NEWS From Steve Haas

  • Tobias Reid
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hello All,

      Hope EVERYONE here had a wonderful and safe holiday.

      I just checked out Steve Hass' site and here is what he said
      about MT's next recording....

      "...On the recording scene there have been a few releases listed
      above. I will be recording with producer Ken Wallace for Ian
      London Productions once again this month. Iíll keep you posted
      on the project and itís anticipated release. Between concerts,
      The Manhattan Transfer has asked me to play on their latest
      project which is a symphony album. Iím not sure of the repertoire
      quite yet but I know it will include such hits as Birdland and The
      Offbeat Of Avenues."

      Check it out at:

      http://stevehass.net/news.html

      Cheers and Happy New Year!
      Tobias
    • Springer,James C.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
        > From: Tobias Reid
        >
        > "...On the recording scene there have been a few releases listed
        > above. I will be recording with producer Ken Wallace for Ian
        > London Productions once again this month. Iíll keep you posted
        > on the project and itís anticipated release. Between concerts,
        > The Manhattan Transfer has asked me to play on their latest
        > project which is a symphony album. Iím not sure of the repertoire
        > quite yet but I know it will include such hits as Birdland and The
        > Offbeat Of Avenues."

        Tobias/All,

        Eeks. Though I normally would look forward to a new release, a "symphonic treatment" of Birdland and Offbeat just doesn't do it for me. In fact, can't really picture these pieces with a symphony, let alone the fact that it's stuff they done before.

        Personally, the symphony part doesn't bother me ... But I would think they'd pick different material for it.

        So, what are other people's opinions on this? I find it rare for myself to not get excited about something new from the group, but I find myself in that position now. Hopefully the other material chosen will reflect better in a symphony setting.

        Wishing everyone a good and happy New Years.

        Jim

        E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the
        addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the
        intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
        immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you
        are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
        storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
      • don bowman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          Folks.......I think it'll be interesting to see what material they do with a symphony. Remember, they were on the Evening at Pops twenty years ago, with the Boston Symphony, where they did "Birdland", and other pieces, with the orchestra. And as for "Offbeat"-----let 'em go for it...........if not that piece, maybe something else off that album...."Sassy", maybe. And didn't they do shows with various symphonies in Australia, where they toured last August? Let's see what they come up with...........Happy New Year!.............Don from San Diego

          "Springer,James C." <james.springer@...> wrote:
          > From: Tobias Reid
          >
          > "...On the recording scene there have been a few releases listed
          > above. I will be recording with producer Ken Wallace for Ian
          > London Productions once again this month. Iíll keep you posted
          > on the project and itís anticipated release. Between concerts,
          > The Manhattan Transfer has asked me to play on their latest
          > project which is a symphony album. Iím not sure of the repertoire
          > quite yet but I know it will include such hits as Birdland and The
          > Offbeat Of Avenues."

          Tobias/All,

          Eeks. Though I normally would look forward to a new release, a "symphonic treatment" of Birdland and Offbeat just doesn't do it for me. In fact, can't really picture these pieces with a symphony, let alone the fact that it's stuff they done before.

          Personally, the symphony part doesn't bother me ... But I would think they'd pick different material for it.

          So, what are other people's opinions on this? I find it rare for myself to not get excited about something new from the group, but I find myself in that position now. Hopefully the other material chosen will reflect better in a symphony setting.

          Wishing everyone a good and happy New Years.

          Jim

          E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the
          addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the
          intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
          immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you
          are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or
          storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.

          Jazz music Genres of music Music genres List of music genres

          ---------------------------------

        • Tobias Reid
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            Hi All,

            Well, I have to admit being somewhat surprised by this
            news as well. Re-recording classic MT tunes with a
            symphony? Hmm? However, a thing to remember is that
            all Steve wrote was, "The Manhattan Transfer has
            asked me to play ontheir latest project which is a
            symphony album." This may not even be the group's
            album...perhaps it's like when MT re-recorded tunes on
            the Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops Orchestra's album,
            "Got Swing". Hope we'll get more detailed
            information about this "latest project."

            Cheers,
            Tobias

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com
          • don bowman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
              Hi all.....now I'm starting to wonder.............are they recording new tunes with a symphony, or is this a live album performing with a symphony, which would be a first for them................I guess we'll find out soon.....................Don from San Diego

              Tobias Reid <tobiasreid@...> wrote: Hi All,

> [...]

              > something new from the group, but I find myself in
              > that position now. Hopefully the other material
              > chosen will reflect better in a symphony setting.
              >
              > Wishing everyone a good and happy New Years.
              >
              > Jim
              >

              > E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this
              > e-mail message and any attachments are intended
              > solely for the
              > addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or
              > legally privileged information. If you are not the
              > intended recipient of this message or if this
              > message has been addressed to you in error, please
              > immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and
              > then delete this message and any attachments. If you
              >
              > are not the intended recipient, you are notified
              > that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,
              > or
              > storage of this message or any attachment is

              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
              dsl.yahoo.com

              Jazz music Genres of music Music genres List of music genres

              ---------------------------------

            • James Passantino
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
                I heard from Tim Hauser in early December and he informed me they were going into the studio to record the symphony tracks so this will be a studio recording, not a "live" performance. He did not mention the songs.

                don bowman <donaldlbowman@...> wrote: Hi all.....now I'm starting to wonder.............are they recording new tunes with a symphony, or is this a live album performing with a symphony, which would be a first for them................I guess we'll find out soon.....................Don from San Diego

> [...]

                > something new from the group, but I find myself in
                > that position now. Hopefully the other material
                > chosen will reflect better in a symphony setting.
                >
                > Wishing everyone a good and happy New Years.
                >
                > Jim
                >

                > E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this
                > e-mail message and any attachments are intended
                > solely for the
                > addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or
                > legally privileged information. If you are not the
                > intended recipient of this message or if this
                > message has been addressed to you in error, please
                > immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and
                > then delete this message and any attachments. If you
                >
                > are not the intended recipient, you are notified
                > that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,
                > or
                > storage of this message or any attachment is

                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                dsl.yahoo.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
                  > From: James Passantino
                  >
                  > I heard from Tim Hauser in early December and he informed me
                  > they were going into the studio to record the symphony tracks
                  > so this will be a studio recording, not a "live" performance.
                  > He did not mention the songs.

                  > > Tobias Reid <tobiasreid@...> wrote: Hi All,

                  > > Well, I have to admit being somewhat surprised by this
                  > > news as well. Re-recording classic MT tunes with a
                  > > symphony? Hmm? However, a thing to remember is that
                  > > all Steve wrote was, "The Manhattan Transfer has
                  > > asked me to play ontheir latest project which is a
                  > > symphony album." This may not even be the group's
                  > > album...perhaps it's like when MT re-recorded tunes on
                  > > the Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops Orchestra's album,
                  > > "Got Swing". Hope we'll get more detailed
                  > > information about this "latest project."

                  Gee, I forgot about the Pops album. I must admit they had some good
                  tracks on this, so maybe there is hope after all :) I still would
                  prefer new material over stuff that has been done before. And I still
                  can't quite see how Offbeat would work with a symphony, but the Pops
                  example is definitely a good mark for them.

                  Take care all.