Kenosha News article

  • Oldiani@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
      There was an article in today's Kenosha News about a Sam S. Ruffalo who was signing his book "From the Great Depression to Millionaire"  It stated he was the son on Gaspare and Consetta Ruffalo.  Sam was born about 1924 and had an older brother Serafino who was born in Italy.  It said the family immigrated from the Cosenza region. His father Gaspare died about 1936.  This family was not in my tree but if it is in one of yours, I would be happy to forward the article to you.

      Also I have an obituary on Giuseppina Chianello 1907-2006.  She was the daughter of Michael Cosentino and Rosina Ruffolo.  It doesn't identify where in Italy she was born but said she moved from Italy to Kenosha in the 1970s.  Her husband's name was Umberto Chianello.  Again if she is in someone's tree, I would be happy to forward the obituary to you.

      Happy New Year.

      Louise Juliani
    • p.garritano@att.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007

        Hi

         I would appreciate the obit of Giuseppina Chianello. I do not know if she is related to us(by marriage), since I haven't researched the Chianello branch of the family thoroughly yet. It would be nice to have the obit just in case, when I get back to my research.

        Thank you.

        Pam Garritano

        -------------- Original message from Oldiani@...: --------------

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 8, 2007
          I went to the Kenosha News website and saw a few more Marano sounding names (Sam Lucchetta, from Marano Principato as an example.)  But then I went on the Proko funeral home website and found all kinds of death notices with pictures!!  Giuseppina Chianello's obituary and a picture of her are included.  Check it out:

          Proko Funeral Home

          Kenosha News (only lists obits within the last 5 days):

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 26, 2007
            Hi everyone,
            I recently updated the Catasto index and family pages to include the following family that I previously missed while indexing:
            Given Name/Surname/relationship to head of household/occupation/age
            AndreaMolinaroheadpecoraro56
            DianoraChiappettamoglie50
            Paulosorellobracciale18
            PietroBelmontefigliastropecoraro14
            NataleBelmontefigliastro12

            Catasto Onciaro pages are here:

            Lisa

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 26, 2007
              Here is yet another family that I missed.  In case you are wondering, I am adding more family details to my index that will eventually be on the website.  Right now I am working on where families lived and who their neighbors were.  As I am transcribing, I am noticing these families that I missed.

              AntonioPagliaroheadbracciale50
              Caterinadi buonomoglie51
              Dom.cofigliobracciale25
              Pietrofigliobracciale22
              Teresafigliain capillis18

              Looking for earth-friendly autos?
            • michaeljmoretti@cs.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 26, 2007
                The catasto onciario is amazing information.  Thank you Lisa.  While there are many Cosentino's (my grandmother's ancestors), there is not a single Moretti on the list.  From the stories of my older relatives, I now that my Moretti ancestors moved to Calabria with "the Duke" from somewhere in Northern Italy, but we don't know when (obviously sometime after 1754) or from where.  I do know the Moretti surname is much more prevelant to the North, Venice for example, than in Calabria.  If anyone else can shed any light on where the Morano Marchesato Moretti's came from, I would be greatly appreciative.

                Michael Moretti
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Michael,
                  I have a similar phenomena with my grandmother's surname, Barbieiri.  Not one such name appears in Marano in 1754.  I also have family lore about the Barbieri's arrival to Marano, but it is a fantastic story of the Barbieri having to flee from some other place (I have heard Milan and Spain) because he slit the neck of his business partner for cheating him.

                  The best I can figure, my Barbieris must have arrived sometime after 1754 (catasto date) and before 1786 (date of death of the father of a groom who was married in 1813) - who at that time was indicated as Barbiero (not Barbieri).  I cannot fathom where to go from here, other than to hope that the Barbieri who died in 1786 was on another town's Catasto in 1754.  Alas, it would still be difficult to identify him, even if I did find it. The best I can do right now is to study the history of Italy and figure out if there was anything politically going on in Italy between 1754-1786 that would cause my ggggrandfather to emmigrate to Marano- and why Marano?????

                  Michael, have you personally traced the records of your Moretti's to the earliest date possible in the civil records?  I ask this because I believe that "Moretti" and "Morelli" could easily have been mis-transcribed by myself, or even the people from Marano who created the indecis from the actual records.  Perhaps there is a possibility that Moretti was once Morelli?  There are alot of Morelli's or Morello's on the catasto....

                  On a side note - I think it would be interesting if we could somehow identify all the family names were NOT in the Catasto of 1754 but were part of the town when civil records began recording in 1809.

                  Lisa

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                    Dear researchers,

                    The Catasto is a nice source for our research, painting a picture of the families that lived in Marano in 1754 - a snapshot of one point in time in Marano.  Our second gem of data are the civil records (birth marriage and death) from 1809-1910.  An epic saga could be written with the information included over the 101 years.  But we have a gap of 55 years - a gap which can only be partially filled with existing church records.

                    As listed on the website, there are several church records that are still in existence and in a parrochial library somewhere in Marano or Cosenza:

                    The records that would partially bridge the gap between 1754(catasto year) and 1809 (beginning of civil records) are the following:

                    Liber Renatorum
                    (baptismal register)
                    1796-1806
                    Liber defunctorum
                    (Register of the Dead)
                    1775-1789

                    Let us all keep this in mind as we do our research and possible correspondence with friends/family in Italy.  We want access to these records.  We want to pour over every page and extract all the information therein, for all families, not just our own.  We have to find someone who can get microfilms, photocopies or electronic images of every page of these documents and send them to us.  Or we need to be at a point in our life to go to italy and spend some time transcribing them ourselves.

                    So if anyone comes across the possibility of getting this information, please jump on it.  This is priceless, I would be willing to pay something for it and bet that many of us would be happy to kick in if necessary.  The roadblock for me is communciation:  Who to ask, and how to ask.

                    Lisa

                  • Diane PATTERSON
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Lisa, I would gladly contribute money if needed.

                      Count me in.

                      Diane

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2007
                        Dear Diane,
                        Thank you so much, I expect that many of us would be willing, if financially able, to kick in cash.  But what we need right now is information about the availability of the records.  We need someone who can speak italian well and who knows someone in Cosenza area who can find out if copies of the records are even attainable.

                        Enjoy the weekend everyone, especially the Super Bowl.  Please join me in cheering on the Chicago Bears.  Go Bears!!!

                        Lisa

                        Diane PATTERSON <patdiane@...> wrote:
[...]

                        TV dinner still cooling?

                      • Diane PATTERSON
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
                          Right On GO BEARS!  I may not live there anymore but I am still a Bears fan.

                          You should check with my cousin Peter, his mother speaks Italian well and came from that area when she was a teenager.   I believe she still has family in the area that she corresponds with or perhaps her brother and his wife still keep in touch with people there.

                          I use to be in contact with a Franco Belmonte from  Rende, with with transferring computers I have lost his email address.  Perhaps I will try and find it again.

                          There has got to be a way.   There has to be someone in our group or the group in Canada that has a connection.

                          Keep us all informed.

                          Diane---- Original Message -----

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 3, 2007
                            Count me in on financial support.  That gap is frustrating.

                            Louise Juliani
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 6, 2007
                              I have been corresponding with someone from another town.  We were acquainted through the internet by our similar interest in Catasto research.  I told him about my desire to view the church records of our town due to the large gap between the Catasto and civil record dates.  He wrote back and agreed that he needed to do this himself, but he shared with me this interesting excerpt from yet another researcher .  This describes his experience in viewing his town's church records.  This is an exposure to the nature that we are dealing with:

                              >>"My primary research goal during this trip was to consult the church records of Policastrello which as I've mentioned in the past is the village of origin for most of my immediate ancestors. Prior to the trip I had been told that the way to most likely succeed in obtaining permission to consult church records was to show up at the parish priest's doorstep unannounced because it is too easy for him to respond in the negative if you make your request from a distance by mail or telephone. So show up unannounced is what I did. The Policastrello church no longer has a resident priest - he resides in the nearby town of S. Sosti. I went to S. Sosti and managed to find him on my first try with some help from the locals. I presented myself and explained why I had come, outlining the research I had done and my desire to consult pre-1900 records. He readily accepted to let me consult the registers and made a couple of phone calls to arrange that the registers be made available to me. The fact that I have a cousin in S. Sosti who is a fervent church goer and known to the priest may have helped my cause, but the impression I got was that he would have been receptive to the idea as long as the person requesting is a serious researcher. The registers provided to me consisted of baptism/marr/death and confirmation records. A quick perusal revealed that the earliest church records in the bunch dated from circa 1685. This was not as old as I had hoped to find given that the church is over 500 years old and that Rome had instituted the practice of record-keeping sometime in mid 1500's. Furthermore the registers, especially the pre-1800, are in bad shape, i.e. faded writing, bleed thru, water damage, vandalism, ... the whole gamut. To my surprise and shock the registers I was viewing were being kept not in the church but in a private home (the home of one of 4 persons with a key to the church). Worse still, most of them were kept in a simple shopping bag ! If this is the type of attention given to them over the years it's not surprising the poor condition they are in today and that there are missing years - in fact several decades of missing data. The registers were brought to the church so that I could consult them in the sacristy.>>""

                              Lisa

                              Never miss an email again!
                              Yahoo! Toolbar