Re: [ManTran] So, has anyone picked it up yet?

  • JohnsMom1206@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2004
      Hi

      I have Sketches of Broadway, and I love it. But then, it's Janis, so I loved
      it before I even heard it. I must say though, I still like Tender Trap and I
      Wish You Love the best.... ah hell. I love them all.

      Katie

      P.S. Since we were technically on the subject of Sketches, I will say that My
      Best Beau is my favorite so far.

      "Whoever said war is hell was wrong. War is war and Hell is hell and of the
      two I prefer Hell. In Hell, there are no innocent bystanders." ------- Hawkeye
      Pierce (M*A*S*H)

    • Tobias Reid
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2004
        Greetings All,

        I picked up Janis' latest late last week and listened
        to it briefly and, I have to say, I was a little
        disappointed. But I've had the opportunity to go back
        and give another spin on the way to work and it's
        growing on me...especially "Show Me." Some albums I'm
        not thrilled with when I first listen to them but then
        after giving them a chance, my opinion changes. "The
        Offbeat Of Avenues" is an example of this. I'll have
        to give "Sketches" a few more spins to determine how
        it rates for me in Janis' discography. My favorite JS
        album is "Friday Night Special." The minute I put it
        in my player I dug it!

        Cheers,
        Tobias

        --- "Springer,James C." <james.springer@...>
        wrote:

        > Just curious. We've had tons 'o reviews and now that
        > Janis' new one is
        > released we've gone kinda silent here.
        >
        > For the record (pardon the pun :) I have picked it
        > up and have given it
        > one run through so far. I'm liking it so far, with
        > of course, some
        > favorites right off the bat; Show Me,
        > Sorry-Grateful, The Story of Lucy
        > and Jessie. I really liked her "unique" melding of
        > Surrey With The
        > Fringe on Top with Stoned Sould Picnic. At this
        > point however, I'd have
        > to say my favorite track is Out Of My Dreams/I Have
        > Dreamed for her
        > luscious "reading."
        >
        > Just looking to see how others feel, yea or nay ...
        > always interesting
        > to read what others think (outside of professional
        > or
        > not-so-professional critics.)
        >
        > Jim
        >
        > PS. I realize Janis' disk has the unfortunate timing
        > of coming out
        > against Diana Krall's new one (which, yes, picked
        > that up at the same
        > time) along with one I'm considering, John
        > Pizzarelli's new Bossa Nova
        > one (anyone have any comments regarding that
        > release? I'm on the fence
        > whether to get it at this point) And since I'm
        > talking current
        > releases, anyone listen to Lorraine Feather and have
        > gotten her recent
        > release of a month ago? I've been waiting for my
        > local Tower to get it
        > in but it hasn't happened yet. Again, just looking
        > for general opinions
        > on it.
        >

        > E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this
        > e-mail message and any attachments are intended
        > solely for the
        > addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or
        > legally privileged information. If you are not the
        > intended recipient of this message or if this
        > message has been addressed to you in error, please
        > immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and
        > then delete this message and any attachments. If you
        > are not the intended recipient, you are notified
        > that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,
        > or
        > storage of this message or any attachment is
        > strictly prohibited.

        > removed]

      • DANIH
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2004
          Hi,

          found it in the post box last night..had my first listening
          today..and I quite it!
          the Laura Nyro in me is a bit dissapointed that "Stoned Soul Oicnic"
          is only a short sample but the Janis Siegel fan really likes this
          album ;)
          I am glad I have it!

          Thanks

          Dani