Taylor Street Festival

  • christine_turza
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6, 2009
      I'm posting this from my phone before I forget, so I don't have a lot of information to provide but the Taylor Street Fest is this weekend - Friday to Sunday. I live in the neighborhood so hope to see you there! :)
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 23, 2009
        Hi Maranesi,
        I have temporarily taken the Marano family tree database offline.  The website is still up and running, I just suspended the family tree part of it.  I need to do some updating and improvements on the documentation.  Please be patient.  I hope everyone is having a nice summer.

        Lisa

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 24, 2009
          Calling all Chicago-area Maranesi:

          I am trying to get a table together for the Calabresi in America Organization Dinner Dance and Scholarship Awards Ceremony on Saturday, October 24th, at Victoria BeauJolie in Schiller Park, Illinois.

          I thought this would be a festive opportunity for some of us in the Chicago area to get together.  More information and an opportunity to purchase tickets online can be found at this link:

          If you buy tickets, let me know and I will make sure that we are at the same table together.

          Lisa

        • JAAndrzzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 25, 2009
            Hi Maranesi,

            I can't make the 10/24 event in Chicago, but I would like to learn more about the Calabresi in America Organization.
            My book, The Italians In Lackawanna, NY: Steelworkers, Merchants and Gardeners, has just been published. The largest groups of Italian immigrants were from Lazio and Abruzzo, but there were also a number from Marano Principato, including my mother's family and other Covellis. Included in the section on Italian roots are some descriptions of life in MP, a diagram of the Covelli rowhouse, and other bits of information about the town and chain migration to the US. If you are interested you can contact: cabinsixbooks@....
             Ciao,
                John Andreozzi

            In a message dated 9/24/2009 11:02:47 A.M. Central Daylight Time, LPRoots@... writes:

            Calling all Chicago-area Maranesi:

            I am trying to get a table together for the Calabresi in America Organization Dinner Dance and Scholarship Awards Ceremony on Saturday, October 24th, at Victoria BeauJolie in Schiller Park, Illinois.

            I thought this would be a festive opportunity for some of us in the Chicago area to get together.  More information and an opportunity to purchase tickets online can be found at this link:

            If you buy tickets, let me know and I will make sure that we are at the same table together.

            Lisa

          • Graham Mehl
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 21, 2009

              Hello John,

              I do not know if you recall me, but we talked a while back when I was researching my Covelli family roots in MP, Italy.

              I, being on the east coast (Maryland) cannot attend the 10/24 event in Chicago either. I am sort of interested in your book in regards to the life in MP. My grandparents and Aunt have visited with some of the descendants still there several years ago. I got lots of info about the family (names mostly), but not about the life there. I might purchase the book, but I wanted to see if it focus' on the Covelli families that immigrated to NY only. Per our discussion years ago, we concluded there was no connection. Then again my grandfather (god bless is resting sole) and I were not able to find my great great uncle's death certificate. It is like it is lost, so I have not been able to track him. Otherwise most of my ancestors immigrated to Chicago. So any insight would be wonderful.  Thanks.

              --

              Graham Mehl

              mehl@...

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 21, 2009
                Any relation to the Covelli family in Westchester or the Austin district of Chicago? The grandmother's name was Rafaella but I forget the grandfather's name.

              • JAAndrzzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 21, 2009
                  Hi Graham,
                  I do remember our past conversation. I found many Covellis in the MP vital statistics in the city hall, but have been unable to make the connections, even with those that I know were distant cousins. My book focuses on the Lackawanna Maranesi and my mother's memories of life in the town. Also, I used information from Franc Storino's book, Forging the Chain, which is about immigration from MP and surrounding towns. I have been told we have distant relatives in Chicago, but I have no names of individuals.

                  Now that I am finished with my book I will be updating our family history and doing more research on MP. My grandpa Covelli first went to Chicago and then to Kenosha before coming to Lackawanna.

                  Ciao,  John