Re: [maranofamilies] Re: Trip to Cosenza

  • Dan Plastina
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 23 8:24 PM
      Hi Lisa,

      Via Curcio is a small stretch of road on the west side of Marano (between Via Giuseppe Garibaldi and Via Municipio). It is known as Via Guanni as you travel out of the village to the northwest and as you travel southward the road is known as Via Papa Giovanni XXIII (You can see this road on the map sent to you by Bill). It  is my hunch that this part of the road was once Via Curcio and was renamed in recent times to honour Pope John after his death.

      I have a small favor to ask of you when you visit Castrolibro (some older folks still refer to it by its former name - Castrofranco). My paternal grandmother (Giuseppina Aiello)  was born there in the mid 1870s and I have been unsuccessful in tracking down any records of her family and those relatives known as Pincente. Are there any contacts or resources available in Castrolibero that may assist me (and others) in searching out relatives that were born there in the late 1800s (1870 - 1910). Much appreciated if you can find this out.

      Enjoy your visit and please let us know of your experiences. It is my intention to visit the area in 2012 for an extended period as I still have a few close relatives there (San Fili, Rende) and I certainly will be taking many pictures and sharing my experiences with others.

      Safe travels to you,

      Dan

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 23 9:45 PM
        Dan, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

        Maybe I can be of assistance you. I have a Giuseppina Aiello from Castelfranco or Castrolibero in my research her time frame is off. I also have Pincente or Pingente in my records. If you have a specific name, I will check my records from Castelfranco for you.

        Helen

        I just now checked out your link below to the panoramic view of Marano Marchesato. I had NO IDEA that it is an interactive movable map of the streets of Marano Marchesato. This is absolutely amazing. I was able to follow the streets and look at everything panoramically as if I was actually there.

        I am trying to find the house where my grandma was born. All the records say she was born on Via Curcio. I am thinking that the name was changed. Does anyone know what current street was via curcio?

        Lisa

        --- In maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com, William Spizzirri <wspizzi@...> wrote:

        > We trained from Rome to Cosenza, going through Naples and Paola.
        >
        > Everyone is different but I must recommend, based on my recent experience, drive
        > as little as possible in Italy. Only when you must. And be VERY careful driving
        > in Naples. Give it serious thought. I consider myself a good, experienced driver
        > but it's not for the faint hearted. After driving one day I gave up and let my
        > family in Calabria drive me around that area, which is what they suggested in
        > the first place. They were right. Based on what I saw, stop signs and traffic
        > lights are considered quaint decorations. They don't even waste money on lane
        > markers. One way streets are only a suggestion and the sidewalks are for
        > pedestrians and cars. Honest. Even crossing the street on foot is an adventure.
        > Don't make eye contact with the drivers because then they know you see them and
        > so they can assume you know you should get out of the way. If you don't make eye
        > contact, they feel you are an uninformed tourist and so they give you a break by
        > not killing you. Do you feel lucky today? There are always taxis and you can
        > hire private, scheduled cars although that is more expensive. We had good
        > experience with private cars from Rome Cabs in Rome.
        >

        > There is also the problem of finding where you are going when you drive
        > yourself. In the small mountain towns and big cities, we found many streets with
        > no signs, maps that didn't have all the street names and forget GPS. We had one
        > and it had the streets but it didn't show any street names, very limited value.
        >

        > If you drive yourself -  go with God.
        >
        > My family took me to the cemetery and I have no hope of knowing where I was. It
        > was a very big cemetery in Marano Marchesato. I don't know this for sure but I
        > would be surprised if there was more then one of that size in such a small town.
        > I would think the city hall could certainly tell you how to get there. Sorry I
        > can't tell you how to find that either. There is a nifty web site that allows
        > you to take a driving tour of Marano Marchesato. Perhaps that could help you.
        >

        >  http://www.streetviewandmaps.com/en/map/it/345801-Marano-Marchesato/
        >

        > ________________________________

      • rose pennington
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 23 10:09 PM
          Bill, just wanted to finally thank you for the link also.  I've used it and used it, and have enjoyed seeing the streets my family must have walked in the "old country" so much.

          Now for a question to the group.  I am researching the history of two residential addresses in MP; one belonging to my grandmother's family and the other of my grandfather's family.  I read that even way, way back in the day one couldn't just build a home; that one needed "approval" to build.  Does anyone know if that's correct, and/or where that approval would be recorded?  Something akin to our building permits of today maybe?  I don't have the year the residences were built or even the century but would sure like to know the name of the persons who first built them.  Any help on this would be much appreciated.

          Rose

          I just now checked out your link below to the panoramic view of Marano
          Marchesato. I had NO IDEA that it is an interactive movable map of the streets
          of Marano Marchesato. This is absolutely amazing. I was able to follow the
          streets and look at everything panoramically as if I was actually there.

          Thank you so much for opening my eyes to this.

        • Dan Plastina
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 23 10:40 PM
            Hi Helen,

            I have had several short trips to Calabria over the years but that was before I retired and developed an interest in genealogy. I will return next year for a major research project about Rende (where I was born) and San Fili (where many of my ancestors also resided).

            There were a number of Giuseppina Aiello that show up in records in the archives of Cosenza but my grandmother was born  around 1875 in Castrolibero. Her siblings were Bruno, Francesca, Vincenzina (or Vincenza), Emilia and perhaps a Gelsomina (a Gelsamina).  Timeframe for their births would be between 1870 - 1890. She married Michele Plastina in Rende in 1897 or 1898.

            You're right about the spelling of Pincente (or Pingente) and there are records of Pungente as well. My great aunt Vincenzina Aiello married Eugenio Pincente in Castrolibero. I have records of Eugenio's decendants as most are still alive but I cannot find records of Eugenio's parents or the records of my grandmother's parents (I think it may be Giuseppe Aiello and Angela Morcavallo but I can't be certain until I find birthrecords and establish the names of their children).

            I much appreciate your response.  It will be great if you can offer some assistance.

            Dan

            From: LisaAnn <LPRoots@...>To: maranofamilies@yahoogroups.coms Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:02:39 PMSubject: [maranofamilies] Re: Trip to Cosenza

            Bill, I just now checked out your link below to the panoramic view of Marano Marchesato. I had NO IDEA that it is an interactive movable map of the streets of Marano Marchesato. This is absolutely amazing. I was able to follow the streets and look at everything panoramically as if I was actually there. I am trying to find the house where my grandma was born. All the records say she was born on Via Curcio. I am thinking that the name was changed. Does anyone know what current street was via curcio? Lisa --- In maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com, William Spizzirri <wspizzi@...> wrote: > > We trained from Rome to Cosenza, going through Naples and Paola.  > > Everyone is different but I must recommend, based on my recent experience, drive > as little as possible in Italy. Only when you must. And be VERY careful driving > in Naples. Give it serious thought. I consider myself a good, experienced driver > but it's not for the faint hearted. After driving one day I gave up and let my > family in Calabria drive me around that area, which is what they suggested in > the first place. They were right. Based on what I saw, stop signs and traffic > lights are considered quaint decorations. They don't even waste money on lane > markers. One way streets are only a suggestion and the sidewalks are for > pedestrians and cars. Honest. Even crossing the street on foot is an adventure. > Don't make eye contact with the drivers because then they know you see them and > so they can assume you know you should get out of the way. If you don't make eye > contact, they feel you are an uninformed tourist and so they give you a break by > not killing you. Do you feel lucky today? There are always taxis and you can > hire private, scheduled cars although that is more expensive. We had good > experience with private cars from Rome Cabs in Rome. > > > There is also the problem of finding where you are going when you drive > yourself. In the small mountain towns and big cities, we found many streets with > no signs, maps that didn't have all the street names and forget GPS. We had one > and it had the streets but it didn't show any street names, very limited value. > > > If you drive yourself -  go with God. > > My family took me to the cemetery and I have no hope of knowing where I was. It > was a very big cemetery in Marano Marchesato. I don't know this for sure but I > would be surprised if there was more then one of that size in such a small town. > I would think the city hall could certainly tell you how to get there. Sorry I > can't tell you how to find that either. There is a nifty web site that allows > you to take a driving tour of Marano Marchesato. Perhaps that could help you. > > >  http://www.streetviewandmaps.com/en/map/it/345801-Marano-Marchesato/ > > > > > > ________________________________ > From: "urfch@..." <urfch@...> > To: maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Wed, June 8, 2011 4:08:59 PM > Subject: Re: [maranofamilies] Trip to Cosenza > >   > Thanks Bill our village is San Vincenzo la Costa and San Sisto close to Marano.  > I have some Spizzirri's in my  tree from this area too.  They immagrated into > Toronto Ca. where  my Great grandfather Scarlato went in1890.  My Grandfather > was born in Toronto then left for Ohio in 1917 where I am. > How did you get to cosenza?  We were thinking of a trip to Amalfi first flying > into naples then driving to cosenza but I was a little leary of the driving. > How did you locate the Cemeteries? > Thanks for your reply > Chris Scarlato Urfer > > > > > > > ________________________________ > From: William Spizzirri <wspizzi@...> > To: maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com > Cc: Bill Spizzirri <wspizzi@...> > Sent: Wed, June 8, 2011 2:17:51 PM > Subject: Re: [maranofamilies] Trip to Cosenza > >   > We just got back from Cosenza and Marano Machesato. We had a wonderful time. We > spent a lot of time with my family there. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in > Cosenza which was very nice. We rented a car from National rent- a-car at the > Cosenza train station. You must make a reservation ahead of time. We obtained > good information about the family tree from the cemetery in Marano Marchesato, > the church where my father was baptized and by going to the City Hall there.   > > > > > ________________________________ > From: "Oldiani@..." <Oldiani@...> > To: maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Wed, June 8, 2011 11:58:57 AM > Subject: Re: [maranofamilies] Trip to Cosenza > >   > We went a number of years ago and had a wonderful time. There is > something magical to be walking in the village of our ancestors. Now we > did have the advantage of having my parents along who speak dialect > Italian. When we left the major cities there were not a lot of English > speakers. Everyone though was very friendly. The little villages are a > nightmare to drive in but we made it. We also had the advantage of > cousins still living in Marano Marchesato who took us around. When not > with relatives we booked room ahead on the Internet and it was fine. > The food of course is wonderful!! > Have a wonderful trip! Hope you get to meet some relatives. A friend of > mine went with her cousins for a visit and hired a driver in the larger > city who not only found the little village but served as translator. > That could be an option for you. > > Louise Julani > > -----Original Message----- > : urfch <urfch@yahof yearsoo.com> > To: maranofamilies <maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Wed, Jun 8, 2011 9:01 am > Subject: [maranofamilies] Trip to Cosenza > > I was possibly planning a trip to Cosenza to visit the village of san > Sisto and San vincenzo La costa the birth place of my Great grandfather, > > Has anyone taken a trip there if so what are your experiences good or > bad/ > > chris scarlato Urfer >
          • LisaAnn
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 24 11:19 AM
              Hi Dan,
              I will try to get a name of someone in their comune office. But just wondering if you have tried searching the civil records for Castrolibero at a local family history center. I just looked up the availability of Castrolibero records, and it looks like the microfilms certainly cover the late 1800's. You will find that researching this microfilms is way more rewarding than writing for info. I have copied the list of Castrolibero microfilms avaialable through the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints below:

              Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1809-1819 FHL INTL Film 1448041 Items 3-5

              Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1819-1838 FHL INTL Film 1448042

              Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1838-1855 FHL INTL Film 1448043

              Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1856-1865 FHL INTL Film 1303929 Items 1 - 4

              Nati 1866-1900 FHL INTL Film 1607610 Item 3

              Pubblicazioni 1866-1900 -- Matrimoni 1866-1900 -- Morti 1866-1878 FHL INTL Film 1640786 Items 4 - 5

              Morti 1879-1900 FHL INTL Film 1640787 Item 1

              Nati, matrimoni, morti 1871 FHL INTL Film 1641505 Item 4

              Nati, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1900-1910 FHL INTL Film 1641508 Item 1

              More information on these microfilms as well as locating a family history center near to your home can be found at: www.familysearch.org.

              Lisa
              --- In maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com, Dan Plastina <dan.plastina@...> wrote:

              > Hi Lisa,
              >
              > Via Curcio is a small stretch of road on the west side of Marano (between Via Giuseppe Garibaldi and Via Municipio). It is known as Via Guanni as you travel out of the village to the northwest and as you travel southward the road is known as Via Papa Giovanni XXIII (You can see this road on the map sent to you by Bill). It  is my hunch that this part of the road was once Via Curcio and was renamed in recent times to honour Pope John after his death.
              >
              > I have a small favor to ask of you when you visit Castrolibro (some older folks still refer to it by its former name - Castrofranco). My paternal grandmother (Giuseppina Aiello)  was born there in the mid 1870s and I have been unsuccessful in tracking down any records of her family and those relatives known as Pincente. Are there any contacts or resources available in Castrolibero that may assist me (and others) in searching out relatives that were born there in the late 1800s (1870 - 1910). Much appreciated if you can find this out.
              >
              > Enjoy your visit and please let us know of your experiences. It is my intention to visit the area in 2012 for an extended period as I still have a few close relatives there (San Fili, Rende) and I certainly will be taking many pictures and sharing my experiences with others.
              >
              > Safe travels to you,
              >
              > Dan

            • Dan Plastina
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 24 11:42 AM
                Thanks Lisa,

                We actually have a resource center in the neighboring city of Brampton, Ontario - not more than a half-hour drive!  I'll give it a try and I appreciate the list of microfilms. I'm sure it will make it much easier to locate the specific records that I'm seeking.  Again, bon voyage!

              • Erminia Angilletta
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 24 3:37 PM
                  Dan are you talking about the LDS temple in Brampton where the conference was held last year 20 August?

                  http://lds.org/church/temples/toronto-ontario?lang=eng

                  I had done the research for Councillor John Sprovieri.  Will anyone be at this years conference?

                  Lisa I envy you going. I haven't been to the comuni in Coseza (Malito, San Fili, Rendi, Marano or Grimaldi) since 1972 - although I have been to Reggio and Catanzaro a few times since.
                  Nuccia
                  http://www.gentedimaregenealogy.com
                  http://www.calabriaexchange.com
                  Researching: Napolitano, Macchione, Volpentesta, Scarlato, Spina, Cardamone

                • Dan Plastina
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 24 4:21 PM
                    Hi Nuccia,

                    Not sure which conference you are referring to but the temple/resource center is indeed the one I'm referring to. I live in the Town of Caledon which borders Brampton. John Sprovieri is a Regional Councillor in Brampton serving Wards 9 and 10. Brampton has a population of about 500,000 whereas Caledon covers a much larger area but has a population of about 60,000. Italians constitute the largest ethnic group in the Greater Toronto area.

                    Are you Canadian or from the USA?

                    Dan

                    I will try to get a name of someone in their comune office. But just wondering if you have tried searching the civil records for Castrolibero at a local family history center. I just looked up the availability of Castrolibero records, and it looks like the microfilms certainly cover the late 1800's. You will find that researching this microfilms is way more rewarding than writing for info. I have copied the list of Castrolibero microfilms avaialable through the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints below:

                    Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1809-1819 FHL INTL Film 1448041 Items 3-5

                    Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1819-1838 FHL INTL Film 1448042

                    Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1838-1855 FHL INTL Film 1448043

                    Nati, processetti, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1856-1865 FHL INTL Film 1303929 Items 1 - 4

                    Nati 1866-1900 FHL INTL Film 1607610 Item 3

                    Pubblicazioni 1866-1900 -- Matrimoni 1866-1900 -- Morti 1866-1878 FHL INTL Film 1640786 Items 4 - 5

                    Morti 1879-1900 FHL INTL Film 1640787 Item 1

                    Nati, matrimoni, morti 1871 FHL INTL Film 1641505 Item 4

                    Nati, notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1900-1910 FHL INTL Film 1641508 Item 1

                    More information on these microfilms as well as locating a family history center near to your home can be found at: www.familysearch.org.

                    Lisa
                    --- In maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com, Dan Plastina <dan.plastina@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Lisa,
                    >
                    > Via Curcio is a small stretch of road on the west side of Marano (between Via Giuseppe Garibaldi and Via Municipio). It is known as Via Guanni as you travel out of the village to the northwest and as you travel southward the road is known as Via Papa Giovanni XXIII (You can see this road on the map sent to you by Bill). It  is my hunch that this part of the road was once Via Curcio and was renamed in recent times to honour Pope John after his death.
                    >
                    > I have a small favor to ask of you when you visit Castrolibro (some older folks still refer to it by its former name - Castrofranco). My paternal grandmother (Giuseppina Aiello)  was born there in the mid 1870s and I have been unsuccessful in tracking down any records of her family and those relatives known as Pincente. Are there any contacts or resources available in Castrolibero that may assist me (and others) in searching out relatives that were born there in the late 1800s (1870 - 1910). Much appreciated if you can find this out.
                    >
                    > Enjoy your visit and please let us know of your experiences. It is my intention to visit the area in 2012 for an extended period as I still have a few close relatives there (San Fili, Rende) and I certainly will be taking many pictures and sharing my experiences with others.
                    >
                    > Safe travels to you,
                    >
                    > Dan

                  • Erminia Angilletta
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 24 4:51 PM
                      Hi Dan,

                      I'm in Toronto not too far from ST Clair Ave West - and yes, it was once heavily populated with Italians.  While there is still a large community of them here now, most have moved out to Woodbridge, etc.

                      Last year the FHC began holding a Family History Conference  known as

                      One World - One Family Conference  There were over 300 people in attendance including John where we presented him with some information about his family.  He has deep roots in Rovito and Luzzi.  This years workshop is being held at the FHC I usually go on Sept 17 at 24 Ferrand Drive.  The information about it is here -

                      http://www.oneworldonefamily-theevent.com/

                      Not sure if I will  be attending again this year but I am thinking about it since it was a lot of fun last year.  Also a great place to meet people without breaking the bank [attendance is only $20 and they provide a box lunch].
                      Nuccia
                      http://www.gentedimaregenealogy.com
                      http://www.calabriaexchange.com
                      "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one"

                    • charlene misurelli
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 24 9:51 PM
                        Hello Everyone!
                        Nice to see action on the website again!!

                        Dan:
                        Was HAPPY to see that you are going to Rende next year. I am planning a trip too, but could not find a tour group that goes there, so I was just thrilled to see your message.

                        I live in Calgary Alberta and my grandfather came from Rende and I always wanted to go there. He was on his way to Kenosha to live with family there but got stuck here.

                        Anyway, when do you plan to go? I can go anytime, just not July or August as anything above 25c is killer heat for us. (Are you flying out of Toronto?)
                        Would really appreciate details on the best way to get there and where to stay, would like to spend a month checking the "tree".  NO, I won't be driving on account of other members, like Bill Spizzeri who said driving is a "nightmare" and I don't think God is even in the car with you over there. (My cuz claims he gets out and walks).

                        Anybody else planning to go? We can make this a group trip??

                        PS sounds like the East is having a very bad week. Jack Layton, tornado, earthquake and now a hurricane on the way...

                        Charlene Misurelli

> [...]

                        > I have a small favor to ask of you when you visit Castrolibro (some older folks still refer to it by its former name - Castrofranco). My paternal grandmother (Giuseppina Aiello)  was born there in the mid 1870s and I have been unsuccessful in tracking down any records of her family and those relatives known as Pincente. Are there any contacts or resources available in Castrolibero that may assist me (and others) in searching out relatives that were born there in the late 1800s (1870 - 1910). Much appreciated if you can find this out.
                        >
                        > Enjoy your visit and please let us know of your experiences. It is my intention to visit the area in 2012 for an extended period as I still have a few close relatives there (San Fili, Rende) and I certainly will be taking many pictures and sharing my experiences with others.

                      • Erminia Angilletta

> [...]

                          > I have a small favor to ask of you when you visit Castrolibro (some older folks still refer to it by its former name - Castrofranco). My paternal grandmother (Giuseppina Aiello)  was born there in the mid 1870s and I have been unsuccessful in tracking down any records of her family and those relatives known as Pincente. Are there any contacts or resources available in Castrolibero that may assist me (and others) in searching out relatives that were born there in the late 1800s (1870 - 1910). Much appreciated if you can find this out.
                          >
                          > Enjoy your visit and please let us know of your experiences. It is my intention to visit the area in 2012 for an extended period as I still have a few close relatives there (San Fili, Rende) and I certainly will be taking many pictures and sharing my experiences with others.

                        • William Spizzirri
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 25 7:34 AM
                            I was able to find the house where my dad was born and where my cousin lives. Let me know if you have any questions about it. Drive safely.

                            I just now checked out your link below to the panoramic view of Marano Marchesato. I had NO IDEA that it is an interactive movable map of the streets of Marano Marchesato. This is absolutely amazing. I was able to follow the streets and look at everything panoramically as if I was actually there.

                            I am trying to find the house where my grandma was born. All the records say she was born on Via Curcio. I am thinking that the name was changed. Does anyone know what current street was via curcio?

                            Lisa

                            --- In maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com, William Spizzirri <wspizzi@...> wrote:

                            > We trained from Rome to Cosenza, going through Naples and Paola.
                            >
                            > Everyone is different but I must recommend, based on my recent experience, drive
                            > as little as possible in Italy. Only when you must. And be VERY careful driving
                            > in Naples. Give it serious thought. I consider myself a good, experienced driver
                            > but it's not for the faint hearted. After driving one day I gave up and let my
                            > family in Calabria drive me around that area, which is what they suggested in
                            > the first place. They were right. Based on what I saw, stop signs and traffic
                            > lights are considered quaint decorations. They don't even waste money on lane
                            > markers. One way streets are only a suggestion and the sidewalks are for
                            > pedestrians and cars. Honest. Even crossing the street on foot is an adventure.
                            > Don't make eye contact with the drivers because then they know you see them and
                            > so they can assume you know you should get out of the way. If you don't make eye
                            > contact, they feel you are an uninformed tourist and so they give you a break by
                            > not killing you. Do you feel lucky today? There are always taxis and you can
                            > hire private, scheduled cars although that is more expensive. We had good
                            > experience with private cars from Rome Cabs in Rome.
                            >

                            > There is also the problem of finding where you are going when you drive
                            > yourself. In the small mountain towns and big cities, we found many streets with
                            > no signs, maps that didn't have all the street names and forget GPS. We had one
                            > and it had the streets but it didn't show any street names, very limited value.
                            >

                            > If you drive yourself -  go with God.
                            >
                            > My family took me to the cemetery and I have no hope of knowing where I was. It
                            > was a very big cemetery in Marano Marchesato. I don't know this for sure but I
                            > would be surprised if there was more then one of that size in such a small town.
                            > I would think the city hall could certainly tell you how to get there. Sorry I
                            > can't tell you how to find that either. There is a nifty web site that allows
                            > you to take a driving tour of Marano Marchesato. Perhaps that could help you.
                            >

                            >  http://www.streetviewandmaps.com/en/map/it/345801-Marano-Marchesato/
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Dan Plastina
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 25 7:46 AM
                              Nuccia,

                              We had plenty of lightning but relatively little rain in our area. This storm was small stuff compared to the very large Hurricane Irene that is currently creating havoc in the Bahamas.

                              Charlene,

                              Speaking of lightning - it does have a tendency to strike when and where you least expect it.

                              Michele Misurelli (~1750) is my 4th great grandfather. He and his wife, Arcangela Micieli (Miceli), had at least 4 children - Cecilia (~1774), Michele (~1776), Antonio (~1781) and Teresa (~1789).  My direct lineage is through Teresa Misurelli in the following manner:

                              father - Saverio Misurelli (wife Arcangela Micieli)
                              daughter - Teresa Misurelli (husband Rosario Morrone)
                              son - Antonio Morrone (wife Rosaria Dattilo)
                              daughter - Elena Morrone (husband Giuseppe Plastina)
                              son - Michele Plastina (Giuseppina Aiello)
                              son - Antonio Plastina (wife Ida Cesario)
                              son - me

                              Obviously, there are other Misurelli conections in my tree and it will be very interesting to know how you and your family fit in. I, too, had many relatives that immigrated to the USA in the late 1800s and early 1900s (particularly Chicago and Kenosha) and I'm just beginning to track them down. I have started several websites concerning my ancestors. The following link offers a view of parenti who lived in Rende and San Fili during the time frame of about 1720 to 1870.

                              I'm excited to know where we may be connected.

                              Dan

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 26 8:37 AM
                                Oh my good goodness!!
                                Well, yes, lightning stikes when you least expect it, but I did not expect to be struck twice!!! You are the second person in the last year to have a Misurelli name.
                                I was contacted last year by a Vic Misurelli from Kenosha. I told him we are 100% related as my grandfather had it on his passport that was his destination. We checked and found that his father and 2 uncles that lived there, turned out to be my grandfathers' brothers.
                                He said he was going there to live with relatives, but did not say they were actually his siblings. So, that was a teriffic piece of news!!  If you can get there, the library apparently has a history book that the family is in. There are several Misurelli's in Kenosha and I am told they are all related except for one family that they were not able to link (so far).

                                I will email you this weekend with info. I suspect that there is a link somewhere as Misurelli is such an uncommon name and there are so few of us around the world. My grandfather Carmine came from Rende and as far as I know, we are the only ones in Canada.

                                PS You made my day!!!
                                Char.

                                Hoping weather from the tornado and hurricane not any worse...
                                Nice and cool here 24c. Ahhhh.