Maranesi to Ellis Island

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2003
      Dear Maranesi Research Group,
      I have just completed a project using an on-line utility which allows a
      search of the Ellis Island records by town name. I used "Marano" as my
      criteria and was able to post alphabetical indecis of everyone who was
      indexed as coming into Ellis Island from a town name beginning with
      "Marano". Each name contains a link to the applicable passenger record
      at the Ellis Island web site.

      I hope that this list will facilitate finding relatives who might have
      been indexed with their name transcribed incorrectly (For Aiello, check
      Acello....For Ruffolo, check Buffolo, etc).

      Check it out!

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilfmm/Ellis/ME.htm
      <http://www.rootsweb.com/%7Eilfmm/Ellis/ME.htm>

      Lisa Perkins
    • Jeff Caracci
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2003
        Lisa,

        Thanks for creating the list of Ellis Island records.

        I found that my great-grandmother Rose Cairo's Ellis Island record
        listed the town of origination as Manano. I'm not sure how you compiled
        the list, but you might want to see if there are any others out there
        with Manano rather than Marano.

        Could you share information about the utility that you used to search by
        town name? I would like to search for some Rende records.

        Thanks,

        Jeff Caracci
      • Peter L. Belmonte
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 16, 2003
          Dear Lisa,
          Thanks for the valuable list! I do want to echo what you and others have
          said: Not all Maranesi can be found easily. My great-grandfather, Giacomo
          Spizzirri, made six trips between 1891 and 1924--I've found manifests for
          five of the trips, but none appear on the list you obtained. Once (in 1906)
          the name appeared "Spizzini" vs Spizzirri; sometimes (as in the 1891
          example) the town is fairly easily read ("Marano"), but the transcribers
          didn't get it right; once (in 1913) he was listed among the US citizens (the
          only time I found that, even though he became a citizen in 1894). The
          process can be exasperating, but the search utility will give us another
          tool.
          Pete Belmonte
        • Scarlat1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2003
            Dear Peter,

            It was of interest to me that you found your GGrandfather under the spelling in the index of EI as Spizzini. I too have Spizzirri's in my familytree and have had a hard time putting it together. I decided to take your suggestion and look in the Spizzini's and sure enough I found my Joseph from San Vincenzo La Costa going to Toronto and the comment in the place of whom you are visiting was "Cousin Frc. Scarlato" who was my GGrandfather, I have not been able to find his Immg record but just to find his cousin's and to see his name, was a thrill! Thanks for your suggestion!

            Christina Scarlato Urfer
          • Peter L. Belmonte
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 20, 2003
              Dear Christina,
              I'm glad you were able to find some info on your Spizzirris. I suppose most
              of us have stories of improperly written and/or transcribed manifests (and
              other documents). It illustrates the need for creativity and imagination in
              our research.
              Pete Belmonte