New CD and DVD

  • markd1014
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 23, 2011
      I have a lot of information to share from the Transfer's time in NY last week. On Thursday, my friend texted me the set list from the late show at the Blue Note and it was a very different and exciting one:

      Doodlin
      On a Little Street in Singapore/Poinciana
      Corner Pocket
      Sing You Sinners
      Foogee
      Airegin
      Janis: Jeepers Creepers
      Tim: She's Funny That Way
      The Sidewinder
      Lonely Way
      Spain
      (the rest of the information is missing; presumably Birdland and an encore).

      I went to the early show the next night and was a little disappointed to get a more predictable set:

      Moten Swing
      Study in Brown
      Singapore/Poinciana
      Java Jive
      Tisket
      Air Mail Special
      Janis: I Know the Way to Brooklyn
      Alan: The Way You Look Tonight
      Sidewinder
      Tutu
      Soul Food to Go
      Birdland
      Encore: Spain

      The Sidewinder is a famous Lee Morgan piece that Jon Hendricks wrote lyrics to for the Transfer to sing on Yaron's new album, which I'm definitely going to order. This immediately becomes one of the Transfer's great vocaelese classics with an amazing solo by Janis. I t was also very interesting to hear Singapore, with the "blow tropic wind" part of Poinciana interpolated, since I have never heard either of these with Cheryl.

      Before the show I got to see Janis and Cheryl give an interview with a jazz professor at NYU at Barnes and Noble. It was really fun...they didn't say a lot that most of us wouldn't know but it was just really great to see them, even though the interviewer had just done all his research on youtube (you can *not* hear their sound on those videos) and didn't seem to understand or respect the transfer very much.

      Perhaps the biggest news, though, came when I went up to the Blue Note gift shop and saw that the Transfer is selling a dvd and a cd of a concert at the Java Jazz festival a few years ago. I didn't pause before shelling out $45 for it. Here are the dvd tracks:

      Birdland
      On the Boulevard
      Bahia
      Route 66
      Candy
      Java Jive
      Tisket
      Air Mail
      Tutu
      Smile Again
      Sassy
      Soul Food
      Trickle Trickle
      Boy from NYC
      Twilight Zone
      Tuxedo Junction

      The CD has all these songs, though in a random order for some reason. The sound quality is great, and we especially needed a recording of their current approach to Bahia, and Sassy was a surprise. I don't know if this is available online or only at shows, but it's a great record of how the Transfer sounds recently (though Steve is not on drums sadly)
    • pufnstuf
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 23, 2011
        where can i get a copy of the cd/dvd
        terry
        uk

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 23, 2011
          I called Blue Note but they only had a couple of copies.

          Anyone have any luck finding it?

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 23, 2011
            I didn't see the DVD, but Yaron has his new CD available on his site
            http://yaronmusic.com/ , called State Of Mind. Unfortunately, I didn't see a
            list of the tunes on this album. I did find his previous one is available
            to me on the Zune Marketplace called Personal Notes so I'm going to give
            that a shot.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 24, 2011
              I couldn't find anything about this DVD online, so I'm guessing it's only for sale at shows. I'm pretty certain they said State of Mind was the name of the CD with Sidewinder.

              Mark

              --- In mantran@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Springer" <Spockster59@...> wrote:

              > I didn't see the DVD, but Yaron has his new CD available on his site
              > http://yaronmusic.com/ , called State Of Mind. Unfortunately, I didn't see a
              > list of the tunes on this album. I did find his previous one is available
              > to me on the Zune Marketplace called Personal Notes so I'm going to give
              > that a shot.
              >

              > Jim

            • Mark Bryner
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 26, 2011
                Hello and thanks for this info!

                I am also very interested in obtaining a copy of the CD and DVD from the Java Jazz show if possible. I'll certainly be looking and let everyone know if I find some for sale. Again, always thanks for letting us fans know about more TMT music!

                bye for now and happy listening,

                mark