Re: [maranofamilies] new group member

  • Peter L. Belmonte
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2000
      Welcome Bill,
      You'll find a bunch of people on this site who are probably related, in
      one way or another, to each other. I'm descended from Porro, DeBartolo,
      and Cosentino, so when you get more info, maybe we can compare notes.
      When you've got more time, I'd like to hear about your Marano family's
      immigration story--where, when, who, etc.
      take care,
      Pete Belmonte
      Swansea, ILL

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • William Klinger, Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2000
        Hello Peter,

        Thanks for your note.

        Things are always a little crazy here around the Fourth of July. I work in
        the TV and Movie industry as a special effects pyrotechnician and also work
        for a fireworks company on the Fourth.

        as to:
        >immigration story--where, when, who, etc.

        My grandfather Antonio Porro came to the US in the late 1800's, left his
        wife and family in Marano and became a citizen. Then he went back to Marano
        and had two or three more children. The oldest son, Dominic, My grandfather
        Peter, the youngest son Andrew and a daughter Caroline all came here at
        various times and settled in the Chicago area. Dominic married Nina
        Cosadente and had many children. One is still living in Chicago, Auggie
        Porro. My grandfather had three daughters with his first wife. My mother
        Marie, her sisters, Ann and Eleanor. He moved to Mason City, Iowa in the
        '20s and re married. There were no natural childred from that marriage.
        They adopted a son who took the Porr name. My mother is the only one still
        living. She was born in Chicago in April of 1910. Caroline married Frank
        Mastroianni and had two daughters. The daughters, Tresa and Rita are both
        still living. I see Tresa once in a while in San Francisco, Rita lives in
        New Jersey. Andrew married Rose DiBuno(sp), worked for Revere Copper in
        Chicago and had two children. His daughter Grace still lives in the family
        home on Montclaire St. in Chicago. The son Tony (Anthony) lives in Phoenix.
        He is in very poor health and is not expected to live out the summer
        months.

        I was in Chicago a few weeks ago and we had a little get together at Graces
        house.

        A couple of the Cosentino sons, Santo and Emilio settled in the Chicago
        area. Santo passed away early this year. They are sons of my grandfathers
        oldest sister, Gelsomina Porro. Her crypt is still maintained in the
        cemetery in Marano Marchesato.

        The youngest Porro daughter, Orsola, has three children still alive and
        living in Marano Marchesato. She married a DeBartolo, her children, Antonio
        (in picture on web,) Salvaore and Vincenzina live in Marano Marchesato.
        Orsolas crypt is also in the cemetery in Marano M.
        Vincenzina married a Ruffolo and though I believe he has passed away she
        lives with her son and his family on the west side of Marano M.

        I want to try and clean up what information I have and get it to Diane
        Perkins. It is in Family Tree Maker format.

        I try and get back to Milwaukee to see my folks twice a year. If everything
        goes as usual, I will be back there in December.

        Your articles on the Marano Families pages are very interesting.

        Regards,

        Bill K
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2000
          Sorry group,

          Meant that last note for Peter

          Bill K

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2000
            Dear Bill,
            I enjoyed your note to Peter and am glad to have read it!

            "William Klinger, Jr." wrote:

            > Sorry group,
            >
            > Meant that last note for Peter
            >
            > Bill K

          • Diane Patterson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2000
              I loved reading all the info as I am sure everyone else did too.

              Diane
            • Peter L. Belmonte
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2000
                Bill,
                Thanks for your note. Sounds like you have an interesting job! I am
                collecting info on Maranesi in the US and I'll file away your family's
                info for future cross-checking, etc. Thanks also for you kind words on
                my articles in the website. I am working on info on the Maranesi in
                Chicago now--a lot settled there, as you know.
                My great-grandfather, Giacomo Spizzirri, came to Chicago in the 1890s and
                became a citizen; then he, too, made numerous round trips, each time
                returning to have another child, etc. Must have been an interesting time
                in Marano and the US communities.
                Anyway, thanks again and keep in touch.
                Pete