Re: Welcome to mantran@onelist.com

  • John J. O'Neill
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 13, 1998
      Hello all. . .

      Not sure how many folks are on this mailing list although I would think with the international reputation of this wonderful quartet it must be quite a few.

      I would like to introduce myself and maybe in the process get some conversation going.

      My name is John O'Neill and I am a 37 year old who lives in northern Virginia. I've been a fan since I first heard Twilight Zone on the radio back in the late 70s. I then worked my way back through the group's catalog and have brought every release since.

      I've been fortunate to see the group live several times when I was living in New York. My favorite performance was at Westbury Music Fair in New York, an intimate theatre in the round, where Alan came into the audience and sang to my date.

      Some other comments. . .

      My favorite Manhattan Transfer CD: Vocalese. . .what a triumph this one was. I think I like this best because we've got the whole group singing all the time. Some of the other albums tend to provide more solo spots. . .which is fine. . .but I love these guys best when they are delivering their tightly arranged four part harmonies. And love those "Blee Blop Blues". . .

      Close second has got to be the Christmas Album just in overall quality of the CD and with the best
      version of Santa Clause is Coming to Town EVER recorded. This is the best album for curling up in front of the fire with a nice glass of wine or mug of cocoa during the holidays. Talk about smooth. Almost too good to listen to only around the holidays.

      Now a question for the list. . .why was the group's association with Columbia/Sony so short lived? Both albums (The Christmas Album and Offbeat of the Avenues) are excellent outings. I can't believe that Columbia would have signed this amazing and acclaimed jazz outfit for only two records.

      Well that's all for now. Really looking forward to be part of this mailing list.

      John
    • Springer,James C.
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 1998
        John,

        I joined this list and frankly, forgot about it because as you note,
        there is no traffic here. We're pretty similar in age, I'm 39 and
        started to get into the group around 1980. I've seen them 3 times in
        Chicago were I work (live in the suburbs.) I saw them for their
        Vocalese tour, the Brasil tour and one other time that escapes me at the
        moment.

        I agree with your observation on Vocalese. The harmonies/jazz
        performances were terrific. I'd really like to see them do an album of
        "standards." The Disney channel just happened to be having a freebie
        night in the late 80's when they showed a performance by the group in
        California during the Brasil album/tour. At the end of the show they
        performed "Embraceable You," which, IMHO, was simply outstanding. I've
        been hoping to see an album of standards since ... alas it has not been.
        And though I don't have a "wish list" of songs, the "standards" would
        not necessarily just have to be 40/50's, but current as well, say like
        "The Island." I'd love to hear more Bossa Nova-type covers as well; I'd
        bet they could add their own unique style to say Desafinado, Wave,
        Corcovado and others (needless to say, I really enjoyed Capim on
        Brasil.)

        Anyhow, just wanted to write to let you know there IS someone else on
        this list.

        Jim

      • Monika
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 1998
          I have been a big fan of the Manhattan Transfer since around 1982. I saw
          them live only once, back in 1996 when they performed in Jakarta.

          As with James, I hope to hear them sing the standards. That would be so
          beautiful.

          Monika

        • Mario David Uy
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 23, 1998
            I have been a fan of TMT since the Mecca for Moderns album. Of course
            what eventually caught my attention was "Java Jive." I just think its a
            fun song; and this comes from a guy who doesn't like coffee.

            I joined this list a couple days via the TMT official fan club web site.
            I have only seen them once at Milwaukee's Summerfest a couple years after
            the release of Vocalese. Also, I have all the "original" recordings from
            Extensions to the Swing.

            David

            >I have been a big fan of the Manhattan Transfer since around 1982. I saw
            >them live only once, back in 1996 when they performed in Jakarta.
            >
            >As with James, I hope to hear them sing the standards. That would be so
            >beautiful.
            >
            >Monika
            >
            >Springer,James C. wrote:
            >
            >> From: "Springer,James C." <James.Springer@...>
            >>
            >> John,
            >>
            >> I joined this list and frankly, forgot about it because as you note,
            >> there is no traffic here. We're pretty similar in age, I'm 39 and
            >> started to get into the group around 1980. I've seen them 3 times in
            >> Chicago were I work (live in the suburbs.) I saw them for their
            >> Vocalese tour, the Brasil tour and one other time that escapes me at the
            >> moment.
            >>
            >> I agree with your observation on Vocalese. The harmonies/jazz
            >> performances were terrific. I'd really like to see them do an album of
            >> "standards." The Disney channel just happened to be having a freebie
            >> night in the late 80's when they showed a performance by the group in
            >> California during the Brasil album/tour. At the end of the show they
            >> performed "Embraceable You," which, IMHO, was simply outstanding. I've
            >> been hoping to see an album of standards since ... alas it has not been.
            >> And though I don't have a "wish list" of songs, the "standards" would
            >> not necessarily just have to be 40/50's, but current as well, say like
            >> "The Island." I'd love to hear more Bossa Nova-type covers as well; I'd
            >> bet they could add their own unique style to say Desafinado, Wave,
            >> Corcovado and others (needless to say, I really enjoyed Capim on
            >> Brasil.)
            >>
            >> Anyhow, just wanted to write to let you know there IS someone else on
            >> this list.
            >>
            >> Jim

            || ||Shepherd me, O Lord ||
            || Mario David Uy || Beyond my wants, ||
            || mardavuy@... || Beyond my fears ||
            || mardavuy@... || From death into life ||
            || http://www.uwm.edu/~mardavuy || -Marty Haugen ||
            || || (Psalm 23) ||
            || Filipino American Association of Wisconsin ||
            || http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/6517 ||

            SALVE Regina, Mater misericordiae, vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
            salve. Ad te clamamus, exsules filii Hevae; Ad te suspiramus,
            gementes et flentes in hac lacrimarum valle. Eia ergo, advocata
            nostra illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converte. Et Jesum,
            benedictum fructum ventris tui, nobis post hoc exilium ostende. O
            clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria. Ora pro nobis, sancta Dei
            Genitrix. Ut digni efficiamur promissionibus Christi. Amen.

          • David McLallen
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 26, 1998
              >From: "Springer,James C." <James.Springer@...>
              >
              >John,
              >
              >I joined this list and frankly, forgot about it because as you note,
              >there is no traffic here. We're pretty similar in age, I'm 39 and
              >started to get into the group around 1980. I've seen them 3 times in
              >Chicago were I work (live in the suburbs.) I saw them for their
              >Vocalese tour, the Brasil tour and one other time that escapes me at
              the
              >moment.

              And here's another, also close in age (42 in my case) - got into the
              Transfer when I was in college, starting around '76 or '77 and have been
              listening and enjoying ever since. I also would like to hear a new
              album of standards (although they have done quite a few in the past -
              Pastiche was largely made up of standards), and I especially think that
              Janis' voice would be great on some of the torchier ones. I remember
              seeing a snippet of them doing Choo Choo Ch'Boogie at an Ella Fitzgerald
              tribute a few years back and really loved it!

              My favorite album is probably "Offbeat of Avenues" at the moment, but
              that is quite subject to change depending on my mood.

              David

              David R. McLallen
              mclallen@...
              mclallen@...

              "Everything I've ever learned in life I've had to learn again."
              -James Lee Stanley
            • John J. O'Neill
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 26, 1998
                David wrote. . .
                >My favorite album is probably "Offbeat of Avenues" at the moment, but
                >that is quite subject to change depending on my mood.

                This album really blew me away. It was all very "new" in its approach and
                it was also great to
                see the members names all over the songs for writing credits.

                There's not a "dog" in the bunch and it's kind of "modern" (sort of like
                Extensions but better). "Ten Minutes Till the Savages Come", "Blue
                Serenade", the title track. . .all great stufff. One number that really
                jumped out at me was "Confide in Me". The Manhattan Transfer covering a
                Donald Fagen (of Steely Dan) number?!?!? Wow. . .what a match. Steely Dan
                has always had a jazz basis to their music (very dominant on the later
                stuff) and Fagan's tight arrangements and jazz based chord progressions
                were a perfect match for the close harmonies and vocals of the Manhattan
                Transfer. This song really works. I've often wondered how the group would
                sound covering other Fagan/Steely Dan numbers ("Black Cow", "Deacon Blues",
                "Babylon Sisters", "FM", "Maxine" from Fagan's solo album the Nightfly,
                "Snowbound" or "Florida Room" from his "Kamakiriad", what about "Century's
                End" from the "Bright Lights, Big City" soundtrack ). Strange idea? Maybe
                the lyrics of Steely Dan a bit too off-beat for Mantran? Perhaps but I
                certainly love the results that resulted from this outing.

                John
              • Springer,James C.
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 27, 1998
                  From: "David McLallen" <mclallen@...>

                  "And here's another, also close in age (42 in my case) - got into the
                  Transfer when I was in college, starting around '76 or '77 and have been

                  listening and enjoying ever since. I also would like to hear a new
                  album of standards (although they have done quite a few in the past -
                  Pastiche was largely made up of standards), and I especially think that
                  Janis' voice would be great on some of the torchier ones. I remember
                  seeing a snippet of them doing Choo Choo Ch'Boogie at an Ella Fitzgerald

                  tribute a few years back and really loved it!

                  My favorite album is probably "Offbeat of Avenues" at the moment, but
                  that is quite subject to change depending on my mood."
                  "

                  Hmmm, I don't really consider Pastiche an album of standards. It
                  literally is a pastiche with one side of 30/40's tunes and the other a
                  little more current. But I don't think many of those tunes are
                  "standards" (except, maybe, Love For Sale.) I'm thinking more in the
                  line of Cole Porter, Gerswhin, etc tunes. And, since I really enjoy
                  bossa-nova, Jobim as well. Songs such as; "Easy To Love," "Night And
                  Day," "S'Wonderful," "Embraceable You," "Desafinado" ... etc. I do
                  enjoy Pastiche, but not exactly what I would think of as standards.

                  I believe someone already mentioned that "Choo Choo Ch'Boogie" is on the
                  Swing album. I'm like you, enjoying different albums at different times,
                  though when I step back and have to pick one as "the" best, it would
                  have to be Vocalese.

                  Jim