MT at Yoshi's Oakland, 02-12-12

  • duaneiac
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2012
      I saw the group at Yoshi's in Oakland this past Sunday. Previously, I'd seen them in large theaters and in an outdoor festival setting, so it was a nice change to see & hear them in the more intimate setting of a jazz club. It was easier to appreciate the blending of their individual voices.

      Set list included:

      You Can Depend On Me
      Route 66
      Java Jive
      On a Little Street in Singapore / Poinciana (medley)
      A-Tisket, A-Tasket (Janis' "muted trumpet" solo was a highlight)
      Air Mail Special
      Being Lazy (I guess is the title of the solo number performed by Margaret Dorn)
      The Way You Look Tonight (a solo for Alan, dedicated to his wife in the audience that night)
      Sidewinder (Janis really shone on this number!)
      Moten Swing
      Baby Come Back To Me
      Boy From NYC
      Birdland
      and for an encore, Choo Choo Ch-Boogie

      That's a lot of music for a 65 minute set!

      Margaret Dorn was quite good as the fill-in for Cheryl. She did not get to solo on any of the group's numbers, but they did allow her one number of her own. It must be difficult enough to learn all the words, harmonies and movements for the many different numbers in the group's repertoire.

      Tim said every show of their three night stay had been packed, so that's good to hear. It was certainly near capacity at the show I saw.

      I was hoping to hear them say that Cheryl would be back soon, but no such announcement was made. I certainly hope she is doing okay and is on the road to recovery.
    • John Hinckley
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2012
        I sure wish they would come back to Vegas.

        To: mantran@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2012
          Hi

          Has anyone heard any news regarding Cheryl ? I see the web site has not
          been updated with any news since her illness in December.

          Bye for now

          Janette
          Edinburgh, Scotland

        • Rigelsun ....
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15, 2012
            You can find Cheryl's blog at:

            http://cbentyne.blog.com/

          • yolandazorio
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7, 2012
              --- In mantran@yahoogroups.com, gollan janette <jgoll@...> wrote:
              > Hi
              > Has anyone heard any news regarding Cheryl ? I see the web site has
              > not been updated with any news since her illness in December.
              >
              > Bye for now
              >
              > Janette
              > Edinburgh, Scotland

              For you, Janette, and everyone else concerned about Cheryl's health,
              here's some news that will make your day brighter:

              MANHATTAN TRANSFER'S CHERYL BENTYNE BEATS CANCER: After undergoing
              chemotherapy for Hodgkins Lymphoma, Manhattan Transfer's Cheryl
              Bentyne was thankfully declared cancer free on March 6th., 2012.
              "Thank you to everyone in the world who has helped me with prayers
              and all good things," she said. "I am a big lump of gratitude."

              Janis Siegel also referred to her incredibly fast recovery:
              "Just heard the miraculous news that my dear partner and friend Cheryl
              Bentyne received a PT scan report that she was CANCER-FREE. We are all
              so grateful to fans and friends that prayed and sent healing wishes.
              I'd personally like to thank Margaret Dorn, who stepped in, in an
              impossible situation and helped us and will continue to help us till
              Cheryl's full return. Margaret...you have been a godsend.
              So very happy and grateful.
              Cheryl kicked cancer's ASS."

              In Tim's words:
              "CHERYL IS CANCER FREE - When has there been better news - Much Joy"

              Message by Alan Paul:
              "Dear Friends and family,
              just heard this morning from my partner Cheryl Bentyne that her PT
              scan report shows that she is now CANCER-FREE. We are all so deeply
              grateful for your healing prayers and best wishes. Alan"

              You know, I usually don't repost messages from TMT's personal Facebook
              accounts, but considered that everybody would feel very happy to know
              about Cheryl's speedy recovery, and what better source than the Amazing Four themselves?

              If you haven't already left a message in Cheryl's blog or FB account,
              here's your chance to do so:
              - Chemo Cocktails 4 Two: http://cbentyne.blog.com/
              - https://www.facebook.com/cheryl.bentyne

              Hugs,