Re: BONUS: SOTW: "Another Night in Tunisia"

  • Springer,James C.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 1999
      > From: "John.ONeill" <John.ONeill@...>
      >
      > I know we just had one of our biweekly "Songs of the Week" last
      > week, however last night I was in the mall and heard a
      > performance of "Another Night in Tunisia" being piped in. It was
      > not our favorite performance by TMT and Friends. Instead this was
      > a very brass-y and driven version. Fast paced and totally
      > different. It motivated me to post it as SOTW a: to stimulate
      > some comment on this list and b: to see if any of my fellow
      > listees might have a clue as to the whom was performing the
      > version I heard last night. :)

      So what mall were you in? (I wasn't in any malls this weekend unless you
      count Home Depot as a mall ... it is huge ... but I digress.)

      I very much enjoy Dizzy Gillespie's music. Unfortunately, and I feel I'll be
      in a minority here, this rendition didn't quite do it for me. Can't put my
      finger on why exactly ... I do like their inventiveness .... and the video
      ... but for some reason this version just doesn't make the top of my TMT
      song list. Sorry to be the first to post with a downer .... but to each
      their own I suppose. This certainly put Bobby Mcferrin on the map though,
      didn't it (Ok, there was that "other" little tune, Don't Worry, Be Happy ...
      but we KNOW this is the one that did it for him, right? <g>)

      Jim