photographers Conference offers
      workshops in the morning, a full afternoon of panels and discussions, and
      evening faculty presentations. The faculty includes publishers, magazine
      editors, photographers, travel essayists, food writers, restaurateurs,
      guidebook writers, and more. For more information, visit
      http://www.bookpassage.com/travel-writers-photographers-conference
      *****
      OMEGA INSTITUTE MEMOIR FESTIVAL
      Dates: August 10-12
      Offers interactive writing workshops, discussions, readings, and the chance
      to share your own work in public. Faculty includes Andre Dubus III, Malachy
      McCourt, and Melissa Coleman. For more information, visit
      http://www.eomega.org/
      *****
      SEEKING LATINO BASEBALL FICTION
      Deadline: August 31
      VAO Publishing seeks submissions for the forthcoming anthology Arriba
      Baseball!: A Collection of Latino/a Baseball Fiction. Translations and works
      in Spanish will be considered. For more information, visit
      http://publishing.valartout.org/arriba-baseball/
      *****
      POETRY/SHORT STORY COLLECTION CONTEST
      Deadline: August 31
      Black Lawrence Press offers The St. Lawrence Book Award for an
      unpublished collection of poems or short stories. The winner will receive
      book publication and a $1,000 cash award. For more information, visit
      http://www.blacklawrence.com/stlawrence_1.html
      *****
      KIMMEL HARDING NELSON CENTER FOR THE ARTS
      Deadline: September 1
      Each resident receives a $100 stipend per week, free housing, and a
      separate studio. Residencies are available for two to eight week stays. The
      Center does not discriminate on the basis of disability, sex, age, race,
      religion, or national origin. For more information, visit
      http://www.khncenterforthearts.org/
      *****
      POPULAR FICTION AWARDS
      Deadline: September 14
      Grand prize includes $2500 and a trip to the Writer's Digest Conference
      in New York City. Categories include: romance, mystery/crime fiction,
      science-fiction/fantasy, thriller/suspense, horror, and young adult fiction.
      For more information, visit http://tinyurl.com/7pppycv
      *****
      BOOKS FOR A BETTER LIFE AWARDS
      Deadline: September 14
      Honors the best self-help books published this year. Categories include:
      Childcare/Parenting, Cookbook, First Book, Green, Inspirational Memoir,
      Motivational, Psychology, Relationships, Spiritual, Wellness and Young
      Adult/Nonfiction. Publishers, agents, and authors are invited to submit
      entries. For more information, visit http://tinyurl.com/3952y2f
      *****
      RAGDALE ARTIST'S RETREAT
      Deadline: September 15
      Ragdale offers residencies from two weeks to two months to emerging
      and established writers from all over the world. Financial aid is available
      on a limited basis. Past residents include Francisco Aragon, Loida Maritza
      Perez, and Achy Obejas. For more information, visit
      http://www.ragdale.org/
      *****
      EROTIC ROMANCE PUBLISHER SEEKS A SEXY LATINO BESTSELLER
      Does Fifty Shades of Grey have you ready to heat things up? Ellora's Cave
      seeks erotica featuring Latino protagonists. Themes can include
      male/male, BDSM, paranormal, ménage, vampire, shapeshifter, medieval,
      regency, etc. All categories are welcome: sci-fi, romantic suspense,
      western, historical, contemporary, erotic horror, time-travel, etc. Send
      the manuscript to submissions@... and enter "Latinidad" in
      the subject line. For more information about Ellora's Cave, visit
      http://www.jasminejade.com/
      *****
      AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER: COUNT ON ME
      Count on Me: Tales of Sisterhoods and Fierce Friendships by Las
      Comadres, edited by Adriana V. Lopez
      Beloved bestselling Latino authors, including Esmeralda Santiago, Carolina
      De Robertis, Stephanie Elizondo Griest, Lorraine Lopez, Fabiola Santiago,
      Teresa Rodriguez, Sofia Quintero, Reyna Grande, Daisy Martinez, Michelle
      Herrera Mulligan, Dr. Ana Nogales, and Luis Alberto Urrea, share moving
      personal stories of the many ways that sisterly bonds have powerfully
      impacted their lives. For more information, visit
      http://www.lascomadres.org/lco/lco-eng/events/preorder_popup.html
      *****
      KNOWLEDGE IS POWER ONLY WHEN SHARED
      Please forward Latinidad® widely.

      For more resources, visit http://www.marcelalandres.com/resources.html

      SUCCESS STORIES
      Has Latinidad® been of help to you? E-mail your success stories to
      marcelalandres@...
      *****
      SHARE
      Want to see your announcement in an upcoming issue of Latinidad®? E-mail
      your postings to marcelalandres@...
      *****
      REPRINTS
      You are welcome to reprint part or all of this e-zine; please credit
      Latinidad® and include a link to http://www.marcelalandres.com/
      *****
      UNSUBSCRIBE/UPDATE E-MAIL ADDRESS
      Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/marcelalandres/

      "If Bruce Springsteen, Harlan Howard, or Tom Waits can tell a character's
      whole story in four minutes, maybe you don't need as many words as
      you think to make an impact."
      --Tim Leffel, Travel Writing 2.0

      Latinidad® © 2003 by Marcela Landres

      Marcela Landres
      Author of the e-book "How Editors Think: The Real Reason They Rejected You"
      http://www.marcelalandres.com/