Re: [ GPS Maps ] MapEdit islands

  • Marcelo A. Rodríguez Claude
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2004
      You can easily create islands using GPSMapEdit. First define a polygon (say,
      a lake), then an inner polygon of the same type (but this is not mandatory).
      This second polygon will be your island. Now with the selection tool active
      select first the lake and then the island but be sure to hold down the shift
      key while selecting them both. Once you have done your selection right-click
      on any of the polygons and select "join objects" from the emerging menu,
      voila!! You can create as many islands as you need this way.

      HTH
      Regards
      Marcelo

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
        >>I follow the first part of your directions but I am having a problem with
        the final part

        Are you using the correct product? The instructions I gave were for MapMan
        because I did not know whether MapEdit handled this. Apparently it does but
        with MapEdit it is done slightly differently. Konstantin published posted
        the following instructions:

        >>1. Draw island as polygon inside lake, the type doesn't matter
        >>2. Select both lake and island by clicking them holding SHIFT
        >>3. Right-click on the selection and press context menu item 'Join
        >>objects'
        >>
        >>After this, the island becomes integral (inner) element of the lake.
        >>And inner elements of polygons are considered as 'holes' in Polish
        >>format.

        Regards
        Keith
      • vta101ca