NEED HELP HERE!

  • martinis_on_the_beach
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 12, 2003
      How can I take a NOAA ECN map and import it into my MAPTECH Offshore
      Navigator program. I am trying to cut down on the costs of
      electronic maps but I am having no luck. It appears that MAPTECH
      will only recognize BSB file formats. I know there has got to be way
      to import these maps from the NOAA web site. I am using these maps
      for sailing.

      Any help is appreciated.
    • Errol Swanstrom
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 2003
        I am also trying to figure out how to use the
        noaa enc maps with any program that will allow my gps
        to input its position

        Thanks , errol
        --- martinis_on_the_beach <martini007@...> wrote:
        > How can I take a NOAA ECN map and import it into my
        > MAPTECH Offshore
        > Navigator program. I am trying to cut down on the
        > costs of
        > electronic maps but I am having no luck. It appears
        > that MAPTECH
        > will only recognize BSB file formats. I know there
        > has got to be way
        > to import these maps from the NOAA web site. I am
        > using these maps
        > for sailing.
        >
        > Any help is appreciated.

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Doug Adomatis
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 2003
          --- martinis_on_the_beace wrote:
          > How can I take a NOAA ECN map and import it into ...
          Try contacting the author of GPS Utility ( http://www.gpsu.co.uk )
          I'm always impressed by what Alan Murphy's program will do. If it
          doesn't import your ECN maps already, give Alan a compelling reason
          and he just might do it. Feel free to mention this Map Authors
          Forum - working together to improve how we do things is what this
          consortium is all about!
          - Doug
        • Doug Adomatis
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 14, 2003
            --- In map_authors@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Adomatis" <gps_maps@t...>
            wrote:
            > --- martinis_on_the_beace wrote:
            > > How can I take a NOAA ECN map and import it into ...

            I just found this in my email archive:
            TO: All registered FUGAWI users

            FUGAWI Marine ENC is new, affordable GPS navigation software for the
            boater or sailor. Based on the famous FUGAWI 3, FUGAWI Marine ENC
            supports the new generation of advanced nautical charts. If you
            currently use your FUGAWI software as an aid to marine navigation,
            and especially if you boat in U.S. waters, please read on.

            NEW GENERATION NAUTICAL CHARTS - FREE FOR U.S. WATERS
            S-57 format Electronic Navigation Charts (ENC) are vector marine
            charts, produced using the specification of the International
            Hydrographic Office (IHO). ENCs are the route to paperless navigation
            as they are fully digital charts, not a scanned reproduction of a
            paper chart.

            In the USA, The Office of Coast Survey (OCS) has been involved in the
            development of a NOAA ENC suite. These NOAA ENCs (coastal water
            charts) as well as the Army Corps of Engineers IENCs (inland water
            charts) are free-of-charge.

            FUGAWI Marine ENC supports these free ENC charts as well as
            international S-57 format charts. The current coverage of U.S. water
            ENCs can be found at http://www.fugawi.com/docs/navframe.html with
            expanded coverage and chart updates available free-of-charge as they
            are released.

            ABOUT FUGAWI MARINE ENC
            FUGAWI Marine ENC software, released at the 2003 Miami International
            Boat Show, runs on a PC or laptop and, when connected to a GPS,
            allows boaters to navigate in real-time using a choice of map formats
            including the new, free-of-charge NOAA ENC vector charts and the
            inland waterway IENC charts.

            Containing all the features that made the original FUGAWI famous,
            including: moving map navigation using industry standard charts such
            as MAPTECH(TM), SoftChart, and NDI Digital OceanĀ®; easy "point-and-
            click" route creation; and GPS upload and download of waypoints,
            routes, and tracks, FUGAWI Marine ENC also supports the new
            generation of ENC nautical charts.

            FUGAWI Marine ENC is also the only marine package to come standard
            with software for Windows as well as Pocket PC and Palm OS PDA
            devices. Full PC-based navigation is available or, FUGAWI Marine ENC
            will transfer rasterized charts to a GPS enabled PDA for hand-held
            navigation.

            Further, the boater or sailor can toggle the display of soundings,
            lights, or text on ENC charts as desired to de-clutter the screen.
            FUGAWI Marine ENC will display safe navigation areas in a different
            color from shallow areas - based on the users setting for vessel
            draft. Also, the user can change the soundings units from meters to
            feet.

            FUGAWI Marine ENC also comes with the new feature 'DisplayUP'.
            DisplayUP provides the user to choose from Map-Up, Route-up, Course-
            Up or North-Up map orientations.

            All FUGAWI Marine ENC products are supplied with currently available
            coastal NOAA ENC Charts and Inland IENC charts on CD-ROM. Users can
            download expanded coverage and updates at no charge.

            PRICING AND OPTIONS:
            FUGAWI Marine ENC comes as a complete package for US$ 198.00. For
            those who want only to view the ENC charts, FUGAWI View ENC is
            available for US$ 19.00. The viewer does not contain the GPS
            navigation, multiple map formats, or other advanced features of
            FUGAWI Marine ENC.

            FUGAWI Marine ENC is available now from leading marine retailers or
            directly from www.fugawi.com or by calling 416-920 0447.

            Users should note that in the United States, ENC data is currently
            being issued provisionally, based on the best information at the
            time, and could contain errors or omissions. Thus the ENC data should
            only be considered as an aid to navigation and does not replace a
            primary navigation system.

            HOW TO ORDER (All prices in USD)
            Al products can be ordered from
            http://www.fugawi.com/docs/purchase.html or from a authorized FUGAWI
            Dealer (see http://www.fugawi.com/docs/purchdealers1.html for a
            listing of dealers)

            FUGAWI Marine ENC $198.00
            Contains all the functions of FUGAWI 3 plus the ability to view and
            query ENC charts as well as navigate using ENCs in real-time with a
            GPS. Includes all currently available ENCs of US coastal and inland
            waters.

            FUGAWI View ENC $19.00
            Provides viewing and query functions for ENC charts only. Includes
            all currently available ENCs of US coastal and inland waters.

            UPGRADES:
            FUGAWI license owners can upgrade to FUGAWI Marine ENC from
            http://www.fugawi.com/docs/purchase.html Upgrade prices start at just
            $99.00 (that's a 50% savings!)

            FUGAWI 3 to FUGAWI Marine ENC - No Media - Web Upgrade Only $99.00
            With this option, you download the latest version of FUGAWI as well
            as the latest available US Water ENC charts. No product will be
            shipped to you.

            FUGAWI 3 to FUGAWI Marine ENC - With Media and Manual $109.00
            With this option, a new software package will be shipped to you
            containing the software on CD and a CD-ROM containing all currently
            available US Water ENCs

            FUGAWI 1 or 2 to FUGAWI Marine ENC - With Media and Manual $129.00
            For pre-version 2 FUGAWI users, the upgrade will ship in a new box
            with media, manual and CD's

            FOR MORE INFORMATION:
            Details on FUGAWI Marine ENC can be found at:
            http://www.fugawi.com/docs/navframe.html
            To order FUGAWI Marine ENC, go to
            http://www.fugawi.com/docs/purchase.html or check our listing of
            FUGAWI dealers at http://www.fugawi.com/docs/purchdealers1.html
            Details on the NOAA ENC program (free coastal water charts) can be
            found at http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/index.htm
            Details on the Army Corps of Engineers IENC program (free inland
            water charts) can be found at
            http://www.tec.army.mil/echarts/inlandnav/index.html
            For any other questions, please email sales@....

            ABOUT NORTHPORT SYSTEMS INC.
            Established in 1995 in Toronto, Canada, Northport Systems Inc., was
            founded to produce affordable GPS software.

            With its products in use in over 80 countries, FUGAWI enjoys a
            worldwide reputation as a leader in GPS mapping software and
            innovative GPS applications.
            A division of the company develops specialized products such as MilX,
            developed in conjunction with Lockheed Martin, which is used by NATO
            forces for close air support; and a software interface for providing
            geographical camera control for airborne surveillance operations.
            .
            FUGAWI Software
            www.fugawi.com
            sales@...
            Phone +1-416-920 0447
          • cq
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 15, 2003
              Hi all,
              I need to convert about 470meg (76 files) of ASCII(XYZ) into grid ASCII has
              any one done the conversion and has the formula/method or a stand alone
              program for doing the conversion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

              Thanks
              Alan D
            • acoralnut
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 18, 2003
                Alan,
                This might be right up my alley. Send me one of the files (make
                sure it's zipped nice and small!!!) and I'll see what I can do with
                it. Oh, and do mention an output pixel size and projection.
                -Chris

                --- In map_authors@yahoogroups.com, "cq" <cq@s...> wrote:
                > Hi all,
                > I need to convert about 470meg (76 files) of ASCII(XYZ) into grid
                ASCII has
                > any one done the conversion and has the formula/method or a stand
                alone
                > program for doing the conversion. Any help would be greatly
                appreciated.

                > Thanks
                > Alan D
              • cq
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 19, 2003
                  Hi,
                  Thanks for your offer. 1 zipped file is 1.5 megs Let me know if this is OK
                  to forward to you.
                  As for the pixel size I have no idea, never been down this path before. I
                  have just moved into OziExplorer 3D. I propose to use them on 1:25,000 topo
                  maps, the UTM projection is Australian 66 I understand this file will be in
                  zone 56 South. I have had advice that a program by the name of 'MapExplorer'
                  from here www.micropath.com will do the job but this costs US$250 I find
                  that a bit too much for my Volunteer Fire Brigades budget. If you do find a
                  way of converting the file I would love instructions on how to carry out the
                  conversion.
                  I will post a message on the yahoo site making ref to 'mapexplorer' program.

                  Thanks, awaiting your reply

                  Alan
                  Bawley Point Fire Brigade
                  New South Wales
                  Australia

                  This might be right up my alley. Send me one of the files (make
                  sure it's zipped nice and small!!!) and I'll see what I can do with
                  it. Oh, and do mention an output pixel size and projection.
                  -Chris

                  --- In map_authors@yahoogroups.com, "cq" <cq@s...> wrote:
                  > Hi all,
                  > I need to convert about 470meg (76 files) of ASCII(XYZ) into grid
                  ASCII has
                  > any one done the conversion and has the formula/method or a stand
                  alone
                  > program for doing the conversion. Any help would be greatly
                  appreciated.

                  > Thanks
                  > Alan D
                • cq
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 19, 2003
                    Hi all,
                    Thanks, I will contact you off list.
                    I had information from another source that MapExplorer from
                    www.micropath.com will do the job of converting from ASCII(XYZ) into
                    GridASCII but the program will cost us US$250.. Way beyond the limits of our
                    volunteer fire brigade budget. I could not get MSAccess 2000 to export the
                    query converted data into the required fixed length ASCII format. MSExcel
                    will only deal with 65,000 lines at a time not the 370,000 lines of these
                    files.

                    Alan
                    Bawley Point Fire Brigade