Re: [ManTran] Cheryl

  • Jeffrey Hartley
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 2, 2000
      Hi everyone.... I just wanted to mentioned that I recently picked up
      Cheryl's solo cd "Something Cool". I can highly reccomend it. It's quite
      different than anything TMT has done... It's much more ethereal.

      Jeff Hartley
    • Daniela HIEFLER
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 2, 2000
        "Something Cool" is a wonderful CD: But if you can get
        "Dreaming of Mr Porter" it is fantastic

        Dani
        --- Jeffrey Hartley <jhartley@...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone.... I just wanted to mentioned that I
        > recently picked up
        > Cheryl's solo cd "Something Cool". I can highly
        > reccomend it. It's quite
        > different than anything TMT has done... It's much
        > more ethereal.
        >

        > Jeff Hartley

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • Jeffrey Hartley
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 2, 2000
          Hi again all.... I just preordered Spirit of St. Louis from cdnow.
          They're currently offering a 15% discount so my total for the disc,
          including shipping and handling was $13.47.

          Here's the link I used to cdnow.

          http://p04.com/t.d?PkIAkT6-=/cdnow.com/from=rek:x:cdn:0927cdob

          Jeff Hartley
        • Springer,James C.(NXI)
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 2, 2000
            I agree with both responses. They are quite different CDs. I prefer Porter,
            but that's my personal musical preference. With that said, Cool is good in
            and of its own. I agree with Jeff's summation of that title. My heart is
            with Dani though, my tastes run more towards the "show-y" Porter more often
            than not. I do highly recommend the Porter CD if you are at all a fan of
            Cole Porter. Cheryl does some wonderful readings that are a bit different on
            some of the familiar tunes.

            Jim

            PS. Alright, one more week to go for the Louis CD! (which, I might add, I
            like the cover art.) Personally, I'm taking the "hit" in price for same day
            access ... I'm going to Tower for lunch *LOL*

          • danatmt@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , May 8, 2002
              <<One other question: Will this CD be available only on the fan site or is a record label involved?>>

              Cheryl has a label, but I am not sure of the specifics on it and she said she would let us know more -- so it should be more readily available than Porter was - they released that one themselves and didn't really have distribution for it, so that is why it was "harder" to get than a regular release CD.

              Glad you liked the info - I am always happy to provide it for everyone.

              Dana
            • Moy Ortiz
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 10, 2002
                HI Tobias,

                just want to say that you're not alone! I've had my disc for two weeks
                already! Cheryl is really blossoming into her own!!!
                At first, I was worried that this disc might turn out to be one of those
                boring standards compilations but her choice of songs ( some very popular,
                others a bit obscure ) is excellent! My favorite is "Everything Happens To
                Me"

                I would have appreciated it if they photographed her face in the front
                cover instead of her necklace. Anyway, am glad that all the Man Tran girls
                have their own solo projects!

                Moy

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 10, 2002
                  Hi Brian,

                  you can go to http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/

                  Got my copy for US$32 with shipping and handling. Only took a week to
                  arrive!

                  Moy

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 13, 2002

                  • Tobias Reid <tobiasreid@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 15, 2002

                      <tarataysse@y...> wrote:
                      > Yes, Cheryl's new album started well in japan. A japanese
                      friend of
                      > minr wrote that to me when we discussed it...maybe
                      interessting for
                      > you.
                      > He also likes it a lot.
                      >
                      > It is easy to get Cheryl's CD, because Japanese jazz magazine
                      "Swing
                      > Journal" recommends it as a gold disc. There are so many
                      stocks in CD
                      > stores.
                      >
                      > But I wait if it is going to get a europe release also.....
                      >

                      > Dani
                    • Jessica Sendra (Merch)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 15, 2002
                        Hi Tobias! You're not alone -- Cheryl sent me a burned copy a couple of months ago. Haven't seen the packaging, but I have heard it. And I agree - it's a really nice record!
                        Last I heard from her she had a good line on a US distributor. Got my fingers crossed!

                        jessica

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 16, 2002

                          wrote:
                          > HI Tobias,
                          >
                          > just want to say that you're not alone! I've had my disc for two
                          weeks
                          > already! Cheryl is really blossoming into her own!!!
                          > At first, I was worried that this disc might turn out to be one of
                          those
                          > boring standards compilations but her choice of songs ( some
                          very popular,
                          > others a bit obscure ) is excellent! My favorite is "Everything
                          Happens To
                          > Me"
                          >
                          > I would have appreciated it if they photographed her face in
                          the front
                          > cover instead of her necklace. Anyway, am glad that all the Man
                          Tran girls
                          > have their own solo projects!
                          >
                          > Moy

                        • Brian Raiche
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 16, 2002

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 16, 2002
                              There are several places you can order it from--

                              amazon.com
                              towerrecords.com
                              cduniverse.com

                              I ordered it from a company in Japan called Mundo. Their
                              service was excellent. Here is the web address:
                              www.mediawars.ne.jp/~mundo/collect/file/cheryl-bentyne.html

                              Cheers,
                              Tobias

                              --- In mantran@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Raiche"

                              Service.

                            • Jessica Sendra (Merch)
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 16, 2002
                                Tobias,
                                Janis's latest will be coming out in the spring. April, I think. They wanted the release to coincide with a period of TMT inactivity so Janis could tour behind it. It's called "Friday Night Special" (but that could change) and I think it's just wonderful. As much as I loved "I Wish You Love" I think this is a huge leap forward. Janis sounds relaxed, in the groove, and smokin'!
                                I haven't listened to the CD in about 6 weeks, though, so let me dig it back up and I'll tell you more about it later.

                                jessica (currently dealing with something called "hand foot & mouth disease." someone forgot to warn me that having a child in daycare means sharing all kinds of wonderful illnesses with them!)

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 26, 2002
                                  Hi all,

                                  Hope you all had a very fine Christmas.

                                  I got a surprise present for Christmas...on Dec 23rd a package from
                                  Japan got my way...I expected it for my friend sent me two NYV
                                  compilations and I had sent him a "Real Group" CD back for it...but
                                  the third CD that was in the package was a real surprise to me...:)

                                  "The Talk OF The Town" by Cheryl Bentyne.

                                  It is an awesome CD I have to agree and it is reall worth getting it
                                  or waiting for, what ever you may decide!

                                  Dani(Vienna, Aut)