Trip to Calabria

  • mjmoretti2001
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 2013
      I will be in Italy for business in two weeks and am planning a vacation tour of Italy around the business trip. I will be in the country from July 25th to August 2nd, starting in Milan and working my way down through Florence, Rome, and Naples. I plan to be in Casenza on or about August 30 and 31 and am planning to visit Marano Marchesato and Marano Principato. I have heard that English is difficult in Marano M and P, but does anyone know how I will do with English in Casenza?

      Also, any other advice or recommendations would be really appreciated.

      Michael Moretti
    • mjmoretti2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13, 2013
        Correction, I will be Marano M and P July 30 and 31 not August.

        --- In maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com, "mjmoretti2001" <michaeljmoretti@...> wrote:

        > I will be in Italy for business in two weeks and am planning a vacation tour of Italy around the business trip. I will be in the country from July 25th to August 2nd, starting in Milan and working my way down through Florence, Rome, and Naples. I plan to be in Casenza on or about August 30 and 31 and am planning to visit Marano Marchesato and Marano Principato. I have heard that English is difficult in Marano M and P, but does anyone know how I will do with English in Casenza?
        >
        > Also, any other advice or recommendations would be really appreciated.
        >
        > Michael Moretti

      • Jaandrzzi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
        Hi Michael,

        My experience in 3 trips to Italy -- the last one in 2012 -- is that more Italians, especially the younger generation (I am 69) speak English. This is most true in areas that tourists visit. But Cosenza , and certialy Marano M. and P. aren't big tourist attractions. I assume most hotels in Cosenza will have English-speaking staff, but I don't know that. Usually there is someone in each town who speaks a little English, and if you go into Marano M. or P., you could go to the local bar (coffee shop) or town hall and say you're the grandson of Giacinto Moretti or _?_ Cosentino, and that will give you more legitimacy and a relative would be more quick to locate a paesan' who speaks some English. Or do you have relatives there that your family has been in touch with? If so, you could write/e-mail them in basic  Italian and explain what you need. I found that most Italians are cordial when they see that you are trying to speak their language, no matter how poorly you are doing so. I usually pay someone to have a few 1-on-1 tutoring sessions just before I go to Italy.
        I have relatives in Marano P. and nearby Rende, and I woman speaks English. But I would have to contact her to see if she would be willing to help you. What exactly are you looking for? --someone to translate for you as you do research on your family, or to find and talk with relatives, or something else? You can phone me at 823-8365.

        By the way, I am now in Lackawanna and will be coordinating a two day program at the Lake Erie Italian club this coming week end. See the attached,

        Ciao,

        John

        Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
          We were there last October to visit San sistp and San Vincenzo which are just next to marano m and pp all really part of the same area we stayed in the city of cosenza
          At the former holiday inn which is now the
          Italian hotel the front desk personnel spoke
          English. We stopped in the village but didn't find anyone that spoke English.
          Beautiful area though.

          Chris scarlato Urfer

          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

        • Michael J. Moretti
          Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013

            Chris,

            Thank you for the reply. Chris, I’m curious. There was a Scarlato family associated with my Great Grandfather Ferdinando Cosentino. On one of his last trips through Ellis Island he referenced a brother-in-law and the address 543 Second Street in Lackawanna, New York. That address belonged to a Joseph Scarlato family. On an earlier trip to Chicago, there is a young Scarlato boy, 12 yrs, on the manifest right next to Ferdinando’s name. My hypothesis is that he may have been escorting the boy to Chicago, but I have no evidence of this. The boy’s first name is not intelligible. I was able to find a Salvatore Scarlato family in Chicago, but no other connection.

            Does any of this mean anything to you (or anyone else receiving this). It would be nice to be able to piece all of this together for my research.

            Michael Moretti

            Message 6 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
              Very exciting that you are able to make this trip. If you take any pictures, would you consider sharing some of them with the group?

              As far as your language question, I think you should get a phrasebook and practice a few key phrases in Italian (and also practice understanding the usual responses). You probably won't find a lot of people who speak fluent English. I was there about six years ago (almost to the day), but I speak fluent Italian. My parents and sister, who were with me, do not. They were able to communicate basic needs in most places that provided public services (restaurants, hotels), but nothing beyond that, and since I did most of the talking, it's hard to say how it would be if no one in the group spoke Italian.

              Just as a guess, I would say it would be tough to have in-depth conversations without knowing Italian, but many people will know at least a few words of English. If you can remember a few words of Italian, the two put together should allow you to find your way around, ask for the bathroom, order food, etc. Hotel desk staff will speak at least basic English; just don't expect that everyone everywhere will, or that every restaurant will have English menus. When they do, they will probably be the product of Google translate (at best, laughable; at worst, unusable). If you have to ask someone a question, try asking the kids (college age and below). Many of them will speak English better than the adults will, as English instruction in schools has gotten continually better over the years.

              As a side note, we met an American-born priest at one of the churches in Rende. You did not mention any plans to visit this town, but it's just up the road from MM, and it's the largest town in the hills west of Cosenza (~35k people, compared to about 3k each in MM and MP). I don't remember with 100% certainty which church it was (we ran into him completely by chance), but I believe it was the "Chiesa Madre di Santa Maria Maggiore". I'm not finding it on Google Maps, which is strange since it's the most important church in the town (" Chiesa Madre"  means "Mother Church"). It's clearly visible on Google Maps Street View, but it's not labeled and doesn't show up in the search results. If you put the following address into Google Maps, you will find the approximate location: Corso Giuseppe Mazzini, 45, Rende, CS, Italy.

              The priest we met was born in the Chicago area and finished high school there, but his parents were from Calabria, and he decided to go to seminary in Italy after he finished high school. If he's still there, you might be able to connect with him; I bet he could be a very useful resource. I would be willing to try to track him down, and I can do some more digging if that's something you're interested in. The problem is, it might take some time, and your trip is not far away.

              I hope his helps. Let me know if you'd like me to try to get in touch with this priest or if I can provide any more information.

              Buon viaggio!

              - Michael Rolland
              (262) 412-0194
            • Michael Rolland
              Message 7 of 7 , Jul 14, 2013
                Sorry, I only partially answered your question, as I didn't address the issue of English in Cosenza proper. We didn't spend a lot of time in Cosenza itself, but you might fare a bit better there than you would in the small towns. All of the above applies; try to pick out younger people if you need to ask for directions, etc.

                Good luck!

                - Michael Rolland
                (262) 412-0194