Re: [ManTran] A not-so-great review of "Book Of Love"

  • khp38120@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
      Tobias,

      I have not heard "Book of Love" yet (I'm getting it as a Christmas present), but I know I tend to have mixed feelings about Cheryl's solo work. On the one hand, her work is incredibly poised and polished-- few singers can deliver what she can so consistently. Yet I find her albums relatively conservative and very confined to the mainstream. When will she challenge herself to go right to the edge of her capabilities? I never get the feeling that she is holding back in the Manhattan Transfer's work, but her solo stuff almost sounds like she can toss it off while she's multi-tasking. I know many of the folks on this list are not fond of the track "So You Say," but until she does an album that matches the edginess and intensity of that performance, I will consider it her best so vocal work. Of course, the conservative music industry of today might not pick up such an album . . . .

      Keith

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi all...........I haven't heard "Book Of Love" yet either, so I can't compare it to "So You Say" (the track from "Brasil", yes?), but I like "So You Say" a lot. She stretched herself immensely on that one, I thought--------------she has reiterated that she's not a "pop" singer, but I heard what must have been some Streisand/Sheena Easton influence on that number. She hasn't really done anything like that since, has she? I won't compare her to Janis, but those two voices that can unite in a wonderful blend are vastly different as lead vocals. How much edgier can Cheryl get, and would she ever? I think her solo work is for the fans......

        khp38120@... wrote: Tobias,