      From: maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com [mailto:maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris
      Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2013 10:52 AM
      To: maranofamilies@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [maranofamilies] Trip to Calabria

      We were there last October to visit San sistp and San Vincenzo which are just next to marano m and pp all really part of the same area we stayed in the city of cosenza

      At the former holiday inn which is now the

      Italian hotel the front desk personnel spoke

      English. We stopped in the village but didn't find anyone that spoke English.

      Beautiful area though.

      Chris scarlato Urfer

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 14, 2013, at 10:39 AM, Jaandrzzi <JAAndrzzi@...> wrote:

      Hi Michael,

      My experience in 3 trips to Italy -- the last one in 2012 -- is that more Italians, especially the younger generation (I am 69) speak English. This is most true in areas that tourists visit. But Cosenza , and certialy Marano M. and P. aren't big tourist attractions. I assume most hotels in Cosenza will have English-speaking staff, but I don't know that. Usually there is someone in each town who speaks a little English, and if you go into Marano M. or P., you could go to the local bar (coffee shop) or town hall and say you're the grandson of Giacinto Moretti or _?_ Cosentino, and that will give you more legitimacy and a relative would be more quick to locate a paesan' who speaks some English. Or do you have relatives there that your family has been in touch with? If so, you could write/e-mail them in basic  Italian and explain what you need. I found that most Italians are cordial when they see that you are trying to speak their language, no matter how poorly you are doing so. I usually pay someone to have a few 1-on-1 tutoring sessions just before I go to Italy.
      I have relatives in Marano P. and nearby Rende, and I woman speaks English. But I would have to contact her to see if she would be willing to help you. What exactly are you looking for? --someone to translate for you as you do research on your family, or to find and talk with relatives, or something else? You can phone me at 823-8365.

      By the way, I am now in Lackawanna and will be coordinating a two day program at the Lake Erie Italian club this coming week end. See the attached,