Album of the Month: "Pastiche"

  • John J. O'Neill
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2 9:21 AM
      Let's try something new. . .

      Below is the "ALBUM OF THE MONTH" for August, 1999:

      "Pastiche"
      1978
      Produced by: Tim Hauser & Steve Barri
      Associate Producer: Janis Seigel

      Possible topics of conversation:
      ~ selection of songs
      ~ what works/what doesn't
      ~ standout tracks
      ~ the related publicity tour
      ~ personal stories
      ~ how it compares to the rest of the MT catalog

      The tracks (as if you folks couldn't rattle 'em off by heart):
      1. Four Brothers (Jimmy Giuffre & Jon Hendricks)
      2. Gal in Calico (Leo Robin/Arthur Schwartz)
      3. Love for Sale (Cole Porter)
      4. Je Voulais (Te Dire Que Je T'Attends) (M. Jonasz/P. Grosz)
      5. On a Little Street in Singapore (Peter DeRose/Billy Hill)
      6. In a Mellow Tone Duke (Ellington/Milt Gabler)
      7. Walk in Love (David Batteau/John Klemmer)
      8. Who, What, When, Where, Why (Rupert Holmes)
      9. It's Not the Spotlight (Gerry Goffin/Barry Goldberg)
      10. Pieces of Dreams (Dick Addrisi/Don Addrisi)
      11. Where Did Our Love Go (Eddie Holland/Lamont Dozier/Brian Holland)
    • Springer,James C.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3 8:32 AM
        > "Pastiche" 1978
        > Produced by: Tim Hauser & Steve Barri > Associate Producer: Janis Seigel
        >
        > The tracks (as if you folks couldn't rattle 'em off by heart):
        > 1. Four Brothers (Jimmy Giuffre & Jon Hendricks)
        > 2. Gal in Calico (Leo Robin/Arthur Schwartz)
        > 3. Love for Sale (Cole Porter)
        > 4. Je Voulais (Te Dire Que Je T'Attends) (M. Jonasz/P. Grosz)
        > 5. On a Little Street in Singapore (Peter DeRose/Billy Hill)
        > 6. In a Mellow Tone Duke (Ellington/Milt Gabler)
        > 7. Walk in Love (David Batteau/John Klemmer)
        > 8. Who, What, When, Where, Why (Rupert Holmes)
        > 9. It's Not the Spotlight (Gerry Goffin/Barry Goldberg)
        > 10. Pieces of Dreams (Dick Addrisi/Don Addrisi)
        > 11. Where Did Our Love Go (Eddie Holland/Lamont Dozier/Brian Holland)

        OK, I'll give it a go to start out here. First off, John, you must be
        reading the old LP ... the CD contains one extra track, Single Girl ...
        definitely the weakest track of all, IMHO, of course <g>. John, you are the
        "thought-meister" here. I like this idea, Album of the month. Hopefully it
        will generate some good discussion ... plus with it being a monthly, gives
        us more time to respond <g>.

        I'm particularly fond of this album because this is what started me on MT
        (as mentioned in my "bio", it was a cut-out bin "sampler" for myself.) The
        largest flaw I guess I would point out would be that this is more a "solo"
        collection with backup vocals by the group. You have exceptions, but
        primarily you can easily point out, for example, Je Voulais and Walk In Love
        are Laurel pieces, In A Mellow Tone, It's Not The Spotlight are Janis, etc.

        With that said, I really enjoy this album and glad you had me pull it out
        John <g>. Janis really nails In A Mellow Tone. Four Brothers becoming a
        great "staple" of the group and one of the earlier numbers where the group
        harmonizes and trades off each other greatly (You Can Depend On Me being an
        earlier example.) The steel guitar work on Love For Sail foreshadowing some
        of the Swing album forays. Someone awhile ago mentioned how Alan could have
        been a great "crooner" from the 40's or 50's and he shows that in A Gal In
        Calico.

        Also interesting is this album kind of became a quasi-format of theirs. Back
        in the old vinyl days (you got some vinyl, right Tasha <g>), this album was
        split with the jazz/nostalgia pieces on the first side and the pop stuff on
        the second side. They continued that tradition later with Bodies & Souls and
        Bop Doo Wopp.

        All in all I really enjoy this one. I realize the pop-side tends to get
        lambasted a bit ... but for those that don't like it, I'd like to know what
        it is they don't like. And for those couple of Laurel fans out there, she
        shines in the tunes I mentioned above. And I'll have to listen again, but it
        seems Tim is least represented on this collection with his one solo piece
        being Pieces of Dreams.

        I might add more as I see other people post, but I thought I'd give it a
        shot now.

        Jim