Re: [arts-poetry-humanities] The Devil's music?

  • Robbie Hatley
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2013
      On 8/10/2012 6:33 PM, Bruce Atchison wrote:

      > I used to be lectured by adults about the evils of rock music. They worried
      > it would lead me away from my Christian beliefs. One woman at church even
      > bought me a record of music for young people, thinking that would make me
      > stop listening to rock. Her plan backfired. I still listen to my favourites
      > from the sixties and seventies today. I wrote about this pathetic attempt to
      > save me from the "Devil's music" on the www.bruceatchison.blogspot.com page.

      Rock & Roll is the most anarchic of music genres, encompassing the good, the
      bad, the beautiful, the ugly. Some of it really is "demonic" (that is, evil).
      Much of it is stupid. Some of it is truly great.

      > By the way, I'm still a Christian.

      :-( My sincere condolences, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
      Just remember: think for yourself, reject all dogmas and script(ure)s,
      demand proof (or, at least, damn good evidence) for all assertions,
      and take things one day at a time. Just tell yourself each morning
      as you get up: "I will not faith TODAY. I will not take anything on
      authority TODAY. I will not believe anything just because I want to
      TODAY. I will not believe-in or pray-to any deities TODAY."
      Do that every day, and you'll be free from your illness in no time.

      --
      Cheers,
      Robbie Hatley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2013

        On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Robbie Hatley <jacobian.determinant@...> wrote:

        Rock & Roll is the most anarchic of music genres, encompassing the good, the
        bad, the beautiful, the ugly. Some of it really is "demonic" (that is, evil).

        Hm, what is the nature of "evil," in the written word?  Because I assume you mean the lyrics are evil, not the sounds.  I usually see evil as a matter action, not words.

        Much of it is stupid. Some of it is truly great.

        No argument there.

        Cheers,
        Brandon Van Every

      • Bruce Atchison - author
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
          There was a documentary on PBS in the early nineties about music. One point
          it did raise is that music effects the mood of the listeners. So it does do
          something to the listeners but not what certain supersticious folks warned
          it would do to me. BTW, I have that Nova special on VHS tape somewhere. I'll
          have to dig it out and digitize it.

          Sincerely,

          Bruce Atchison, author of How I Was Razed: A Journey from Cultism to
          Christianity. Available from www.store.virtualbookworm.com as well as Barnes
          & Noble and Amazon.com.