Ruffalo family in Wisconsin

  • nmaritch
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 24, 2010
      Hello,
      I am new to the group. I have been researching my family tree for about two years, and I have hit a couple of roadblocks. Salvatore Ruffalo is my great great grandfather. He was born in Marano in 1882, he came to the US, married Teresa Infusino and had 17 children. He was a farmer. I am trying to find out if he had siblings that came to the area, Kenosha, Wisconsin, as there are other Ruffalos in the area. Any help would be appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Nikki
    • Megan
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 24, 2010
        Hi Nikki,

        One of my great-aunt's married a Ruffalo and we are from Kenosha, Wisconsin! I'm not sure if it's any relation though, maybe distantly. My great-aunt Pearl (maiden name Perri) married Larry Ruffalo. I don't have a lot of information about her yet. I'll have to ask my dad and some of his cousins for more information. All I know is my great-aunt Pearl was born about 1925 so this is a different generation, but perhaps still a connection!

        Regards,
        Megan Perri

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 25, 2010
          I also have many Ruffalos and Ruffolos in my tree including 2 named Salvatore but not a match to yours. Do you know his father's name?  I'm sure if we dig around we can find a connection. There are many in Kenosha and Racine as well as some in Chicago.

          Louise Juliani

        • nmaritch
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 25, 2010
            My Salvatore was born in Italy, in 1882. I believe that I found his record in the State Archive of Consenza. It is listed as the same know birthdate of my Salvatore, but it is spelled RuffOLO, but his parents are Pasquale Ruffalo and Caterina Mandarino. I am looking for siblings. Any help is appreciated.

            Nikki
          • rose pennington
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 25, 2010
              Hi Nikki and All,

              In checking the Italian State Archives for Cosenza, I keyed in Caterina Mandarino, and found a Gabriele Ruffolo, born Nov. 12, 1871, in "Marano," to a Pasquale Ruffolo and Caterina Mandarino.  Also found Salvatore Ruffolo, born June 3, 1882, again in "Marano," to the same parents.

              The spelling may not be an issue if all else matches!  What are the odds of two people with those exact names marrying and having children in the same place at the same period in time?   An "o" in Italy, or an "a" in the US, most likely was a phonetic call. It happened so often with immigrants then.  Hope this helps with all of our Ruffolos/Ruffalos!

              Anyone have a Gabriele Ruffolo/Ruffalo out there?

              Rose

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 25, 2010
                My aunt, Francesca Plastina (born 1908 near Rende, Cosenza) married a Giuseppe Ruffolo from nearby San Vincenzo La Costa. Anyone familiar with Italian penmanship will know that the written o in Italian script will often look like an a and may have been interpreted as such when those with the Ruffolo name immigrated to the USA. Since many of our ancestors could neither read nor write, they would not have been able to argue the correct spelling of their names (if they were lucky enough to have an interpreter asking them such a question when they disembarked at Ellis Island).

                Using the same source as Rose Pennington:

                Luigi Ruffolo, muratore enlisted on 01/07/1896
                born on 13/10/1876 to MENDICINO

                son/daughter of Pasquale Ruffolo and of Caterina Mandarino

                While it may not be same couple from Marano Marchesato as mentioned by Rose, it does provide another possible lead for a sibling to Salvatore Ruffolo.

                There is currently a very large group of Ruffolos living in the Toronto area in southern Ontario, Canada.
                Dan Plastina

                born near Rende in 1947

                currently live in Caledon, ON Canada

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 26, 2010
                  Hi Dan and All,

                  Your point is well taken regarding script penmanship. LOL at the thought of an interpreter for the benefit of our Italian ancestors at Ellis Island!  Might as well have served biscotti and coffee for them, too, as part of their US welcome!  Here's a true story as told to me by my father; one I have related quite often, and here I go again.

                  My dad's father (my grandfather, Serafino Presta) and his cousin, also surname of Presta, were both disembarking in the US from Italy.  The inspector (customs agent) looked over the paperwork of my grandfather, said "Presta, go ahead," or something to that effect.  Next came the cousin.  The inspector looked over the paperwork, said "Presto, go ahead," or something to that effect.  After they were through customs my grandfather asked his cousin, "Why didn't you tell the inspector your name was Presta, not Presto?"  The cousin, still a bit nervous, replied, "Oh, no, I couldn't have done that; he might have sent me back!"  Such was the fear of an Italian immigrant in those days. The cousin kept the new name.  So to this day, somewhere in the US, there are Prestos; Prestos who were once Prestas.

                  The point is, we can't always be as concrete in our thinking regarding records and spelling from that point in time as we would be in this era.

                  Oh, and yes, I did see Luigi Ruffolo on the sight and thought perhaps he could also be a sibling.  Glad you pointed it out.  Isn't it a great website?  Nikki, perhaps you could locate the marriage record for Pasquale and Caterina to see if there is a connection to Mendicino for one of them.

                  Rose