Introduction and research and contribution to list.

  • Graham Mehl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2002
      Greetings one and all. I was permitted the honor of joining
      your group. I am not sure how active it is, but I am interested
      in finding out. I was asked to introduce myself to the list.

      My name is Graham L. Mehl. I have been having trouble lately
      researching information on the Internet regarding my ancestors.
      I just have not been able to find a lead of any sort.
      I have frequently gone to ancestry.com for the SSDI. I
      occasionally got emails from them. The latest was a offer to
      gain access to their database on a trial period. I had no luck
      finding information I set out to find. However, I decided to see
      if I could trace another lineage via censor records in Kenosha, WI.
      Eventually I found my way to rootsweb.com and into the
      marano database. I believe after three years, I found a connection
      to Italy through your database. I hired a professional
      genealogist to help me make a concrete connection to Italy
      (this is where my difficulties lied). And that provided my
      missing link to the marano database.

      Here is a short list of surnames I have been reviewing.

      BARTOLO, BELMONTE , BILOTTI, CAIRA, CONFORTI ,
      COVELLI, COVELLO, DEBARTOLO, LAMACCIA,
      MOLINERO, RICCHIO, RITACCA, RUFFALO, RUFFOLO,
      SALERNO, SESSA, SPIZZIRRI

      Thus far I have found two connections in my records to
      the Marano database now.

      1 Luigi Caira b: ABT. 1771 d: AFT. 1830
      + Rachela Spizzirri b: BEF. 1801 d: AFT. 1830
      2 Antonio Caira b: BET. 1801 - 1804 d: AFT. 1859
      + Maria Ruffolo b: BET. 1807 - 1808 d: AFT. 1859
      3 Giuseppina Caira b: 19 FEB 1834
      + Salvadore Conforti b: 6 AUG 1835
      2 Fortunata Cairo b: ABT. 1807 d: 15 NOV 1811
      2 Giovanni Caira b: 2 MAR 1811
      2 Fortunata Caira b: ABT. 1813
      + Pasquale Ruffolo b: ABT. 1802

      Salvadore Conforti married Giuseppina Caira and they had
      a daughter Francesca Conforti (Birth in Marano
      Marchesato, Italy and Marano Principato, Italy)
      Francesca Conforti Married in 1889 in Marano Marchesato,
      Italy to Michael Henry COVELLO.

      The second connection that I have found is within this
      lineage:

      1 Luigi Covelli b: BEF. 1846 d: AFT. 1872
      + Rosa Caira b: BEF. 1846 d: AFT. 1872
      2 Gaspare Covello b: BET. 1842 - 1846 d: AFT. 1902
      + Rachela LaMacchia b: ABT. 1854 d: AFT. 1902
      3 Luigi Covello b: ABT. 1873
      + Maria Chiappetta b: ABT. 1878

      According to my records Gaspare Covello had at least
      one other brother. The brother's name was Michael Henry
      COVELLO. Yes, this is the same person above.

      I am a direct descendant of Michael Henry Covello.
      I have been trying to find information out him and his
      ancestors. More and more that I try to dig, the more
      I want find about their lives, not just their names and
      vital statistics. I have been trying to collect very little
      detail and story I can get. Even if the story is bias.
      Every little detail could lead to something else. To help
      me to keep it all straight and to get feed back from other
      relatives, I created a web site.
      http://www.trailstone.com/FamilyTree/

      Unfortunately, most of my history started with living
      relatives, so most of the web pages are password
      protected for that reason, but a complete list of surnames \
      and names can be accessed at a minimum. I have received
      requests to allow only family members access to the
      pages.

      I would love to get more involved with the research
      that this group has done. As well as make use of it.
      I am looking for GEDCOMs for any and all of the
      related ancestors to the lineages I stated above. It would
      be greatly appreciated, so I do not have to re-type it
      all in. Thank you in advance.

      Here is the information I have regarding Michael Henry
      Covello. I hope it is useful and interesting to you.

      Michael Henry Covello's Parents: Luigi COVELLO
      and Rosa CAIRA. Michael was married to Francesca
      CONFORTI in 1889 in Marano Marchesato, Italy
      Their Children were:
      Mariano COVELLI born on 19 May 1893 in Consenza, Italy. He died on 22 Jan
      1955 in Chicago, Illinois. He was married to Anne DEBARTOLO
      Henry Dominic COVELLI was born on 21 Sep 1898 in Marano Principato, Italy.
      He died on 23 Oct 1951 in St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, Illinois.
      Filiberto Francesco COVELLI was born on 14 Dec 1892 in Italy. He was married
      to Emilia MOLINERO
      Concetta COVELLI died after 1955 in Kenosha, Wisconsin USA.
      Angelina COVELLI was born in 1899 in Marano Principato, Italy. She died
      after 1955

      Michael Henry COVELLO immigrated between 1918 and 1923 to Kenosha, Wisconsin
      USA. He
      entered the United States through Ellis Island. He emigrated between 1918 and
      1923 from Marano
      Principato, Cumuni Cosenza, Province Cosenza, Region Calabria, Italy. He was a
      Charcoal Factory
      Owner in Marano Principato, Italy. He was a Cattle Owner in Marano Principato,
      Italy. He died in Marano Principato, Italy. He was born in Marano Principato,
      Italy. He use to get workers to climb the mountains near by and get wood
      (probably Chestnut, Beach, Pines or Spruce) and transport it back on donkeys.
      Between the charcoal factory and cattle he owned, it is said he had a lot money,
      as much to be considered a millionaire before Musselini took it all away. He had
      owned lot of land for his cattle. The Covelli's emigrated to the United States
      through Ellis Island in New York, USA. Michael Henry Covelli brought two of his
      sons to the U.S. It was some time after World War II (1914-1918) and before when
      Mussolini ruled in Southern Italy (1922-1944). Michael went back to Italy to
      bring the rest of his family to the U.S., but due to the war the U.S. had with
      Italy, no emigration was possible. Those members of the family that did make it
      to the U.S. first settled in Kenosha, Wisconsin and Henry and his brother
      Michael moved to Aurora, Illinois. Angelina stayed in Italy at the time.

      The Covelli family owned tons of land and some of it was sold off, but barely
      made a dent in the over all size of the original plot of land. In 1993 or 1994
      Angelina's son traveled to the United States and gave each child of Michael
      Henry Covelli money in exchange for the land that was sold. The Land was sold to
      a school district.

      In the early 1990s it was learned by descendants in the United States that along
      with the original house built on the land a mansion was built that was beautiful
      and could be worth one million U.S. dollars. The house contained marble floors.
      The two other mansion were built for family members. They have yards that are 3
      blocks in size.

      --
      Graham L. Mehl E-mail: graham.mehl@...
      POINTers #3331 ICQ # 3803894
        Hi and welcome to the list!

        I am researching BELMONTE, CAIRA, AIELLO, CHIAPETTA, VITTORIO, MICELI, families from Marano.  I am about to order microfilm of parish records from Marano to conincide with civil records.  I will keep your names handy and if I see a connection, I will let you know as soon as I can.

        Beverly Alessandroni-Adamski
        beverly@...