creating forum traffic

  • Brandon Van Every
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
      I notice that the Manuel Marino forums don't get any traffic.  How
      does one change that?  I'm not overly familiar with modern internet
      tools or traffic attraction techniques.  I don't have a RSS
      aggregator.  I don't tweet.  I'm a Facebook refusenik, as I think all
      they're trying to do is turn us all into a profit source, and they
      violate user privacy with impunity.  I've mostly been an email and web
      forum kind of guy.  I don't even have a blog, nor do I follow any
      blogs.  I Google an awful lot to find information on various things.
      I suppose I'm a bit behind the times.  Does anyone have ideas on how
      to increase website traffic?

      Cheers,
      Brandon Van Every
    • Brandon Van Every
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
        On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Michael Marcus <michael@...> wrote:
        > Brandon,
        >
        > I'm not really sure this is a problem.  Manuel
        > seems to have either lost interest in this form
        > of communication or has more pressing issues than
        > keeping it going.  Meanwhile, it *is* an open
        > forum for us to use.

        Is that fair? I don't assume it's trivial to drive traffic to a web forum.

        Cheers,
        Brandon Van Every
      • Michael Marcus
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
          Brandon,

          I'm not really sure this is a problem. Manuel
          seems to have either lost interest in this form
          of communication or has more pressing issues than
          keeping it going. Meanwhile, it *is* an open
          forum for us to use.

          --Michael

          On 10/13/2010 2:46 PM, Brandon Van Every wrote:

          > I notice that the Manuel Marino forums don't get any traffic. How
          > does one change that? I'm not overly familiar with modern internet
          > tools or traffic attraction techniques. I don't have a RSS
          > aggregator. I don't tweet. I'm a Facebook refusenik, as I think all
          > they're trying to do is turn us all into a profit source, and they
          > violate user privacy with impunity. I've mostly been an email and web
          > forum kind of guy. I don't even have a blog, nor do I follow any
          > blogs. I Google an awful lot to find information on various things.
          > I suppose I'm a bit behind the times. Does anyone have ideas on how
          > to increase website traffic?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Brandon Van Every

        • Michael Marcus
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
            Please don't get me wrong--I don't assume that it's
            trivial to drive traffic to a web forum (or anyplace
            else, for that matter). That said, I'm sure that
            doing the type of promotion he might have wanted via
            the YahooGroup may have been too time-consuming or
            have served his purpose at one time but does not
            continue to do so. Any understanding of the
            situation that I may have is only based on personal
            experience in similar endeavors.

            --Michael

            On 10/13/2010 3:45 PM, Brandon Van Every wrote:

            > Is that fair? I don't assume it's trivial to drive traffic to a web forum.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Brandon Van Every
          • Brandon Van Every
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
              On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Michael Marcus <michael@...> wrote:

              Please don't get me wrong--I don't assume that it's
              trivial to drive traffic to a web forum (or anyplace
              else, for that matter). That said, I'm sure that
              doing the type of promotion he might have wanted via
              the YahooGroup may have been too time-consuming or
              have served his purpose at one time but does not
              continue to do so. Any understanding of the
              situation that I may have is only based on personal
              experience in similar endeavors.

              Well I'll await his opinion of what he wants to do with his site, or with any arbitrary art site.  I notice that the blog still gets articles from time to time, the last one was in September, so clearly he hasn't abandoned all efforts.  I will note that having an external mailing list, a blog with user comments, and a web forum is a classical way to spread traffic too thin.

              Cheers,
              Brandon Van Every

            • Bruce Atchison - author
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
                Hi folks;

                I can't help but wonder if we're all just too busy with our creative work to
                use the forum. I know that my new book is taking up a lot of my time.
                Promotion is another time magnet. Perhaps people are just tired. I
                certainly feel that way. I hope Manuel's absence is only temporary.

                Sincerely,

                Bruce Atchison - author of When a Man Loves a Rabbit and Deliverance from
                Jericho.

                www.bruceatchison.blogspot.com
                www.bruceatchison.wordpress.com
              • Michael Marcus
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
                  Hi, Bruce!

                  Yes, that tends to be the case for me, personally.
                  BTW, how is that cover I did working out for you? :-)

                  --Michael

                  On 10/13/2010 9:57 PM, Bruce Atchison - author wrote:

                  > Hi folks;
                  >
                  > I can't help but wonder if we're all just too busy with our creative work to
                  > use the forum. I know that my new book is taking up a lot of my time.
                  > Promotion is another time magnet. Perhaps people are just tired. I
                  > certainly feel that way. I hope Manuel's absence is only temporary.
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  >
                  > Bruce Atchison - author of When a Man Loves a Rabbit and Deliverance from
                  > Jericho.
                  >
                  > www.bruceatchison.blogspot.com
                  > www.bruceatchison.wordpress.com

                • JoAnn Abbott
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010

                    Hey, looks like there is potential life in the ol forum yet!  What have you been up to since last  the chat was happening?  This of course is a set  up for me to post a bunch of links to music, songs, songwriting competitions and a few costumes which I have been busy with this year.

                    Let’s start with my two latest songs written for the “There’s no place like home” challenge for  the second SpinTunes competition.  The  goal was to write a song about your home town; I wrote two of them since I grew up on Long Island for 15 years but have lived here for the better part of the last twenty.  My serious, in competition song, “Not in Copiague”, with recently added cello by a friend can be heard here-  http://www.box.net/shared/gyl76bpija  My FAR sillier parody of Oklahoma, not in competition since the tune is not original to me, is located at my new BandCamp page http://menageatune.bandcamp.com/.  It is all about the joys of driving in northern Virginia…

                       To hear the original, accapella version of “Not In Copiague”, as well as the OTHER 31 songs in this round of the competition, go to http://spintunes.blogspot.com/ . Click on the big blue logo in the middle to go to where you can DL the whole album at a go for free.  Please don’t download individual songs, he only has so many free DL’s, and the whole album counts as one song, but you get 31 of them.  Oh, and if you like my song, feel free to vote for it on the right hand side of that first link page. :o)

                         There was a competition in August/September to write a theme song for a new comic book called “Skultar”, the winner of which will have his character cheerfully slaughtered in the first issue.  Sadly, I  did not win, and will have to stay alive.  It was a lot of fun though, and my song “The Ballad Of Skultar” is a bit like “A Boy Named Sue” meets “Convoy”.  Check out the White Elephant Music Club on Face Book at http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhiteElephantMusic .

                       Can’t get to a FaceBook page?  No sweat, the album (again, free to download) is at http://whiteelephantmusic.bandcamp.com/album/the-legend-of-skultar

                    Then there was an invitation only song cycle challenge.  8 people were asked to participate, and to come up with an idea for a challenge.  Names were drawn at random, and the first persons challenge went to the second person drawn, whose idea for a challenge was then given to the third person named.  The last persons challenge went to the first person on the list.  I was asked to write a song which would be fun for both adults and children to sing, and so was born the “ZYX Song”.  My idea was that there are 7 deadly sins-pick one and sing about it.  Bonus attaboys from me if you don’t mention the name of the sin within the song, but can convey it just in the lyrics.  Jenny Katz- who has a voice which I can only describe as “Honey on velvet” met the challenge beautifully and is now considering doing a song for each deadly sin.  The Cycle was created by Edric Haleen; you can read about it and find the link to the free album to download at http://happinessboard.com/Songwriting_Cycle.html

                    Not enough free music yet?  The FIRST Spintunes competition was earlier this summer, and all 4 rounds songs are available for free.  If you look to the left on the SpinTunes page you will see “The Albums” and a series of numbers- 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc.  Each is a link to a different round of the first series of challenges.  I made it for two rounds, then was eliminated but decided to “shadow”, to write songs  about the other challenges just for the fun of it.  After all, we don’t win anything beyond bragging rights with these, they are just for fun.  Maybe someday we will get sponsorship, for now it is a way to share music together.

                    Whew!  Enough music!  On to costuming!  And yes, I did make everything in these photos.

                    My 1776 patriots gown, front http://www.flickr.com/photos/calliopeva/5005840559/

                    Rear- http://www.flickr.com/photos/calliopeva/5005841251/in/photostream/

                    Steampunk Raccoon, aka “CalliCoon”  http://www.flickr.com/photos/calliopeva/4999035980/in/photostream/

                    First version of Callicoon http://www.flickr.com/photos/calliopeva/4775662497/in/photostream/  I have sine swapped for the  blue skirt, reworked the head a bit and added the hat- still trying to get the jaw to open and close properly.

                    Nanny Ogg at the first North American Discworld convention http://www.flickr.com/photos/calliopeva/3905229609/in/photostream/  there is a whole large section just for Discworld in case you are interested.

                    I won’t go into the creation of a new grand daughter to go along with my  2 ½ year old grandson, since my participation in that achievement is one generation removed :o) .

                    Your turn- what have you been doing?

                    JoAnn in VA

                    Oh, almost forgot- I was an extra as well as supplied a lot of the fantasy scene costumes for the family friendly movie  “The Fellows Hip” which is supposed to be available this fall/winter.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBhrPlPJYfs

                  • timplatt532@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 14, 2010
                      Thank you for posting your comment here.  The one point that immediately comes to mind for me when I read it is that while this group was set up by Manuel it is a shared resource where any and all members can reach out to share ideas and insight, and information resources.  Forum traffic for an online group is not necessarily about marketing though it can be.  It is pretty much always about sharing information and opinion, and in building the basis for conversations - and in helping us find people with shared interests for when we need to network out.

                      I happen to blog, but I do not tweet.  I do have a Facebook profile out there but I happen to prefer LinkedIn.  I add that our other online activities, if any should not be a litmus test for our participation here with this group.  The only real requirement that I can see as being relevant is that we all have interest in the arts, and see them as vitally important, and that we have ideas worth sharing that others would also find of interest.  So creating forum traffic is up to us, the members.  So I ask a question or two.

                      What do you see as the issues that would affect all of us and the Arts?
                      What resources do you know of that others may not know of but that others would value?
                      What would you share that is provocative and that would stir debate regarding the arts and/or their support?

                      (OK, I stretched one to two and then to three - consider that taking artistic licence.)

                      Thanks again for your shared posting here, and for prompting me to write to this group again too.

                      Tim Platt

                    • Brandon Van Every
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 14, 2010
                        On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM, <timplatt532@...> wrote:

                        What do you see as the issues that would affect all of us and the Arts?

                        Manuel Marino is one of the few online communities where I haven't managed to piss a lot of people off.  I think that's for a few reasons: 1) the quality of the members.  They have a genuine concern for the Arts and it's difficult to "get into it" with people that you feel are on "your side."  2) the person who set up the community.  Manuel is one of those "charming, knows / reaches out to a lot of people" types.  3) the size.  It's a small community, so we haven't had to face problems of scaling up.  4) we're not fighting for a particular cultural identity.  I remember in the Fremont Art Council in Seattle, people could get rather bitter and hostile about what they thought the FAC should be doing.  I could point to more recent experiences with various online communities, where somehow my ideas became threatening to the established community, and then people became nasty.

                        So, community formation in the Arts concerns me.  Art is always a difficult journey.  It easily becomes a lonely journey when you don't meet people that are sharing your life path, and have empathy for your life concerns.  The latter is problematic in the Arts because even if you meet other artists, they don't necessarily share values with you.  For instance, you might be an analytical intellectual building big abstract frameworks about life, the universe, and everything, and they might be sensory oriented "shut up and do your work" type people.  Many personality conflicts are possible in the Arts, much more so than I feel occur in computerdom.  Computer programmers are, relative to artists, almost a monoculture.  Sure they draw up their own battle lines about various things but they have more in common than not.  Also, although there are lone maverick computer programmers out there, the vast majority of programmers have experience working with others and understand the partly collective nature of their actions.  I may not like Microsoft, Linux, or MacOS, but I know that thousands of programmers are working on those pieces of software and that it's very difficult to produce a working computer from scratch.  Not impossible, but even if I undertake such, I recognize why my work is different from the mainstream of computerdom.  Another difference between large numbers of computer programmers and artists is that programmers often share code for free.  Artists generally expect to be paid for their work.  I'm not faulting the difference, I'm just noticing it.  Programmers generally make far more money than artists so they can often afford their generosity.

                        For me, one of the big problems of community formation is local stickiness.  I'd really like to get people to physically show up somewhere.  I think virtual communities suffer from a lack of empathy because we don't use all our modalities to communicate.  Of all the people that have gotten pissed at me, I really doubt they would have gotten pissed at me if we had had our debates in person.  First off, people are socially constrained about the amount of violence they can do in person.  It's generally not acceptable to "make a scene," yet this is what people do on the internet with impunity.  Second off, body language, eye contact, and tone of voice tend to ameliorate disagreements.  In the virtual realm, people tend to focus on the worst, rather than giving the benefit of the doubt or focusing on the best.  It is still possible to piss people off in person, particularly if alcohol is involved, but it's a lot harder.  It's possible to create a wildly dysfunctional organization, such as the FAC was, but I am more optimistic about the chances of healthy community development when people are face-to-face.  It also provides many benefits that cannot be realized remotely.

                        Of course, one problem of trying to get people to physically show up, is they have to physically show up.  I've attempted to start painting groups at various times; the last such effort was in Raleigh, NC using meetup.com as the organizational vehicle.  People didn't show up, and it's not the only meetup.com group in which this problem occurred.  Heh, driving out of your way to some martial arts practice where you end up with 0 people to beat on, that's rich.  :-)  Good intentions and even some good meetings earlier, but people are lazy and meetup.com is no kind of answer to that problem.  When acting as an organizer in the past, I've seen my job as nothing more than being "the 1 person who always shows up."  For an organization to have continuity, someone has to show up to ensure continuity.  That's probably a point worth considering in the virtual world as well.

                        What resources do you know of that others may not know of but that others would value?

                        I'm currently in Winston-Salem, NC again.  I'm trying to understand the local digital landscape.  I don't really understand it yet.  There is some stuff happening here, in particular the work of the Center For Design Innovation.  http://www.centerfordesigninnovation.org  The traditional Arts community in W-S is strong.  On the other hand, this is a small town that most people flee for greener pastures.  It is struggling with its post-tobacco and post-textile identity, trying to carve out of a new future for itself.  So I don't feel bad about my confusion because the locals are confused too.

                        I was in Raleigh, NC for over a year but I didn't get out in digital circles very much.  It was there, as Raleigh is the tech hub of the region, but I didn't know what I wanted out of it, so I didn't make much effort.  I proved that 15 months of sitting in the burbs will not magically get one a lot of life contacts or opportunities.  I was bored so I left.

                        So, I wish I could tell you all about what's going on in North Carolina, but I'm still figuring it out.  I'm trying to decide whether I should leave, and whether I should fish my stuff out of storage in Seattle.

                        What would you share that is provocative and that would stir debate regarding the arts and/or their support?

                        (OK, I stretched one to two and then to three - consider that taking artistic licence.)

                        Consider my reply stretched.  :-)

                        Cheers,
                        Brandon Van Every