Nice review of Janis' new one at jazzreview.com

  • Springer,James C.(NXI)
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2002
      actual link: http://jazzreview.com/cdreview.cfm?ID=2518
      <http://jazzreview.com/cdreview.cfm?ID=2518>

      Featured Artist: Janis Siegel

      CD Title: I Wish You Love

      Year: 2002

      Record Label: Telarc

      Style: Jazz Vocals

      Musicians: Janis Siegel, vocals. Cedar Walton, piano. David Williams, bass.
      David Newman, tenor saxophone. Winard Harper, drums. Bill Ware, vibraphone.
      Tom Harrell, trumpet and flugelhorn. Frank Colon, congas, bongos, maracas.
      Guest vocal backup artists.

      Review: This debut CD from Telarc presents the jazz vocals of Janis Siegel.
      Janis Siegel is part of the group, The Manhattan Transfer, which is
      well-known to jazz listening audiences. This 11 song collection, I WISH YOU
      LOVE, has excellent production values and a sound that is memorable.

      Another wonderful part of this collection is the magnificent piano stylings
      of Cedar Walton, one of the great talents in jazz piano performances. With
      David Newman on tenor saxophone and David Williams on bass, plus Winard
      Harper on drums, this is a pleasant and enjoyable listening experience. Some
      of the songs are "Just a Little Lovin'," "Go Away Little Boy," "Mr.
      Sandman/Dream a Little Dream of Me," "Don't Go to Strangers," "Who Are
      You?," "I Wish You Love," and "The Big Hurt."

      Janis Siegel has a wide vocal range, and her stylings are intimate and
      complex, each word sung is perfectly understood and felt. The musicians
      accompanying Janis Siegel are known to jazz listening audiences, and will
      add to the interest of this exceptional CD collection. "Don't Go to
      Strangers" will catch the listeners' attention with its deep emotional
      intensity, as will "I Wish You Love" and "The Big Hurt." Tom Harrell gives
      an energetic and creative solo on flugelhorn in the lively "(I'm Afraid) The
      Masquerade Is Over," as does David Newman on flute and tenor saxophone.

      This is remarkable collection by a remarkable jazz vocalist accompanied by
      remarkable musicians. Everything comes together in a fine fashion of jazz
      expression in I WISH YOU LOVE.

      For fans of Janis Siegel and Cedar Walton, and for the jazz listening
      audience at large, this is a nice collection of songs to have in the home
      jazz library collection.

      Reviewed by: Lee <mailto:rozwizca@...> Prosser

    • danigabih
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2002
        Thanks for posting this interessting review...I cannot wait of
        getting the CD!

        Dani