Welcome New Member

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2004
      Dear list,
      I hope your holidays went well. How did the Cuddiria turn out?

      I just signed on a new member named Larry. His ancestral family name is
      Marano and his family is from Amantea. Does anyone know where Amantea
      is and is anyone aware of any affiliation of the surname Marano with our
      families' town of Marano Marchesato or Principato?

      Lisa Perkins
    • JAAndrzzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2004
        Dear Lisa and Larry,
                According to my map, Amantea is about 20 kilometers southwest of Marano M and P, right on the coast. I hope this helps
                        John
      • lprb2003
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2004
          --- In maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com, JAAndrzzi@a... wrote:
          > Dear Lisa and Larry,
          > According to my map, Amantea is about 20 kilometers
          southwest of
          > Marano M and P, right on the coast. I hope this helps
          > John

          John,

          My grandfather, Antonio Marano, was from Amantea. Because he was an
          orphan, I'm curious if Marano is his real last name. I read on the
          internet that some last names were given by the name of the town,
          city or province in which they were born. Can you verify? Also, I
          would like to get records from Italy--birth certificates, military
          records etc., any advice or reputable web sites you could offer
          would be very helpful. Thanks,

          Larry
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2004
            Larry,
            Have you done any research of the microfilms of civil
            records from Amantea? I noticed that they do have
            birth, marriage and death records from 1809-1910
            available for loan at the Mormon Family History
            Centers. If you have, I would be curious what records
            you have viewed. It would be interesting to know if a
            birth record could be located in Amantea for him.
            Perhaps there could be some explanation on that record
            why the name Marano would have been chosen for him.
            Lisa

          • JAAndrzzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2004
              Dear Larry,
                      The message from Lisa gives one source of information via the local Mormon Family History Library: you could send for microfilms of births, etc. and look up the name Marano. There may also be some sort of records for orphans that would be available at the town hall in Amantea - you could write there. You could also write to the church in Amantea for baptism records, etc. The state archives in Cosenza would have the military records. They've had surnames in Italy for about 500 years. Names were chosen in many ways: sometimes by where a person was from, their occupation, the first name of their father, personal characteristics, etc. See Joseph Fucilla's book, "Our Italian Surnames" ( his parents were immigrants from La Motta, which is near Cosenza). On p. 111 he has a note re. the name Marano/Marrano: it may be a name taken by Jewish Italians, or it could mean a rustic or an infidel.
                      Good luck in your research.
                          John
            • Larry Pronko
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 16, 2004
                John,

                I will pick up the book you reccomended. I did hear about the Jewish Italian version from a Jewish friend. Thanks for your help.

                Larry

                JAAndrzzi@... wrote:
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Larry Pronko
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 16, 2004
                  Lisa,

                  I have not tried to get information from Italy becuase I'm still trying to retrieve documents from New York. Two things I am aware of, during the Spanish Inqusition, Jews who were forced to take up Christianity were also known as Marranos--AKA pigs. I've read this and a former girlfriend who's Jewish mentioned this to me. I also read on the internet that newborns were given the name of the town, province etc. which came from a saints name. Although I cannot prove it, because my Grandfather was  an orphan I have some doubts that Marano is his real last name. I hope to secure his marriage liscense or other documents which may help to shead some lifght on this. Thanks so much for your help and input.

                  Larry

                  --- lprb2003 <lprb2003@...> wrote:
                  > --- In maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com,
                  > JAAndrzzi@a... wrote:
                  > > Dear Lisa and Larry,
                  > >         According to my map, Amantea is about 20
                  > kilometers
                  > southwest of
                  > > Marano M and P, right on the coast. I hope this
                  > helps
                  > >                 John
                  >
                  > John,
                  >
                  > My grandfather, Antonio Marano, was from Amantea.
                  > Because he was an
                  > orphan, I'm curious if Marano is his real last name.
                  > I read on the
                  > internet that some last names were given by the name
                  > of the town,
                  > city or province in which they were born. Can you
                  > verify? Also, I
                  > would like to get records from Italy--birth
                  > certificates, military
                  > records  etc., any advice or reputable web sites you
                  > could offer
                  > would be very helpful. Thanks,
                  >
                  > Larry

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 16, 2004
                    Larry,
                    Very interesting. I know that my family lore holds that my family
                    (Barbieri) was jewish at one time and came from the North to flee
                    persecution, but I have not been able to substantiate this in my
                    research (which only goes to lat 1700's - the civil record coverage.)

                    Also, your email to John preceding this said something about a book he
                    recommended. I missed his email ... what book?

                    Lisa

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 16, 2004
                      Speaking of family lore ...

                      One thing that drives me is to try to substantiate the family lore that
                      I have heard. For an instance, in addition to the story about my family
                      one time being Jews and fleeing from the North to avoid persecution, I
                      also heard that the first member of the Barbieri family ended up in
                      Marano because he did away with a business partner for cheating him and
                      had to flee to avoid arrest - and that the family came from Spain, not
                      Northern Italy. Another branch of my family (Basile) was supposed to
                      have French blood. None of these have I been able to find records of.

                      What about any of you - are there any interesting stories about your
                      family that you would like to find proof of?

                      Lisa

                    • rose pennington
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 17, 2004
                        Hi Lisa,

                        To answer your question asking if anyone is interested in finding proof about family stories, etc....yes, I'm very interested in that.  My father's maternal grandmother's maiden name was Presta.  (Her daughter, my grandmother, then married a man whose surname was Presta, thus my father's surname was Presta.  Both families insisted they were not related to each other; that Presta was just a common name in Marano Principato.  I've alway's been curious about how it could be that in such a small town there were two families with the same last name who weren't related.  A cousin told me of a family in Marano P. that had supposedly come there from a Baltic country.  The story goes they adopted the surname Presta because it was so common and they felt it would enable them to fit in better.  Anyone know anything about that?  Perhaps that would explain the two unrelated Presta families in my family forest.  We also have cousins with the surname Cairo - anyone have anything on that one?   Then there are our cousins with the surname "Russo".  I once came across a tidbit mentioning something about the Russos in Calabria in about the 16th century originally hailing from Russia!  Anyone have anything on that?   And finally, my grandmother was a "Totera".  A similar name, Totero, was listed on the Arberesh site as being an Albanian/Greek family surname - one of those families who came to Calabria in the 15th century.  I'd love to know if any stories survived about the Totera family and the Arberesh, if there is a connection.  Thanks!

                        Rose