Roll Call

  • l.a.perkins@home.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 8, 2001
      Dear group,

      I would like to solicit a roll call of our group. Please respond with
      any of the following: a list of your surnames, your interest in
      Marano Marchesato and this email list, the status of your research,
      etc. Feel free to be as detailed or as brief as you like.

      I want to be sure that the members of our email list are on the
      up-and-up, and not members just to have access to our email addresses
      for possible spam. I also look forward to renewing our acquaintence
      with eachother (there are 34 of us.)

      If you do not want to share any info with the group, feel free to
      respond to me privately at l.a.perkins@.... I will be removing
      some members who remain silent.

      Note: While this roll call may initially generate additional emails
      in our inboxes, I hope that the useful information about our fellow
      researchers will be worth its weight in "inbox volume."

      Ciao!
      Lisa
    • Rmtenuta@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 8, 2001
        Hi Everyone!

        I am currently vacationing in MP, while doing some research in MM, Rende and
        Celico.

        Thanks, Lisa, for updating the list.

        Tenuta, Savaglio, Covelli, Ruffulo, Cairo, Abate, Nigro

        Bob Tenuta
      • gene.palmer
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 8, 2001
          Hi Lisa~ I am still interested in being kept part of the group. At this
          point, I am at a stand-still regarding my research on my ancestors from the
          Rende area. I think I need to just go there and investigate in person! The
          names I am researching are: Luigi Volpentesta and Maria Giraldi, my
          great-grandparents, who settled in Chicago. I have found ancestors'
          surnames: Conforti; Morrone; Perri; Mancino; Morella; Rango, all ancestors
          of Luigi. I got those a few years ago from my second cousin's husband, Tony
          Molinaro, a member of our group. (Whom I have never met!) However, I could
          not get any more info on Maria Giraldi. This is a mystery to me. I probably
          need to start research on her in Chicago and work back to Rende! I am
          originally from Kenosha, WI, and I travel there frequently to visit my
          family. I am aware that there is a connection with Kenosha and the Marano
          area, so I would be happy to help anyone regarding Kenosha. Please let me
          know if you would like any more info. Thank you~~~Janice Palmer

        • MJRuffolo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 8, 2001
            Hello Group-

            My primary surnames are RUFFOLO [Achille>Luigi (and Maria PROVENZANO)>Pietro (and Carolina CHIAPETTA)] and PROVENZANO (Maria>Francesco and Rosa TROMBINO).

            My dad, Achille, a/k/a "Kelly," immigrated to the U.S. in 1913 joining his older brothers Francesco, Pietro, and Serafino in Chicago. Some or all four of them eventually migrated on to Kenosha where my dad remained until his death in 1968. Pietro migrated to Indiana Harbor, Indiana and Serafino to Owensboro, Kentucky (!?). Neither Pietro nor Serafino had any children. Francesco returned to Marano Marchesato where he raised a large family and looked after his mother, Maria, until her death in the late 1940's.

            I still have 1st cousins in Marano Marchesato and maintain close ties to my many cousins in Kenosha. I joined this list during a period of time when contact with my Maranese relatives was nonexistent in order to reconnect with my Italian heritage. Because of my interest in genealogy and my pride in being Italian, I finally made contact with my Kenosha cousins (whom I'd seen only once since my dad's death) not quite a year ago. I consider my family and my heritage a true blessing!

            Mary Jane Ruffolo
          • phyllis marasco
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 8, 2001
              >From: l.a.perkins@...
              >To: maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [maranofamilies] Roll Call
              >Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 07:46:04 -0000
              >
              >Dear group,
              >
              >I would like to solicit a roll call of our group. Please respond with
              >any of the following: a list of your surnames, your interest in
              >Marano Marchesato and this email list, the status of your research,
              >etc. Feel free to be as detailed or as brief as you like.
              >
              >I want to be sure that the members of our email list are on the
              >up-and-up, and not members just to have access to our email addresses
              >for possible spam. I also look forward to renewing our acquaintence
              >with eachother (there are 34 of us.)
              >
              >If you do not want to share any info with the group, feel free to
              >respond to me privately at l.a.perkins@.... I will be removing
              >some members who remain silent.
              >
              >Note: While this roll call may initially generate additional emails
              >in our inboxes, I hope that the useful information about our fellow
              >researchers will be worth its weight in "inbox volume."
              >
              >Ciao!
              >Lisa

              Lisa and Group.
              I have not had much of an opportunity to do any research on my husband's
              family from MM as I am still living in Australia. The names I would be
              researching so far are:
              Spizzirri, Serpe, Bartella(Bartelli) Vivacqua, and Covelli(Kenosha).
              I do read all the search info and find it very interesting.

              Ciao, Phyllis Marasco Dalaly

            • Diane Patterson
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 8, 2001
                Hi Lisa, I am still here and still searching for relatives. My
                family names are numerous. Belmonte, Scornavacco, Perfetti, De Bartolo,
                De Rang, Conforti, Chiapetta, Ritacca, Coscarello, Marchese, Smerglio,
                Scola, Cianci, Orrico, Bartello, I think that about does it.

                Lisa, I will be coming back to the midwest in November, I hope we can
                meet up.

                Diane Belmonte Patterson
              • CharlesSundances@gateway.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 9, 2001
                  lisa, Please keep my name on your list. I am still researching the Iantorni
                  (Yantorni) line. I am planning a trip to Italy in Decmenber and will be
                  visiting Marano Marchesato. If I cannot find any family members, maybe I will
                  get help from the Church. Wish me luck, Chuck
                • Peter L. Belmonte
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 9, 2001
                    Greetings!
                    I've been researching my genealogy for about nine years. Since about
                    1993, I've reviewed the microfilmed vital records from Marano Marchesato,
                    Marano Principato, and Cosenza. This has enabled me to extend my lines
                    back to the 1700s in most cases. The main family names I'm researching
                    are: Belmonte, Spizzirri, Conforti, Caira, Chiappetta, Santelli, Sicilia.
                    (A complete list of my ancestral names appears below, quite
                    lengthy--it's amazing to see just how many different people you're
                    descended from in just five generations!)
                    I am also interested in studying the history of Marano immigrants in the
                    United States--I've been documenting them wherever I can find them:
                    Passenger lists, draft registration records, mostly. So far I've
                    discovered two cousins on this e-group: Lisa Perkins (through the
                    Confortis) and Louise Juliani (through the Palermos and Cairas). And of
                    course Diane Patterson and I always knew we are first cousins!
                    Happy researching,
                    Pete Belmonte
                    Names from Marano Marchesato:
                    Baratta, Bartella, Belmonte (x3), Caira (x2), Chiappetta (x7!!), Cianci,
                    Conforti (x3), Coscarello, Cosentino, DeFrancesco, DeFranco, DeBartolo
                    (x3), DeRango, Gagliardi (Guagliardi), Iantria, Infusino, Leone, Marchese
                    (x3), Molinaro, Moretti, Morrone (x3), Orrico, Palermo, Pellegrino,
                    Porro, Ruffolo (x2), Santanna, Santelli, Savaglio, Scaglione, Scola,
                    Serpe, Smeriglio (Sberiglio) (x2), Spizzirri (x3)
                    Names from Marano Principato:
                    Esposito, Morelli
                    Names from Cosenza:
                    Dodaro, Giordano
                    Names from Castelfranco/Castrolibero:
                    Aiello, DeLuca
                    Names from San Fili:
                    Noto, Sicilia
                    Names from Rende:
                    Aiello, Bartucci, DeSimone

                    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                  • Jeff Caracci
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 10, 2001
                      Hi everyone,

                      Keep me on the list please. I am researching the following surnames:
                      Cairo, Muto, Sessa, Pellicore, Pellicori, Blasi. All are either from
                      MM, MP, or Rende.

                      I still maintain my family's website which is at:

                      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jcaracci/

                      Next year will be a special one for our family because we will be
                      celebrating the 100th wedding anniversary of my great-grandparents
                      Joseph Pellicore (Rende) and Rose Cairo (Marano Principato) who were
                      married in Chicago on April 6 1902. We are having a special Mass said
                      at the church where they were married (Assumption on Illinois Street).
                      I am also putting together a memento book for the family to remember the
                      occasion.

                      I have found many new family members in the past couple of years, which
                      has been the real reward of my efforts. A few of them (including third
                      cousin Bob Tenuta - also a member of this newsgroup) are also very
                      interested in the family history.

                      As always, Lisa, please let me know how I can help in the research!

                      Jeff Caracci
                    • Spizzirri, Frank
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 10, 2001
                        Frank Spizzirri of Toronto Canada checking in!

                        I have not had a chance to participate in discussions as I have been overly
                        busy with work and a new wife (not from Marano M.) although I read all your
                        emails. The family surnames include Cosentino, Morrone, and De Luca.

                        I just spent the last week of August in Marano. Of note, they are building
                        a new amphitheatre (across the street from L'Edicola [newspaper/magazine
                        shop] for those that know Marano) in the town. It should be completed
                        before the end of the year.

                        FYI The Marano M Club of Toronto will be holding its fall dinner dance on
                        October 20, 2001. If anyone would like to see if they have any relatives in
                        Toronto please send a short family summary and I'll try to put together a
                        bulletin board for the guests to read.

                        Lisa, keep up the good work!

                        Frank

                        This message, including any attachments, is privileged and may contain
                        confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above. Any
                        other distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you are
                        not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please
                        notify us immediately by reply email and permanently delete the original
                        transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a copy.
                        Thank you.
                      • Caesar, Karen M.
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 10, 2001
                          Hi everyone! Please keep me on your list Lisa. I really enjoy reading all
                          the letters. My grandmother Fortuna Baratta was born in Marano in 1895.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 10, 2001
                            Dear Lisa

                            I would like to remain a part of your group although other than reading the
                            emails I have not been a contributor. My grandfather, Santo Scornavacco, was
                            born in Marano Marchesato and I had planned a trip to MM this past spring.
                            My mother became ill and I have rescheduled our trip for March and April of
                            2002. Diane Belmonte Patterson and others have been extremely helpful. My
                            grandmother is from Rende and her name was Angelina Stello Scornavacco.

                            I truly understand you have a large group and some very serious researchers
                            so I will understand if you wish to reduce the list.

                            John Scornavacco
                            Lake Forest, Illinois

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 10, 2001
                              My Dear Lisa,

                              Thank you so much for the nice thought. I am doing fine at the moment, but
                              tomorrow I will recieve a bone marrow transplant. I have no idea what to
                              expect, but with all the family and friends, I haven't a worry!

                              Again, thank you all.

                              Bill Volpentest(a) (a Rende type)

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 10, 2001
                                Dear All,

                                Thank you for your overwhelming responses! I feel as if I am getting
                                reacquainted with all of you.

                                astray ....

                                I do NOT want to reduce the list. I want each and every one of you who
                                is truly interested in the cultural/genealogy aspect of the Northwest
                                Cosenza area to stay in touch through this list. My roll call request
                                was prompted by an enormous amount of spam that I have been receiving
                                from Italian email addresses. You see, I have approved some members
                                without checking up on their intentions, and I fear that there may have
                                been someone with "spam intentions".

                                I will match all your responses with the member list, if anyone else
                                remains incognito to me, I will likely contact them before removing them
                                from the list.

                                So keep it coming!

                                On a somber note, one member we have not heard a roll call from is Bill
                                Volpentest. I request for you to keep him in your thoughts and/or
                                prayers, as he is ill and we hope he gets better. If you read this
                                Bill, WE MISS YOU!

                                Lisa Perkins
                              • Francesca Nudo
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 11, 2001
                                  I'm still interested in the group, so don't get rid of me! The last
                                  names I am interested in are: Chiappetta, Serpe, Principe, Conforti,
                                  Allevato, Gabriele, Basile, Costadelli?, and Nudo.
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 11, 2001
                                    Dear Bob Tenuta,
                                    While you are in the Marano's, is there any way you can check on the
                                    status and availability of church records from the Santa Maria Del
                                    Carmine church in Marano Marchesato, or any other church in the area. I
                                    am sure that this is something that all of us would like to know.
                                    Questions such as, what records may be available, spanning which years,
                                    how we can get look ups from them, etc....

                                    Also, there are a couple of books that are available there about Marano
                                    Marchesato that you may wish to pick up for yourself. They are written
                                    by Mario DeFilippis and others.

                                    "Storia, societa, istituzioni, fede e pieta popolare a Marano Marchesato
                                    - La Chiesa parrocchiale di Santa Maria del Carmelo"
                                    and
                                    "Una Provincia Fuori Legge?"

                                    I really would appreciate someone who can read Italian who could share
                                    with us the informational content of these books. I have them at home,
                                    but have been struggling with the translation for some time now.

                                    The author, Mario DeFilippis, cannot speak english and I would really
                                    like for someone to talk to him about his project of sharing and
                                    preserving the cultural nuances of this area. Obviously, he has the
                                    same goals as this group, but the language barrier has been a real
                                    issue. I believe he lives in one of the Maranos.

                                    Please keep us posted! Enjoy yourself, I long for the figs which are in
                                    season now. Oh, and the fungi from La Sila!!!! Yum Yum.

                                    Lisa Perkins

                                    Rmtenuta@... wrote:

                                    > Hi Everyone!
                                    >
                                    > I am currently vacationing in MP, while doing some research in MM,
                                    > Rende and
                                    > Celico.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks, Lisa, for updating the list.
                                    >
                                    > Tenuta, Savaglio, Covelli, Ruffulo, Cairo, Abate, Nigro
                                    >
                                    > Bob Tenuta
                                  • Anthony Molinaro
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 11, 2001
                                      Hi.
                                      From the Marano Marchesato area, I am researching the following names:

                                      Molinaro, Magnocavallo, Conforti, Caira, Provenzano, Pulice,
                                      Tenuta, Baratta, Cosentino, Bartucci.

                                      I've been working on my own family history from the past 5-6 years and
                                      looking into my wife's family from Rende for the past 3-4 years.

                                      I've been hitting a roadblock on two family names: Conforti and Provenzano,
                                      and research has been slow going here.

                                      The Marano research web site has been an excellent source of information. I
                                      hope we can get more researchers to join in.

                                      Tony Molinaro

                                      > I would like to solicit a roll call of our group. Please respond with
                                      > any of the following: a list of your surnames, your interest in
                                      > Marano Marchesato and this email list, the status of your research,
                                      > etc. Feel free to be as detailed or as brief as you like.
                                      >
                                      > I want to be sure that the members of our email list are on the
                                      > up-and-up, and not members just to have access to our email addresses
                                      > for possible spam. I also look forward to renewing our acquaintence
                                      > with eachother (there are 34 of us.)
                                      >
                                      > If you do not want to share any info with the group, feel free to
                                      > respond to me privately at l.a.perkins@.... I will be removing
                                      > some members who remain silent.
                                      >
                                      > Note: While this roll call may initially generate additional emails
                                      > in our inboxes, I hope that the useful information about our fellow
                                      > researchers will be worth its weight in "inbox volume."
                                      >
                                      > Ciao!
                                      > Lisa

                                    • William Klinger, Jr.
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 16, 2001

                                        Hello Lisa and Group:

                                        My family ties to MM are through my mother, Marie Porro.  Her father was born in Marano Marchesata and came to the USA in 1899.  Other family relations are Cosentino, DeBartola and Siciliano.

                                        I have had the oportunity to get to MM three times so far.  I hope to go again next summer.

                                        Bill Klinger