Custom Waypoint Symbols

  • alberto_najera
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
      Hello all

      Is there a way to create custom waypoint symbols for Garmin devices and that could be seen in Mapsource as well? I am not meaning the custom POIs symbols with a TYP file.

      xImage used to allow for this but to my understanding was limited to the GPS device. xImage has not been updated since 2005 so I doubt it may be compatible with most of the current models.

      Thanks
    • Age Jan Stap
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2009
        --- In map_authors@yahoogroups.com, "alberto_najera" <alberto.najera@...> wrote:

        > Hello all
        >
        > Is there a way to create custom waypoint symbols for Garmin devices and that could be seen in Mapsource as well? I am not meaning the custom POIs symbols with a TYP file.
        >
        > xImage used to allow for this but to my understanding was limited to the GPS device. xImage has not been updated since 2005 so I doubt it may be compatible with most of the current models.
        >
        > Thanks

        xImage is just a little program that helps to upload and download a waypoint to and from your GPSr. The rest is up to you with programs like photoshop etc, Don't forget that a waypoint icon is just 16x16 pixels at 72 px/inch. Not very much you can do within that playing field!
      • pmcke
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
          --- In map_authors@yahoogroups.com, "alberto_najera" <alberto.najera@...> wrote:

          > Hello all
          >
          > Is there a way to create custom waypoint symbols for Garmin devices and that could be seen in Mapsource as well? I am not meaning the custom POIs symbols with a TYP file.
          >
          > xImage used to allow for this but to my understanding was limited to the GPS device. xImage has not been updated since 2005 so I doubt it may be compatible with most of the current models.
          >
          > Thanks

          Putting the custom waypoints into Mapsource is the easy bit. I don't have the program in front of me now but I think it was all in the Help. You need to put the .bmp files in a particular folder and they all need to be named in a particular way. That is all I think.

          There was a bug in one of the recent versions of Mapsource where all this broke down but it was fixed in the next release.
        • H. K. Sheth
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
            There is a small tutorial on the net somewhere on how to download one of the
            waypoints from the 60CSx and modify with images of choice. It includes great
            detail on what colours to use and what to avoid.

            <http://groups.google.co.in/groups/img/dot_clear.gif>
            http://freegeographytools.com/2008/creating-custom-waypoint-icons-for-garmin
            -gps-units-i