[ GPS Maps ] Re: Time for phone app update

  • gepp1
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 19 8:09 AM
      > does that imply if its jailbroken that the ios will be ok with it then?

      Definitions:
      Unlock - Allows the use of SIM cards from any carrier with compatible frequency bands - note this only liberates the radio (phone)
      Jailbreak - Allows the installation of non-original software. In some cases this means everything from operating systems to minor applications.

      Note - I think it would be very unattractive for small independent GPS related developers to develop software for Apples. There are three different versions required and the market is cut up by carrier plus to get any substantial distribution you have to be Apple certified and give them a cut. The off-line navigation market is small enough and largely outside North America and Western Europe where maps are largely home brew.

      We all saw how successful Garmin and DeLorme, etc. were with closed proprietary systems .... right ???

      Spring for $100 and get a good used Android

      GPSGary
    • Bill Fuhrmann
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 23 10:36 AM
        T-mobile has a pay monthly plan for $50 with unlimited phone, text, and web.
        100 meg at 4g speed, then it drops to 3g

        Walmart has their "family" plan for $45 with unlimited phone, text, and web
        but it is only 3g. They use the T-mobile network.

        Neither of those plans will work outside the US. You would need to get a
        new sim card for that.

        I went with the T-mobile plan because they had a sale of $100 less for the
        same phone and they would unlock it after 3 months, but that really doesn't
        matter to you.