Jim and John & Sound-alikes

  • DanaTMT@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 1999
      Hi -

      Jim and John, you crack me up! Your exchanges on here always make me laugh --
      thank you both for always adding a laugh to my busy days!

      Now..... also thank you <LOL> for getting that "Stuck In the Middle" song
      stuck in my head....but you know, you are right in that it does sound like
      that Sheryl Crow song, I always thought that sounded familiar. I always
      think that is really interesting when it happens. I would love to hear your
      MT "Silent Night" comparison with the Newman version.

      Offtopic of MT but on the soundalike topic: I remember a friend of mine was
      almost driven nuts a few years back when Doug Stone's "A Jukebox With A
      Country Song" came out and sounded very similar to Travis Tritt's "Country
      Club." For the record, I can't take either song, but it was like she was
      saying "Here, listen! It's the same thing!" and you couldn't help but
      notice it. Very, very similar. So either time one or the other was played,
      she would say "Do you know that song sounds exactly like (fill in the blank
      of the other one that was not playing)" and she would sing the other one to
      prove her point. Of course now songs are sampled all over the place in
      other songs (but always credited, though I seem to recall something about MC
      Hammer ripping off Rick James by sampling "Super Freak" all over "U Cant
      Touch This" and not crediting him.). I would think that would be hard as a
      songwriter or arranger to keep things that you have already heard from
      subconsciously working their way into something you write.

      I have been listening to my Christmas album so much, it just always gets me
      in the holiday mood. (Although I do admit to pulling it out other times of
      the year, too. It is simply one of my favorites, and I need an occasional
      "Santa Man" fix other than one month out of the year.)

      Dana A. -------> who is much too gabby this morning