Laurel Massé at Birdland

  • Laurel Masse
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
      Hello everyone -
      I hope you are all well as summer moves into fall here. I have just
      finished working with Janis and Lauren Kinhan (of New York Voices) on a
      new CD Janis has produced for the great guitarist Frank VIgnola. It is
      a wonderful collection of Johnny Mercer songs, and our trio, Jalala,
      did all the vocals. It was pure bliss!

      I am going to be performing at Birdland in New York city this coming
      Monday night, Spetember 15th, at 7 PM. Some of you may remember that
      Moxie (Janis, Cheryl, and I) had two great nights there a few years
      ago, and I know that some of you were there! This will be my solo debut
      at that club, and I am looking forward to it very much. Had a great
      rehearsal with my rhythm section (Tex Arnold on piano, Dave Finck on
      bass, and Rich De Rosa on drums), and am very happy with how all the
      new songs are working out.

      So I hope to see some of you there (Birdland's phone # is
      212/581-3080), and if you can't make it, please wish me well. Your
      continuing support always warms my heart.
      Blessings -
      Laurel
      "She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything" Vincenzo Bellini
      Laurel Massé
      Read my blogs: www.laurelmasse.typepad.com

      www.laurelmasse.typepad.com/_the_songbird_salon/
      Visit my website: www.laurelmasse.com

    • Brian Raiche
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
        Great!! I'm seeing NY Voices tonight in Boston and Manhattan Transfer tomorrow at Moheghan Sun. Laurel in NYC on Monday would be perfect!! Not sure I can get there but you never know!!

        Brian

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
          That would be an amazing triple play! If you do make it, be sure to say
          hello!

        • vanityman@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
            i'll be there!

            *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

            Gary Armstrong

            Chief Marketing Officer

            Wenner Media

            Rolling Stone * Us Weekly * Men's Journal

            Rollingstone.com  * Usmagazine.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
              Thank you!

              On Sep 12, 2008, at 1:00 PM, vanityman@... wrote:

              > i'll be there!

              > *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
              >
              > Gary Armstrong
              >
              > Chief Marketing Officer
              >
              > Wenner Media
              >
              > Rolling Stone * Us Weekly * Men's Journal
              >
              > Rollingstone.com  * Usmagazine.com

            • markd1014
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
                I will be there as well. I've moved to "the New York area" - to put
                it less delicately, Jersey - and I look forward to supporting all of
                your projects in the city.

                Mark

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
                  Thank you very much, Mark.

                  On Sep 12, 2008, at 5:36 PM, markd1014 wrote:

                  > I will be there as well. I've moved to "the New York area" - to put
                  > it less delicately, Jersey - and I look forward to supporting all of
                  > your projects in the city.
                  >
                  > Mark
                  >
                  > --- In mantran@yahoogroups.com, Laurel Masse <Laurel@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thank you!
                  > > Laurel
                  > > "She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything" Vincenzo
                  > Bellini
                  > > Laurel Massé
                  > > Read my blogs: www.laurelmasse.typepad.com
                  > >
                  > > www.laurelmasse.typepad.com/_the_songbird_salon/
                  > > Visit my website: www.laurelmasse.com
                  > > On Sep 12, 2008, at 1:00 PM, vanityman@... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > i'll be there!

                  > > > *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
                  > > >
                  > > > Gary Armstrong
                  > > >
                  > > > Chief Marketing Officer
                  > > >
                  > > > Wenner Media
                  > > >
                  > > > Rolling Stone * Us Weekly * Men's Journal
                  > > >
                  > > > Rollingstone.com  * Usmagazine.com

                • Rachel Freedman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
                    Laurel, I will be one of the people (who can not attend) wishing you well at
                    Birdland!

                    How does it change your show having 3 musicians with you instead of a more
                    intimate setting of you & a piano player?

                    I am so excited about the Johnny Mercer collaboration CD. Does it come out
                    soon? Please message the group & to let us know when we can pre-order it!!!
                    Is it too early TODAY : )

                    Thanks for keeping us informed!
                    Rachel

                    On 9/12/08 12:39 PM, "Laurel Masse" <Laurel@...> wrote:

                    > Hello everyone -
                    > I hope you are all well as summer moves into fall here. I have just
                    > finished working with Janis and Lauren Kinhan (of New York Voices) on a
                    > new CD Janis has produced for the great guitarist Frank VIgnola. It is
                    > a wonderful collection of Johnny Mercer songs, and our trio, Jalala,
                    > did all the vocals. It was pure bliss!
                    >
                    > I am going to be performing at Birdland in New York city this coming
                    > Monday night, Spetember 15th, at 7 PM. Some of you may remember that
                    > Moxie (Janis, Cheryl, and I) had two great nights there a few years
                    > ago, and I know that some of you were there! This will be my solo debut
                    > at that club, and I am looking forward to it very much. Had a great
                    > rehearsal with my rhythm section (Tex Arnold on piano, Dave Finck on
                    > bass, and Rich De Rosa on drums), and am very happy with how all the
                    > new songs are working out.
                    >
                    > So I hope to see some of you there (Birdland's phone # is
                    > 212/581-3080), and if you can't make it, please wish me well. Your
                    > continuing support always warms my heart.
                    > Blessings -
                    > Laurel
                    > "She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything" Vincenzo Bellini
                    > Laurel Massé

                  • Laurel Masse
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 12, 2008
                      Thanks for your good wishes, Rachel, and for your great question.
                      Generally, I find that the more instruments I add, the less freedom I
                      have, because the sonic space gets filled. When I sing a capella or
                      with just a piano, I have complete freedom in how I approach the songs,
                      which is a very expansive feeling. But - I sometimes wish the audience
                      could hear all the textures I am hearing in my head. In contrast,
                      singing with a big band is like being strapped to the front of a train,
                      rocketing down the tracks with tremendous power behind me, which is
                      exhilarating. But I don't have much choice about where we're going. I
                      can't respond to a sudden inspiration to change the time signature or
                      the key, or the ending of a tune. Working with a trio is, in a way, the
                      best of all possible situations. It allows me to bring more textures
                      and sonic colors to the interpretation of the songs. Yet at the same
                      time, there are not so many instruments that all the sonic space is
                      filled, and a trio - the right trio - can be agile and responsive when
                      the muse suggests something new. Of course, that depends entirely on
                      the skills and sensitivity of the musicians one is working with, and in
                      those regards I am very lucky. Tex, Dave, and Rich are all masters of
                      their craft, and they play together beautifully.

                      I don't know when the Mercer project is being released, but I will
                      definitely pass that news along to you all as soon as I have it. Janis
                      has done a splendid job as producer, and the CD is going to be
                      terrific.

                    • khp38120@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 13, 2008
                        I enjoyed Laurel's comments about different performance configurations.   It reminds me of what I have read about Erroll Garner:  Garner didn't read music, and it is said he never played a song the same way twice.  In his concerts, he would extemporize freely, then break into a melody in whatever key he happened to be in.  His bandmates had to be ready to pick up on what song was being played and in what key and join in seamlessly-- and on most of his live recordings, they do!  If you're a sideman it probably makes life much more fun and interesting, but you sure have to have the chops!

                        Keith

                        Thanks for your good wishes, Rachel, and for your great question.
                        Generally, I find that the more instruments I add, the less freedom I
                        have, because the sonic space gets filled. When I sing a capella or
                        with just a piano, I have complete freedom in how I approach the songs,
                        which is a very expansive feeling. But - I sometimes wish the audience
                        could hear all the textures I am hearing in my head. In contrast,
                        singing with a big band is like being strapped to the front of a train,
                        rocketing down the tracks with tremendous power behind me, which is
                        exhilarating. But I don't have much choice about where we're going. I
                        can't respond to a sudden inspiration to change=2
                        0the time signature or

                        rel Massé

                      • gary armstrong
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 14, 2008
                          anyone have other details?

                          35th Anniversary Great American Songbook
                          Starring: Manhattan Transfer Director: not specified
                          No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
                          Price: $9.99 & eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime

                          Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.
                          This title will be released on November 11, 2008.

                          > .

                        • Brian Raiche
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 15, 2008
                            Over the weekend I had a chance to see TMT at Mohegan Sun, CT. Saw them
                            there last year as well.

                            Cheryl looks fantastic! Lean and mean!

                            They opened with Birdland and encored with That Cat is High. 1st time I
                            didn't hear Operator at a show! The show was retrospective, encompassing
                            something from every major recording. The highlight for me was Airegin. They
                            were flawless. Don't get to hear that one very often.

                            I attended with some friends from High School/College. Our 1st TMT concert
                            was our freshman year in college- 1985 Vocalese concert on the Boston
                            Commons. Hard to believe that was almost 25 years ago!

                            Anyway, this was a great show!

                            -Brian

                          • gary armstrong
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 15, 2008
                              what a crappy day i had!

                              the news
                              the stock market
                              everyone around me seemed to be in a terrible mood

                              i was running late but made it to birdland 15 mins before miss masse
                              hit the stage

                              and all was well with the world

                              such a reprieve from the ugly in today right now

                              beautiful voice, charming the audience and man--what composure!

                              highlights for me where the chris thile cover (sang with more of a
                              stance than i've seen her deliver in the past), i'm old fashioned and
                              her crazy medley (but laurel: where was crazy??)

                              thank you thank you

                              best
                              gary

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 16, 2008
                                I had an even worse day because I had to cancel my reservation for
                                the show, but I'm glad it went well and I will make the next one

                                Mark

                                --- In mantran@yahoogroups.com, gary armstrong <vanityman@...> wrote:

                                > what a crappy day i had!
                                >
                                > the news
                                > the stock market
                                > everyone around me seemed to be in a terrible mood
                                >
                                > i was running late but made it to birdland 15 mins before miss
                                masse
                                > hit the stage
                                >
                                > and all was well with the world
                                >
                                > such a reprieve from the ugly in today right now
                                >
                                > beautiful voice, charming the audience and man--what composure!
                                >
                                > highlights for me where the chris thile cover (sang with more of a
                                > stance than i've seen her deliver in the past), i'm old fashioned
                                and
                                > her crazy medley (but laurel: where was crazy??)
                                >
                                > thank you thank you
                                >
                                > best
                                > gary
                                >

                                > On Sep 12, 2008, at 9:39 AM, Laurel Masse wrote:
                                >
                                > > Hello everyone -
                                > > I hope you are all well as summer moves into fall here. I have
                                just
                                > > finished working with Janis and Lauren Kinhan (of New York
                                Voices)
                                > > on a
                                > > new CD Janis has produced for the great guitarist Frank VIgnola.
                                It is
                                > > a wonderful collection of Johnny Mercer songs, and our trio,
                                Jalala,
                                > > did all the vocals. It was pure bliss!
                                > >
                                > > I am going to be performing at Birdland in New York city this
                                coming
                                > > Monday night, Spetember 15th, at 7 PM. Some of you may remember
                                that
                                > > Moxie (Janis, Cheryl, and I) had two great nights there a few
                                years
                                > > ago, and I know that some of you were there! This will be my
                                solo
                                > > debut
                                > > at that club, and I am looking forward to it very much. Had a
                                great
                                > > rehearsal with my rhythm section (Tex Arnold on piano, Dave Finck
                                on
                                > > bass, and Rich De Rosa on drums), and am very happy with how all
                                the
                                > > new songs are working out.
                                > >
                                > > So I hope to see some of you there (Birdland's phone # is
                                > > 212/581-3080), and if you can't make it, please wish me well. Your
                                > > continuing support always warms my heart.
                                > > Blessings -
                                > > Laurel
                                > > "She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything" Vincenzo
                                Bellini
                                > > Laurel Massé
                                > > Read my blogs: www.laurelmasse.typepad.com
                                > >
                                > > www.laurelmasse.typepad.com/_the_songbird_salon/