[ GPS Maps ] Re: Time for phone app update - GPS tracks question

  • gepp1
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19 7:18 AM
      > And NEITHER of them is an android app as was the key item in my question.
      >
      > They combine a GPS track with the dates on photos and recordings from other devices.

      Your original question was;
      >Are there any android apps that will create a track that can be exported to other software?

      I'm going to re-iterate:
      There are NUMEROUS Android "trackers/navigators" that record "tracks" usually in GPX format. The one I found most similar to my needs and Garmin Mobile type performance is OSMAnd ... It's free right now. It stores the track and you can download it (or presumably send) it to other devices, EXACTLY as you asked. It is hard to find where the GPX file is but that should get resolved with better documentation.

      Then I suggested GeoSetter (also free, are we getting my preference here?) to time stamp photos. BTW - You can timestamp the THM files for videos and record all the narrative you want on the voice track. AND almost all Android smartphones record MPG. I have yet to find any application that will embed GPS coordinates in video files but I'm sure there is one.

      GPSGary
    • Bill Fuhrmann
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 19 8:56 AM
        I appreciate the links that were given for OSMand and OSMTracker.
        I need to experiment to see if OSMand can bump off TeleNav as my app for
        finding locations and directions.
        It also looks like OSMTracker does everything I want as a adjunct to another
        app.

        I won't be doing photos (I have already known about GeoSetter but have never
        needed it) on a regular basis and If I need to (without prior planning to
        bring a camera) it will be with the cell phone.

        Thanks guys for the help, now on to the experimenting.

        Bill Fuhrmann