Re: Hello to all - Daryl

  • Daryl E. Rose
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 1998
      I sure hope that you're not the spokes person for TMT. Because if you are, then I just bought my last album and just wrote my last letter to this forum. I have never been so insulted in all my life. But I guess that I shouldn't be insulted, after all I do live in "fly over country", and I probably am the only TMT fan in Omaha. You know many headliner groups have come to Omaha, and Omaha has produced some of the finest musicians and entertainers around. I could name several, but two that come to mind as I write this are Mat Wallis, and the Mannheim Steamroller. But your right Dolly, TMT would just be too expensive for us "farm folk" to afford. So maybe I should just go back out and tend to my cattle.

      And as for pictures on the Fan Club Home page, there just simply isn't any. The only pictures that are there are thumbnails that came from the albums. If these are the personal ones that Tim Hauser gave to the web master, then Tim must not have much of a photo album himself. You know I should also be insulted that your telling me how to search the web and download pictures from my browsers, but how could you know that I am a computer professional and do this everyday.

      Daryl

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 1998
        Hi -

        Daryl - I am Dana, and I take care of the group's fan club and all fan-related
        issues (officially I am the fan relations coordinator if you care to have the
        title of my job). I am happy to mention to the management about the desire
        you have to see the group in Omaha. It does not hurt to mention to the venues
        in your area that you would like to see TMT there - it speeds the process up
        if the venues take an active interest in contacting ICM (booking agency) but
        many times if the group is making a tour schedule and they know there is
        interest in seeing them in a particular area, they will try to play there.

        About pictures - and this is for everyone on this list, not just Daryl! :)
        I have many that I can send to you - all I need to know is your format (Mac or
        PC) so I can send them in a manner in which you can see. (gif, jpeg, tif,
        etc) I have a lot of different pics (old and new) as well as a cool wallpaper
        for Windows that features shots off of the group's "Offbeat Of Avenues" video.
        Just e-mail me at DanaTMT@... and I will be happy to share with you what I
        have.

        I know I have mentioned the Fan Club for TMT before, but I know new names are
        added all the time to this list and so I will mention it again - if you would
        like to know more about the TMT Fan Club, I can e-mail you all the details.
        It's a great deal for TMT fans and also a way that you can show the group that
        you support their efforts! :)

        Take care, and please everyone, don't hesitate to let me know if you want
        pictures.

        Dana
      • Springer,James C.
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 1998
          I just had to respond to this. I have to admit, I read this a couple of
          times to try to determine if it was just a sarcastic reply or just plain
          'ole mean-spirited. I've come to the conclusion it's the latter.

          Basically, Dolly, I did not read any of Daryl's reply in your message
          answering his questions. I thought you answered them competently and
          provided helpful information. I too am a computer professional and was
          NOT offended by your describing how to obtain pictures from web-sites.
          It's nice to see people actually take the time to try to assist someone
          else. Obviously you are not a sooth-sayer but Daryl must believe you
          are.

          If I'm wrong and I'm just a dodo-head who can't read a good sarcastic
          e-mailing when he reads one, then I plead guilty. But this just struck
          me as totally negative and wrong and felt I needed to say something.

          Jim

        • DollyDazs@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 1998
            In a message dated 11/3/98 2:41:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            James.Springer@... writes:

[...]

            Thanks Jim for your thoughtfulness. I was not aware the sentiments expressed
            by Daryl were sent to the Mailing List as a whole. It appeared as if he wrote
            to me privately. The note I recieved did not have the "mantran@onelist.com"
            in the "reply to" header the way all the other mail from the mailing list has
            arrived. (Did yours?) Therefore, I replied personally to him thinking he
            wished to keep it private. I was not aware that his response was public. I'm
            not sure how this happened, but find it interesting.

            Regardless, I honestly did not indend to insult Daryl in anyway. Nor was I
            attempting to be a "spokesperson" for TMT. I was just trying to point out
            that ANY band will go where they are paid the most. My statement referring to
            "Arts Meccas" was not to imply that Omaha, NE was "Arts Ignorant" or "Arts
            Deficient." I considered "Arts Meccas" to be the "typical" cities that one
            associates with Arts Meccas.... NY, LA, Nashville, etc. Perhaps, the "top 10
            rated" cities rated. That leaves hundreds of metro areas. (including my own)

            Since, I myself live in the heart of Amish Country, Just outside Lancaster,
            PA. I have nothing but the highest respect and admiration for the farming
            community.

            I also, live just 15 minutes away from Wilmington, DE. I am impressed with
            it's dedication to the arts - but, it is also one of those towns that are not
            considered "Arts Meccas" per se. (at least by the "top 10" definition.)

            It seems that Daryl made the assumption that I was a "city slicker" who has
            predjudice views of, in his words, "farming folk". In truth, I myself have
            mostly lived in areas that are typically "fly over country" and understand the
            frustration of infrequent visits of my favorite musical acts.

            As far as my insulting Daryl by trying to give help in downloading TMT
            pictures. I suppose it's understandable that it could be construde that way.
            The advice I gave was "remedial" for a computer professional. However, he was
            also correct when he said I had no way of knowing that about him. I gave my
            opinion based on the facts I had available to me.

            The pictures on the web site are more than thumnails. They are from Tim's
            personal collection. Many are larger than what one could obtain from the
            liner notes. I'm sorry that they are not up to Daryl's standards, but what I
            said was accurate none-the-less.

            The bottom line is that I am truly regret insulting Daryl, but I did not mean
            to be sarcastic or disrespectful in anyway and my intentions truly were to
            conribute to the mailing list, keeping it active, and to try and be helpful.
            No more, no less.

            In conclusion, I will copy and paste the response I sent to Daryl:

            Daryl,

            No, I am not a spokesperson for TMT.

            I regret that I articulated myself in a way that was insulting to you, but I
            genuinely do not feel the "snobbish" sentiments towards Omaha or any other
            state (or location) that you have attributed to me.

            I did not deserve the hostility expressed in your note.

            If my sincere attempt to be friendly and helpful is the most (you've) "ever
            been insulted in your life", then congratulations, you've lived a charmed
            life.

            Sincerely,

            Lisa Gilbert
          • Dix72@xxx.xxx