In defense of art: creative expression and its challenges

  • timplatt532
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2010
      I have been running an occasional series on art, social networking and society in my blog at: http://plattperspective.wordpress.com/social-networking-and-the-arts/ and have seen a slow but steady page count for people coming to read postings there. I added this series because I see it as touching on a very important subject but this has been more of a side issue for my blog in many respects. Then I got a request for an interview from a web site-based organization and as part of that I was emailed seven questions and statements for me to respond to. The seven topic areas I was sent had a very disturbing bent, along with not being proof-read before being sent out to me and I decided I had to respond to one of them – the first "question" as a blog posting.

      I will simply add that I have lived under a third world military dictatorship for a year when working out of the United States as a wildlife biologist as a young man and I still remember lessons learned from that. My posting to the challenge implicit in these questions and statements can be found at:
      http://plattperspective.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/in-defense-of-art-creative-expression-and-its-challenges/
      and I invite your comments and thoughts.

      Art and the creative spirit that drives it offers tremendous value but at the same time art needs to be protected and artists need this too. I wrote this posting to draw a sharp distinction between art and propaganda, and to offer at least some thoughts as to how the two may on occasion blur, but at what costs.

      Tim Platt

      Timothy Platt, Ph.D.
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/timothyplatt
      Blog: http://plattperspective.wordpress.com
    • JoAnn Abbott
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2010

        An interesting article; I have found art as propaganda to  encompass everything from the worst examples of so called  “art” to pieces of great beauty.  To me, art is there to elicit an emotion and to cause people to want to form an opinion.  Sometimes the artist has a specific goal in mind, sometimes she just creates something like an emotion on paper and hopes to connect with other humans.  Knowing that there is probably a message within the piece helps you to understand the artist, their environment and to avoid being unconsciously manipulated.

        JoAnn

        Ps Leni Reifenstahl was a woman- you might want to swap that pronoun from “his “ to “her”