Different map behavior on Garmin 60csx and Garmin Quest (cGPSMapper)

  • Ilya Rodichev
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2007
      I have converted my map from Polish to Garmin using trial personal
      version of cGPSMapper. When I upload map to 60csx using SendMap I see
      the following behavior:

      1. In Find -> Cities I see list of cities and Find_by_Name works fine.

      2. In Find -> Address -> Enter a City I also see list of cities by
      Find_by_Name doesn't work. If I try to enter city name I see empty
      list. But Find_by_name in list of streets works fine.

      The same map works fine on Garmin Quest.

      Could someone help me on this? What's wrong with my map?

      Thanks in advance :)
    • Sergio L Barroso
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
        Did you try using "Select Map" (Menu->Select Map, I guess, on the "Find
        Address" screen)?

        Regards,
        Sergio

        On 6/1/07, Ilya Rodichev <ilya.rodichev@...> wrote:

        > I have converted my map from Polish to Garmin using trial personal
        > version of cGPSMapper. When I upload map to 60csx using SendMap I see
        > the following behavior:
        >
        > 1. In Find -> Cities I see list of cities and Find_by_Name works fine.
        >
        > 2. In Find -> Address -> Enter a City I also see list of cities by
        > Find_by_Name doesn't work. If I try to enter city name I see empty
        > list. But Find_by_name in list of streets works fine.
        >
        > The same map works fine on Garmin Quest.
        >
        > Could someone help me on this? What's wrong with my map?
        >
        > Thanks in advance :)

      • Ilya Rodichev
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
          > Did you try using "Select Map" (Menu->Select Map, I guess, on
          the "Find Address" screen)?

          There's no this "select map" option on 60csx.
        • Gary Turner
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
            From what you describe, there is nothing to suggest that you have in fact associated cities with streets.

            i.e. there is nothing in the map to say that xxx street is in yyy city. So if you specify yyy city it will fail to find street xxx, since it thinks that xxx has no city.

            You can have a list of cities, and a collection of streets - and I imagine that would give exactly the behaviour you describe.

            How have you specified the city indexing in your map?

            (I'm not that familiar with doing this in polish - I normally do it in shape)

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 5, 2007
              > i.e. there is nothing in the map to say that xxx street is in yyy
              city. So if you specify yyy city it will fail to find street xxx,
              since it thinks that xxx has no city.

              But I'm not even able to specify yyy city. If I try to enter name of
              city, list of cities becomes empty. But if I select city from list
              (without attempt to find city by name), everything works fine.

              > How have you specified the city indexing in your map?

              [Cities]
              City1=cityname
              RegionIdx1=1
              [END-Cities]

              [POLYLINE]
              Type=0x6
              Label=street_name
              EndLevel=2
              StreetDesc=street_desc
              CityIdx=1
              RoadID=493
              RouteParam=....
              Data0=.....
              Nod1=0,484,0
              Nod2=1,5785,0
              Nod3=5,642,0
              [END]
            • Gary Turner
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2007
                How much have you edited this listing? Or is this exactly as you have it?
                It's not a lot of use sending an example that isn't exactly what you have in your file.

                I find it hard to believe that you actually have a city called 'cityname' - and a street called 'street_name'. That looks more like it is copied from a sample.

                However -from what you have written - you only have one city-called cityname. Unless you enter 'cityname' as the city, you will not find the street.

                BTW - I take it you also have a countries and regions section?
                I take it also you are using GPS Mapedit? You didn't mention that - and it would have helped...

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2007
                  > How much have you edited this listing? Or is this exactly as you
                  have it?

                  Just changed city and region name and removed RouteParam and Data0

                  > I find it hard to believe that you actually have a city
                  called 'cityname' - and a street called 'street_name'. That looks
                  more like it is copied from a sample.

                  No! This is from real map. I would like to emphasize that this map
                  works fine on Garmin Quest but it doesn't on 60csx.

                  > However -from what you have written - you only have one city-
                  called cityname. Unless you enter 'cityname' as the city, you will
                  not find the street.

                  If I enter 'c' to find 'cityname' I see empty list. This is the
                  problem.

                  > BTW - I take it you also have a countries and regions section?

                  Sure.

                  > I take it also you are using GPS Mapedit? You didn't mention that -
                  and it would have helped...

                  Yes, I use Mapedit.
                • Gary Turner
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 5, 2007
                    I would like to reiterate that it is not a good idea to over-edit samples. We spent ages a while back trying to diagnose some persons problem - and it turned out they were removing the problem before they posted it!

                    I wouldn't take the fact that it works on another unit as gospel. The Quest and other later units do things in entirely different ways.
                    That can mean that (for instance) street indexing that works on 76/60-series units doesn't work on Nuvi - the old 'enter a state' problem...

                    I've also realised that you are using personal edition. i.e. you can't use global indexing.
                    This may contribute to/effect your problem. I'm not sure how indexing works with these compilers, as the maps I work on are global-indexed.

                    hmm - another thing that may relate to this is the codepage. We have noticed problems with indexing streets (entering names) when non-6-bit names are used. Perhaps that is part of your problem too?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 6, 2007
                      > I would like to reiterate that it is not a good idea to over-edit
                      samples. We spent ages a while back trying to diagnose some persons
                      problem - and it turned out they were removing the problem before
                      they posted it!

                      Please see not edited part of my .mp file below.

                      > That can mean that (for instance) street indexing that works on
                      76/60-series units doesn't work on Nuvi - the old 'enter a state'
                      problem...

                      btw, is there any solution for this 'enter a state' problem?

                      > I've also realised that you are using personal edition. i.e. you
                      can't use global indexing.

                      You're right. But if there's only map on the device I think it
                      should work wihout global indexing. Am I wrong?

                      > hmm - another thing that may relate to this is the codepage. We
                      have noticed problems with indexing streets (entering names) when
                      non-6-bit names are used. Perhaps that is part of your problem too?

                      I've just tried to use default CodePage and LblCoding values. Result
                      the same.

                      Below is a part of my .mp file:

                      [IMG ID]
                      ID=10020052
                      Name=Nizhny Novgorod
                      Elevation=M
                      Preprocess=F
                      TreSize=511
                      TreMargin=0.00000
                      RgnLimit=1024
                      POIIndex=Y
                      MG=Y
                      Numbering=Y
                      Routing=Y
                      Levels=4
                      Level0=24
                      Level1=23
                      Level2=22
                      Level3=19
                      Zoom0=0
                      Zoom1=1
                      Zoom2=2
                      Zoom3=3
                      [END-IMG ID]

                      [Countries]
                      Country1=Russia~[0x1d]RUS
                      [END-Countries]

                      [Regions]
                      Region1=NIZHEGORODSKAYA OBL.
                      CountryIdx1=1
                      Region2=BORSKII R-N NIZHEGORODSKOI OBL.
                      CountryIdx2=1
                      [END-Regions]

                      [Cities]
                      City1=NIZHNII NOVGOROD
                      RegionIdx1=1
                      City2=KSTOVO
                      RegionIdx2=1
                      City3=DZERZHINSK
                      RegionIdx3=1
                      City4=ZHELNINO
                      RegionIdx4=1
                      City5=PUSHKINO
                      RegionIdx5=1
                      City6=BABUSHKINO
                      RegionIdx6=1
                      City7=DACHNYI
                      RegionIdx7=1
                      City8=YUR'EVETS
                      RegionIdx8=1
                      City9=BELOUSOVO
                      RegionIdx9=2
                      City10=BOR
                      RegionIdx10=2
                      City11=BORISOVKA
                      RegionIdx11=2
                      City12=VARNACHEVO
                      RegionIdx12=2
                      City13=VLADIMIROVO
                      RegionIdx13=2
                      City14=VLASOVO
                      RegionIdx14=2
                      City15=GLUBINNYI
                      RegionIdx15=2
                      City16=GORELOVO
                      RegionIdx16=2
                      City17=GRYAZNOVO
                      RegionIdx17=2
                      City18=ELEVAYA
                      RegionIdx18=2
                      City19=ZABOR'E
                      RegionIdx19=2
                      City20=ZOLOTOVO
                      RegionIdx20=2
                      City21=ZYKOVO
                      RegionIdx21=2
                      City22=IVON'KINO
                      RegionIdx22=2
                      City23=KVASOVO
                      RegionIdx23=2
                      City24=KLYUKINO
                      RegionIdx24=2
                      City25=KOLOBOVO
                      RegionIdx25=2
                      City26=KOL'TSOVO
                      RegionIdx26=2
                      City27=KORINKA
                      RegionIdx27=2
                      City28=KOSTINO
                      RegionIdx28=2
                      City29=KRASNAYA SLOBODA
                      RegionIdx29=2
                      City30=LAPINO
                      RegionIdx30=2
                      City31=LETNEVO
                      RegionIdx31=2
                      City32=MEDVEDKOVO
                      RegionIdx32=2
                      City33=MYS
                      RegionIdx33=2
                      City34=OVECHKINO
                      RegionIdx34=2
                      City35=OMANOVO
                      RegionIdx35=2
                      City36=PIKINSKIE GRIVY
                      RegionIdx36=2
                      City37=PICHUGINO
                      RegionIdx37=2
                      City38=RYABINKI
                      RegionIdx38=2
                      City39=SOVETSKII
                      RegionIdx39=2
                      City40=SOFRONOVO
                      RegionIdx40=2
                      City41=SOSHNIKI
                      RegionIdx41=2
                      City42=STRAHOVO
                      RegionIdx42=2
                      City43=TAINOVO
                      RegionIdx43=2
                      City44=TARASOVO
                      RegionIdx44=2
                      City45=TELYAT'EVO
                      RegionIdx45=2
                      City46=TEMRYASHINO
                      RegionIdx46=2
                      City47=TRUBNIKOVO
                      RegionIdx47=2
                      City48=HRUSCHEVO
                      RegionIdx48=2
                      City49=CHISTYAKI
                      RegionIdx49=2
                      City50=SHERSTNEVO
                      RegionIdx50=2
                      [END-Cities]

                      [ZipCodes]
                      ZipCode1=603000
                      ZipCode2=603146
                      ZipCode3=603085
                      ZipCode4=603057
                      ZipCode5=603006
                      ZipCode6=603115
                      ZipCode7=603024
                      ZipCode8=603105
                      ZipCode9=603600
                      [END-ZipCodes]

                      [POI]
                      Type=0x2e04
                      Label=VISHNYOVYIY SAD
                      CityIdx=1
                      Data0=(56.33113,43.84015)
                      [END]

                      [POLYLINE]
                      Type=0x7
                      Label=STANISLAVSKOGO UL.
                      EndLevel=1
                      CityIdx=1
                      RoadID=58
                      RouteParam=2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
                      Data0=(56.35066,43.83607),(56.35154,43.83841)
                      Nod1=0,54,0
                      Nod2=1,621,0
                      [END]

                      [POLYLINE]
                      Type=0x4
                      Label=KOMINTERNA UL.
                      EndLevel=2
                      CityIdx=1
                      RoadID=1161
                      RouteParam=3,2,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
                      Data0=(56.36104,43.86246),(56.35784,43.86446),(56.35660,43.86519)
                      Nod1=0,96,0
                      Nod2=2,107,0
                      [END]