Re: [ManTran] TMT SONG TOURNAMENT - ROUND 2A

  • Stacy Owens
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2, 2004
      ROUND 2A

      1. You Can Depend On Me (The Manhattan Transfer) vs. The Zoo Blues
      (Brasil)

      You Can Depend On Me (The Manhattan Transfer)

      2. The Night That Monk Returned To Heaven (Bodies And Souls) vs.
      Mystery (Bodies And Souls)

      The Night That Monk Returned To Heaven (Bodies And Souls)

      3. Move (Vocalese) vs. Blue Champagne (The Manhattan Transfer)

      Move (Vocalese)

      4. Operator (The Manhattan Transfer) vs. (The Word Of) Confirmation
      (Mecca For Moderns)

      Operator (The Manhattan Transfer)

      5. Four Brothers (Pastiche) vs. Popsicle Toes (Coming Out)

      Four Brothers (Pastiche)

      6. Jeannine (Bop Doo-Wop) vs. It's Not The Spotlight (Pastiche)

      Jeannine (Bop Doo-Wop)

      7. Sing A Study In Brown (Swing) vs. Trickle Trickle (Extensions)

      Sing A Study In Brown (Swing)

      8. Twilight Zone/Twilight Tone (Extensions) vs. Chanson D'Amour
      (Coming Out)

      Twilight Zone/Twilight Tone (Extensions)

      9. To You (Vocalese) vs. Je Voulais (Pastiche)

      To You (Vocalese)

      10. The Offbeat Of Avenues (The Offbeat Of Avenues) vs. The Thrill
      Is Gone (Tonin')

      The Offbeat Of Avenues (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

      11. Ray's Rockhouse (Vocalese) vs. Do You Know What It Means To Miss
      New Orleans (The Spirit of St. Louis)

      Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans (The Spirit of St. Louis)

      12. Choo Choo Ch' Boogie (Swing) vs. 10 Minutes Till The Savages
      Come (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

      Choo Choo Ch' Boogie (Swing)

      13. Birdland (Extensions) vs. Confide In Me (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

      Birdland (Extensions)

      14. Agua (Brasil) vs. Sweet Talking Guy (The Manhattan Transfer)

      Sweet Talking Guy (The Manhattan Transfer)

      15. Sassy (The Offbeat Of Avenues) vs. The Quietude (Encuentro De
      Animales) (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

      Sassy (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

      16. Airegin (Vocalese) vs. My Cat Fell In The Well (Bop Doo-Wop)

      Airegin (Vocalese)

    • khp38120@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2, 2004
        ROUND 2A (My picks in ALL CAPS)

        1. YOU CAN DEPEND ON ME (THE MANHATTAN TRANSFER) vs. The Zoo Blues
        (Brasil)

        A tough one right out of the box, one that required multiple listens. In the end, this is a vote for Zoot Sims and the fantastic job Janis does of mimicking his tenor sound.

        2. THE NIGHT THAT MONK RETURNED TO HEAVEN (BODIES AND SOULS) vs.
        Mystery (Bodies And Souls)

        3. MOVE (VOCALESE) vs. Blue Champagne (The Manhattan Transfer)

        4. Operator (The Manhattan Transfer) vs. (THE WORD OF) CONFIRMATION
        (MECCA FOR MODERNS)

        My personal thanks to everyone who voted Confirmation into the second round while I was on the road . . . let’s do it again! It still leaves me mesmerized after all these years: great chart, great harmonization, and unbelievable work by Richie Cole and Jon Hendricks.

        5. FOUR BROTHERS (PASTICHE) vs. Popsicle Toes (Coming Out)

        6. JEANNINE (BOP DOO-WOP) vs. It's Not The Spotlight (Pastiche)

        If one Eddie Jefferson vocalese is good, then two are even better!

        7. Sing A Study In Brown (Swing) vs. TRICKLE TRICKLE (EXTENSIONS)

        I actually had already highlighted A Study in Brown, but caved in during the head-to-head listen. Tired of Trickle, Trickle? Not the original recording—- it still knocks me out.

        8. TWILIGHT ZONE/TWILIGHT TONE (EXTENSIONS) vs. Chanson D'Amour
        (Coming Out)

        Another matchup requiring multi-listening. As often happens on my ballot, it’s the guest artists that swing my vote. Toto was just one of the tightest groups of studio musicians ever assembled. A tip of the hat to Jay Graydon as well.

        9. TO YOU (VOCALESE) vs. Je Voulais (Pastiche)

        10. THE OFFBEAT OF AVENUES (THE OFFBEAT OF AVENUES) vs. The Thrill
        Is Gone (Tonin')

        11. RAY'S ROCKHOUSE (VOCALESE) vs. Do You Know What It Means To Miss
        New Orleans (The Spirit of St. Louis)

        I probably say this every time, but Rockhouse is so great in concert I just can’t listen to it without conjuring up the live image.

        12. CHOO CHOO CH' BOOGIE (SWING) vs. 10 Minutes Till The Savages
        Come (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

        Another song where the concert energy pulls in my vote.

        13. BIRDLAND (EXTENSIONS) vs. Confide In Me (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

        14. Agua (Brasil) vs. SWEET TALKING GUY (THE MANHATTAN TRANSFER)

        15. SASSY (THE OFFBEAT OF AVENUES) vs. The Quietude (Encuentro De
        Animales) (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

        16. AIREGIN (VOCALESE) vs. My Cat Fell In The Well (Bop Doo-Wop)

        --Keith
      • Daniel Kramer
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 3, 2004
          Choices are in caps. Take care all.

          Daniel
          - - - - -

          ROUND 2A

          1. YOU CAN DEPEND ON ME (The Manhattan Transfer) vs. The Zoo Blues
          (Brasil)

          2. The Night That Monk Returned To Heaven (Bodies And Souls) vs.
          MYSTERY (Bodies And Souls)

          3. MOVE (Vocalese) vs. Blue Champagne (The Manhattan Transfer)

          4. OPERATOR (The Manhattan Transfer) vs. (The Word Of) Confirmation
          (Mecca For Moderns)

          5. FOUR BROTHERS (Pastiche) vs. Popsicle Toes (Coming Out)

          6. JEANNINE (Bop Doo-Wop) vs. It's Not The Spotlight (Pastiche)

          7. Sing A Study In Brown (Swing) vs. TRICKLE TRICKLE (Extensions)

          8. TWILIGHT (Extensions) vs. Chanson D'Amour
          (Coming Out): Still shocked Janis is on lead in Chanson!

          9. TO YOU (Vocalese) vs. Je Voulais (Pastiche)

          10. THE OFFBEAT OF AVENUES (The Offbeat Of Avenues) vs. The Thrill
          Is Gone (Tonin')

          11. RAY'S ROCKHOUSE (Vocalese) vs. Do You Know What It Means To Miss
          New Orleans (The Spirit of St. Louis)

          12. Choo Choo Ch' Boogie (Swing) vs. 10 MINUTES TIL THE SAVAGES COME (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

          13. BIRDLAND (Extensions) vs. Confide In Me (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

          14. Agua (Brasil) vs. SWEET TALKING GUY (The Manhattan Transfer)

          15. SASSY (The Offbeat Of Avenues) vs. The Quietude (Encuentro De
          Animales) (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

          16. AIREGIN (Vocalese) vs. My Cat Fell In The Well (Bop Doo-Wop)

          -

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 3, 2004
            ROUND 2A (My picks in ALL CAPS)

            1. YOU CAN DEPEND ON ME (THE MANHATTAN TRANSFER) vs.

            2. Mystery (Bodies And Souls)

            3. MOVE (VOCALESE)

            4. Operator (The Manhattan Transfer)

            5. FOUR BROTHERS (PASTICHE)

            6. JEANNINE (BOP DOO-WOP)

            7. TRICKLE TRICKLE (EXTENSIONS)

            8. Chanson D'Amour
            (Coming Out)

            9. TO YOU (VOCALESE)

            10. THE OFFBEAT OF AVENUES (THE OFFBEAT OF AVENUES)

            11. RAY'S ROCKHOUSE (VOCALESE)

            12. 10 Minutes Till The Savages
            Come (The Offbeat Of Avenues)

            13. BIRDLAND (EXTENSIONS)

            14. Agua (Brasil)

            15. SASSY (THE OFFBEAT OF AVENUES)

            16. AIREGIN (VOCALESE)

            I'm in the process of moving into a new house and can't access my home computer - so I'm doing this very quickly at the radio atation (while playing a track from Sketches of Broadway!). If I can get my computer hooked up soon, I promise some commentary next week.

            -jessica

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to: