Re: [ GPS Maps ] Re: Time for phone app update

  • Jeramey Valley
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 13 2:02 PM
      Do not have to jailbreak the phone to get at the basic file system but do have to use a 3rd party util (such as the Iexplorer program suggested). Can then manually add your gmapsupp.img files (I've not tried using other file names).

      Some apps allow for adding files via other methods and so do not require the use of Iexplorer, however Garmin's app is not one of them.

      The new maps will show in MyMaps within the App, but you can not toggle them on/off like on a regular Garmin unit. If they are installed, they are enabled at this point. To me, it looks like Garmin set it up to support adding more maps but didn't finish the feature or maybe plans to down the road.

      Performance and display are very nice. Searching for POI works as do the other limited functions I've tried such as tracking.

      --

      Regards,

      Jeramey Valley
      jvalley@...

      On Apr 13, 2012, at 4:34 PM, Doug wrote:

      > Question: Do iPhone users normally have access to the directory in order to copy and paste map files? Or does the iPhone have to be "jailbreaked"?

    • Bill Fuhrmann
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 23 10:36 AM
        T-mobile has a pay monthly plan for $50 with unlimited phone, text, and web.
        100 meg at 4g speed, then it drops to 3g

        Walmart has their "family" plan for $45 with unlimited phone, text, and web
        but it is only 3g. They use the T-mobile network.

        Neither of those plans will work outside the US. You would need to get a
        new sim card for that.

        I went with the T-mobile plan because they had a sale of $100 less for the
        same phone and they would unlock it after 3 months, but that really doesn't
        matter to you.