Any news?

  • duaneiac
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 19, 2011
      No posts in this group since August?

      Nobody has any news? No Man Tran concerts in the past two months?
    • yolandazorio
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2011
        Hi!

        Yes, you're right, no posts since August :-(.
        To be honest, I've been focusing more in adding information to the ManTran new page in Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ManTran-The-Manhattan-Transfer/194543830591751

        The Manhattan Transfer visited Seattle during October to perform several gigs at Dimitrou's "Jazz Alley" and drop by "New Day Northwest" one morning. You may catch the interview and "Sing You Sinners" in this video: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2167171659112

        If you'd like to check the upcoming concerts list for 2011/2012, it's available here under "Notes":
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/ManTran-The-Manhattan-Transfer/194543830591751?sk=notes

        Hugs,
        Jolly

        PD: Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions :-)

        --- In mantran@yahoogroups.com, "duaneiac" <duaneiac@...> wrote:

        > No posts in this group since August?
        >
        > Nobody has any news? No Man Tran concerts in the past two months?

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 20, 2011
          Hey Jolly, thanks for the reminder about the FB page. I'll see posts that hit my news feed once in a while but checking the page I realized I miss a lot of stuff too.

          As for the previous question suggesting concerts (and / or reviews) ... I will be attending one (the first one in YEARS) with the group this upcoming December.

          As for this list, yea, seems it has pretty much died. Everyone is on other social media, though again, this seems to be the better place to maintain coherent threads of conversation if wanting to do so.

          Anyway, note to self, check The Transfer's page a little more often. :)

          Take care; Jim

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 20, 2011
            Hey, Jim!

            Thank you for your reply.
            Since the latest Facebook layout modification, it's been very frustrating (at least, to me) to try to keep with the news feeds in full, I do feel like I'm missing lots of stuff, as you pointed it out :-(.

            I also agree that, with the broad development of social media, mailing lists are pretty much a thing of the past, but what I like about them is the ability to communicate with people in a less complicated way, guess I'm getting old ;-). Nevertheless, if you or anybody else find an alternative to make things easy for everybody, be my guess, I'm open for suggestions.

            Will definitely be looking forward to your TMT concert report next December, please enjoy it for me :-).

            Hugs,
            Jolly

            --- In mantran@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <Spockster59@...> wrote:

            > Hey Jolly, thanks for the reminder about the FB page. I'll see posts that hit my news feed once in a while but checking the page I realized I miss a lot of stuff too.
            >
            > As for the previous question suggesting concerts (and / or reviews) ... I will be attending one (the first one in YEARS) with the group this upcoming December.
            >
            > As for this list, yea, seems it has pretty much died. Everyone is on other social media, though again, this seems to be the better place to maintain coherent threads of conversation if wanting to do so.
            >
            > Anyway, note to self, check The Transfer's page a little more often. :)
            >
            > Take care; Jim
          • John O
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 21, 2011
              >No posts in this group since August?
              >Nobody has any news? No Man Tran concerts in the past two months?

              I've watched as most of the Yahoo-groups I belong to have become inactive and some have completely shut down. A few have sporadic activity but for the most part they're dead. Many - including this one - now have pages on FB but I'll be honest it is much harder to follow all of the activity on FB. Especially with the "new" FB format: some activity from pages I follow comes across on my "news feed", some does not, and I simply don't have the time to check out each page. So I know I'm missing alot.

              Also FB simply doesn't lend itself to the types of in depth discussions we used to have here in the yahoo-groups environment.

              Enough griping... :)

              I'm thinking, in light of the Arab Spring, that the Manhattan Transfer should revisit "(Wanted) Dead or Alive" (from "Mecca for Moderns") and update the lyrics to reflect the incredible political upheavals that have been taking place. It was never one of my favorites but every time I read about another dictator falling, including today's news about Gadhafi, I find this little number running through my head.

              Hope all are well.

              John O.
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
                --- In mantran@yahoogroups.com, "John O" <John-ON@...> wrote:

                > Also FB simply doesn't lend itself to the types of in depth discussions > we used to have here in the yahoo-groups environment.

                We've both mentioned this before. Actually I am on a couple of lists that are still active, aquarium-related, here on yahoo. And they are active for the very reason we would prefer yahoo groups at times, they tend to get into discussions that are much easier to follow as a thread here.

                Along the notification lines, I had this yahoo group set to send an email upon activity. So I know when things post up. I had FB set to send an email on "all posts" for the group there but have only seen a handful of emails from FB regarding Manhattan Transfer all this time. I've just switched that to email on "All Activities" and I'll see if that makes any noticeable impact. Personally I rely on email (or other notification) to remember to check out things and I don't as a rule wander over to various "group" pages just to check.

                > I'm thinking, in light of the Arab Spring, that the Manhattan Transfer should revisit "(Wanted) Dead or Alive" (from "Mecca for Moderns") and update the lyrics to reflect the incredible political upheavals that have been taking place. It was never one of my favorites but every time I read about another dictator falling, including today's news about Gadhafi, I find this little number running through my head.

                LOL, can't say I ever have this number running through my head. But now that you said it, I have an ear bug .... Doh! Of course, the title would need to change from (Wanted) Dead or Alive to just Killed 'Ya Dead.

                Jim