Welcome Michael Moretti

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 14, 2001
      Hi Marano Group!
      I would like to welcome a new member to the group, Michael Moretti. He
      sent me the following query before signing on to the group:

      "Lisa,
      I was hoping you could help me. My name is Michael Moretti and I am
      researching my grandfather, Giacinto Moretti, who was originally from
      Morano Marchesato. According to my oldest living relative, my father's
      uncle Joseph Cosentino, my great grandfather's name was Gaetano, and my
      great grandmother's name was Luisa Guido. According to Giacinto's birth
      record information posted on Ancestry.com, Giacinto's father was
      Carmine, and his mother was Luisa Guido. There is another entry for a
      Gaetano Moretti, born the same year as "Carmine", who married Luisa
      Guido. Could "Carmine" really be Gaetano. Gaetano's father is listed
      as Giacinto, which would seem to make sense if my grandfather was named
      after his paternal grandfather. Yet, my father's oldest brother is
      named Carmen (Carmine?). I'm really confused.
      -Michael "

      My reply:
      We are looking at two (thus far unrelated) records:

      1. Marriage in 1878: Atti # 19, publication # 18, 11/29/1878
      Groom: Gaetano Moretti, age 24 (estimated birth year 1854), bracciale,
      resident and born in Marano M. son of the late Giacinto, bracciale,
      resident of Marano M., and of the living Francesca Trombino, contadina,
      resident of Marano M.
      Bride: Luisa Guido, age 28 (est. birth year 1850), contadina, resident
      and born in Marano M. Daughter of the late Carmine, pastore and
      resident of Marano M. and of the living Carolina Chiappetta, contadina,
      resident of Marano M.

      2. Birth record in 1884: Atti # 67 October 4, 1884
      Born: Giacinto Moretti
      Father: Carmine, age 30, laborer (estimated birth year 1854)
      Mother: Luisa Guido, age 29 (estimated birth year 1855)
      (I also did some digging into birth records between 1884-1890
      transcribed by our member Louise Juliani and found records for two more
      children born to Carmine Moretti and Luisa Guido (Giuseppe in 1886 and
      Carolina in 1889))

      Without further research, we cannot say that the two married couples
      mentioned above are one in the same. The discrepancies are obviously
      the name of the husband as well as the age of the mother (the Luisa
      married to Gaetano was estimated to be born in 1850, the Luisa married
      to Carmine was born about 1855.)

      We need to realize that there were so many families with the same last
      name, yet not considered "related", from this town. It is my dream,
      however, to show that everyone is more related than they think. That is
      why I appreciate these sorts of queries as well as research and
      documentation from this wonderful group of ours.

      I can see why making the assumption that Carmine is the same as Gaetano
      is tempting, because, the marriage record of Gaetano and Luisa provides
      the names of both their parents, which would provide yet another
      generation to your lineage. Alas, I do not recommend making this
      assumption.

      The first thing you need to verify is your grandfather Giacinto's
      birth. There is a chance that the Giacinto born to Carmine and Luisa (#
      2 above) is not even your grandfather. Do you know the name of your
      grandmother, the wife of Giacinto? Where were they married? If they
      married in Marano before 1910, you can find their marriage record and
      verify the names of their parents on that record.

      What are your thoughts?

      Lisa
    • michaeljmoretti@cs.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 14, 2001
        Hello To All,

        Thank you Lisa for the welcome note and thank you for the reply to my question.  I would like to introduce myself to the group.  As you already know, my name is Michael Moretti.  My quest for my family heritage really began about 5 or so years ago when my cousins and I received an impromptu family history lesson at Thanksgiving dinner from my father's Uncle Joseph Cosentino, as well as some of my elder uncles.  I had only recently seriously started to research my family history a few weeks ago when I found Lisa's fantastic Web site and this discussion group.  I can appreciate the recommendation in regard to being cautious with assumptions.  Just for the record, here is what I know and the sources I've used.

        I am certain that two entries I found for Giacinto in the Ellis Island records are for my grandfather, one in 1903 and a second in 1913. According to the Ellis Island manifest, my grandfather, Giacinto Moretti was from Marano Marchesato.   He first came to the U.S., single, at age 19, in 1903 (making his birth year 1884), through Ellis Island to Chicago, where he stayed until 1910.  He returned a second time in 1913, and is shown as being married.  The manifest notes that his destination was Lackawanna, New York, that he was previously in Chicago from 1903 to 1910, and that he was to meet his father-in-law, Ferdinando Cosentino, father of my dad's uncle Joseph Cosentino.  At this point, the 1884 birth year is the only clue I have to suggest that Giacinto, son of Carmine Moretti and Luisa Guido, might be my grandfather.  This would seem to conflict with the information provided by Joseph Cosentino, that my great-grandfather was Gaetano Moretti.

        My grandmother was Maria Cosentino Moretti.  Per Ellis Island records, she arrived at age 22 in 1914 to be with her father and her husband, Giacinto, in Lackawanna, New York.  (I happened to notice that John Adreozzi of Lackawanna is also in this discussion group).  She traveled with two small children, my aunt and uncle, ages 3 and 1.  Based on the ages of the children upon her arrival to the U.S.and the fact that Giacinto was in the U.S. until 1910, I would have to conclude that they were married in 1910.

        Unfortunately I have misplaced my notes from that Thanksgiving Day lesson, which included the names of Giacinto's siblings, and more info from the Cosentino side.  I do know that I have Cosentino relatives still living in Marano M.  I have a cousin living out of state that I believe has a rough family tree drawn from that night, which may be the key to help solve this puzzle.  I should have more information in a day or two.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

        I first found this discussion group in an attempt to contact Peter Belmonte, as I was having trouble with his e-mail address.  Peter, your name caught my eye because in researching the Ellis Island records I noticed that my grandfather traveled to the U.S. in 1903 with a Gregorio Belmonte and Raffaele de Francesco, both of Marano M.  I read the surnames listed in your direct ancestry and noticed that you had Moretti listed.  I think you also mentioned a Chicago connection in one of your posts.  Might we be related?

        I am relatively new to this and there seems to be people in this group who have been at it for quite some time.  Any information on my family, the Moretti's and the Cosentino's, or helpful hints that any of you may have would be greatly appreciated.  I look forward to hearing from you and reading all of the other great stories in this discussion group.

        Sincerely,
        Michael J. Moretti
      • Peter L. Belmonte
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 15, 2001
          Hi Michael,
          Welcome to the Marano group!  My Moretti line comes in the early 1800s.  I also have DeFrancesco and Cosentino ancestors from MM.  My Moretti's come from Antonio Moretti (b. about 1772) and his wife Cherubina Morrone.  Their daughter Caterina Moretti (b. 1979) married Pietro Pellegrino (b. 1792) and is my fourth great-grandmother.  I have some of the Moretti descendants/siblings traced, so I might be able to see if you tie in, if you can get your line traced back a few generations.  Of course, we could tie in with some other line, too!   Anyway, please keep us posted.  Welcome aboard!
          Pete
        • JAAndrzzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 15, 2001
            Dear Michael,
            Welcome to the group. Are you living in the Lackawanna area? I am
            working on a book about the Lackawanna Italians, and I have found information
            about the Moretti family. Joe Cosentino was born in Marano Principato and was
            a paesan' to my grandfather, Filiberto Covelli. Several families from Marano
            settled in Lackawanna. I hope to hear from you.
            John Andreozzi
          • michaeljmoretti@cs.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 15, 2001
              John,

              Yes, I am living in Lackawanna and I am familiar with your work.  I believe you know my dad, Joseph Moretti.  It is good to here from you and it's good to know that I have someone in the area in this group.  Maybe someday we can meet over a coffee and sandwhich at Victoria Square?

              -Michael
            • mjmoretti2001
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 11, 2005
                Lisa,

                Back when I first joined the group in November 2001, you were so
                kind to reply to my question concerning my paternal grandfather.
                OK, so it has taken me a little while to reply. I have very little
                time to devote to my research, but I continued to monitor all the
                posts from the group on a regular basis.

                As it turns out, I am fairly certain that Giacinto Moretti married
                to Luisa Guido in the birth records transcribed by Louise Juliani is
                my grandfather. According to his naturalization papers, his
                birthdate was October 4, 1884. I also know he had a sister Carolina
                born in 1889 who came to the U.S. with my grandmother, Maria
                Cosentino (born 11/7/1892), in 1914, along with my Aunt Luisa and
                Uncle Carmine, 3 years and 1 year old, respectively. Giacinto,
                Maria, and Carolina are all buried within a mile of where I live. I
                believe that Guiseppe, born in 1886 is the brother that my family
                believes went to Chicago. Ellis Island records show a Guiseppe from
                Marano Marchesato born in 1886 who went to Chicago. Census show he
                married a lady named Hannah and had four children, James, Frances,
                Dolores and Marie. This might be him, but still haven't been able
                to prove it.

                My grandmother Maria's father was Ferdinando Cosentino, and her
                mother was Aquila Conforti. Ferdinando supposedy made many trips
                back and forth across the Atlantic, but suprisingly I have found
                very little information about him. I'm not sure if my Aquila is the
                same Aquila Conforti born April 2, 1866 that is in the Peter
                Belmonte Family Tree? I'm still working on this one.

                I recently had a relative pass away who had a significant amount of
                family records and photographs, to include pictures and information
                on Ferdinando and Aquila. I'm working with my family to go through
                all of this information to find more clues. I'm still stuck with my
                original problem regarding the Gaetano Moretti/Carmine Moretti
                mystery (explained in the original email below). You had asked if I
                knew when my grandparents were married. It turns out that they were
                married May 14, 1910, in between the time my grandfather returned
                from Chicago after 7 years away, and the time he moved back to the
                U.S. in the Western New York area in 1913. According to Giacinto's
                naturalization papers, they were married in Marano Principato versus
                Marano Marchesato. My grandmother Maria's brother Joseph Cosentino,
                before he passed away, maintained that Giacinto's father's name was
                Gaetano, married to Luisa Guido. Very frustrating.

                Interesting side note, my grandfather Giacinto changed his name to
                George when he moved to the U.S. My understanding was that he used
                the pseudonym George (with a non-Italian last name that I can't
                recall at the moment) in order to improve his chances of getting
                work, given the biases and ethnic discrimination that unfortunately
                still exists today, but was much more common back then. Has anyone
                else encountered this type of thing with their ancestors?

                I really have enjoyed reading everyone's stories. I hope to visit
                Marano Marchesato some day. If anyone has any information that
                might help me, please write. If I have provided any info that ties
                into anyone else's research and if I can be of assistance, let me
                know. I hope everyone has a blessed and prosperous New Year.

                Michael

                --- In maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Perkins

              • rose pennington
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 13, 2005
                  Hello Michael,

                  In regard to your sidenote, yes - I, too, have
                  encountered the use of "American" sounding names by
                  some family members (Presta). My grandfather's given
                  name was Serafino, but I am told he was known in
                  Kenosha as "Sam". His brother Vincenzo was called
                  "Jim" and/or "Zeke" - don't ask me why!

                  There are interesting and varied ways some of these
                  name changes occurred. Sometimes they are not
                  entirely the result of the ethnic bias and
                  discrimination our ancestors experienced but from
                  something else entirely. My dad told of how his
                  father and his father's cousin were questioned upon
                  their arrival in this country. The worker misread the
                  cousin's last name as "Presto" and the poor man was
                  too fearful of being sent back to Italy to correct the
                  worker, so today, somewhere, I may have relatives
                  with a surname of Presto instead of Presta. And yes,
                  the treatment of many laborers was dreadful. The one
                  I recall hearing about was the spring factory in
                  Kenosha that was so unpleasant. So much so that one
                  brother of my grandfather went back to Marano P.
                  because he couldn't stand being treated so badly.
                  Well, things ended happily for him anyway since he
                  found a nice wife and lived nicely over there.

                  Oh, and about those photos - if any of them were taken
                  in Kenosha and have gray cardboard frames around them
                  that say "Presta Portaits" - my Great-Uncle
                  Vincenzo/Jim/Zeke took them. He owned that studio -
                  after his miserable job in the spring factory and a
                  stint in WWI!

                  Rose

                  --- mjmoretti2001 <michaeljmoretti@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > resident of Marano M.
                  > >
                  > > 2. Birth record in 1884: Atti # 67 October 4,
                  > 1884
                  > > Born: Giacinto Moretti
                  > > Father: Carmine, age 30, laborer (estimated birth
                  > year 1854)
                  > > Mother: Luisa Guido, age 29 (estimated birth year
                  > 1855)
                  > > (I also did some digging into birth records
                  > between 1884-1890
                  > > transcribed by our member Louise Juliani and found
                  > records for two
                  > more
                  > > children born to Carmine Moretti and Luisa Guido
                  > (Giuseppe in 1886
                  > and
                  > > Carolina in 1889))
                  > >
                  > > Without further research, we cannot say that the
                  > two married
                  > couples
                  > > mentioned above are one in the same. The
                  === message truncated ===

                  The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                  http://my.yahoo.com
                • Chris Thorsen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 14, 2005
                    Rose, though my family name (Chiappetta) did not experience any spelling change while entering Ellis Island, my husband's mother's family name could have also been changed at Ellis Island upon entering.  We have been searching for his family in Italy (Miniscalo) but were told during our resent visit there that it could be Siniscalo). We are trying to do further research. His family settled in Chicago.

                    Regards,
                    Chris

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://mail.yahoo.com