mantran

  • pufnstuf
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 26 1:08 AM
      new compliation coming out
      great track listing
      wish they could of included gentlemen with a family
      http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=53833

    • Russell Paris
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 26 1:31 PM
        On Feb 26, 2011 at 1:09am, pufnstuf1969@... wrote:
        > new compilation coming out
        > great track listing
        > wish they could of included gentlemen with a family
        > http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?
        > ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=53833

        This is interesting. Before even looking at the track listing, I
        noticed the cover. I can't believe that the band approved that
        artwork, so I'm not sure what to think of this release. (Isn't that
        Laurel on the cover? I love Laurel, but didn't she leave the band in
        1978?)

        Does the band really need another compilation? Doesn't this release
        just cover ground already covered in "Anthology: Down In Birdland"
        from 1992? Where are all the great songs from "Tonin'", "Swing",
        "Spirit Of St. Louis", "Vibrate" and "The Chick Corea Songbook"?

        Okay, I know that "Anthology: Down In Birdland" basically compiled
        tracks from the Atlantic years (1975-1987) before the band left for
        Columbia. And it's a great collection. This new one does add "The
        Offbeat Of Avenues" (The Offbeat Of Avenues) and "Stomp Of King
        Porter" (Swing)... but really 95% of this is simply repackaging the
        same old tracks.

        We already have:
        The Best Of The Manhattan Transfer (Atlantic, 1981)
        Anthology: Down In Birdland (Rhino, 1992)
        The Very Best Of The Manhattan Transfer (Rhino, 1994)
        Boy From New York City And Other Hits (Flashback, 1997)
        The Symphony Sessions (King Records, 2006) (Rhino Records, 2006)
        Definitive Pop (Rhino Records, 2006)

        At least "The Symphony Sessions" was new recordings, even if the were
        not new songs.

        Do we really need another CD with "Trickle Trickle", "Java Jive" and
        "Route 66"? What makes this one special and worth purchasing? This
        might be the 30th "official ?" album release in my collection -- not
        to mention duplicates, alternative versions and such. But it looks
        like it might be another "discount" release like the Flashback one
        from 1997. I'll wait for reviews before putting out my money for
        this one.

        I'd love to see a REAL effort made in putting out a first class box
        set -- 3-5 CDs that really cover the band's full output, include a
        bunch of unreleased tracks, alternate takes, everything remastered
        with the latest technology, and a good size booklet (like the one in
        "Anthology: Down In Birdland") with new photos and extensive liner
        notes written by Tim, Janis, Alan, Cheryl and Laurel. Something
        truly thoughtful and put together with the love and special attention
        that The Manhattan Transfer's catalog so richly deserves.

        Just my opinion.

        Russ
      • Daniel Kramer
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 26 7:12 PM
          Agreed, Russ. There are a lot of things they have done live that have never been issued. Personally, my fave in this category is their 4-part Charleston Alley. Also, TMT did a phenomenal arrangement of The Star Spangled Banner soon after 9/11/01. That deserves to be heard.

          Take care, all.

          Daniel

        • John-ON@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 26 8:28 PM
            Russ writes...
            >Before even looking at the track listing, I noticed the cover.

            >I can't believe that the band approved that artwork...

            Same thought crossed my mind.  At the Amazon.com site they don't even show the artwork so I'm wondering if it has been finalized. If so then I have to wonder if this is an official release.

            >Doesn't this release just cover ground already covered in

            >"Anthology: Down In Birdland " from 1992?

            I did a track by track comparison and found that it does in fact duplicate 27 of the 39 tracks found on the "Anthology" collection. Gone are: Helpless, Ray's Rockhouse , Hearts Desire (live),  Zindy Lou, Foreign Affair, Blee Blop Blues, Gal in Calico, Love For Sale, That Cat Is High, Benny Bailey, To You, and Capim .

            In their stead this new set includes: Who What When Where Why, Walk in Love, Where Did Our Love Go, Scotch and Soda, Popsicle Toes, You Can Depend On Me, Je Voulais Te Dire, Don't Let Go, Nothing Could Be Hotter, Stomp of King Porter, Poinciana, Clouds, and Offbeat of Avenues.

            Some of the changes make sense as I always thought that the Anthology track listing, while very good, omitted some signature numbers and personal favorites ("Popsicle Toes", "You Can Depend On Me", "Scotch and Soda") but then this new set drops equally vital numbers such as "Ray's Rockhouse ", "Foreign Affair", " Blee Blop Blues", and "That Cat Is High".  (And two personal favs , "Shaker Song" and "Blue Champagne", didn't make either collection.)

            At $15.00 for a two disc set of 40 tracks it looks like a bargain but I'm holding off until the reviews start coming in. Since my ManTran collection is pretty complete, unless there are some benefits to this latest collection (new comprehensive liner notes, improved remastering, etc) I think I'll be passing.

            >I'd love to see a REAL effort made in putting out a first class box
            >set -- 3-5 CDs

            Now you're talking. I think a nice 4-CD set would nicely cover just about every must have track from the catalog. And I love the idea of the liner notes coming with extensive input from all former and current members.

            But haven't we been asking for a comprehensive boxed set for years? I think as the preferred format for recorded music trends away from CDs to downloads the likelihood of such a collection dwindles.  PLEASE prove me wrong.

            Regards,

            John O.

          • Jim Springer
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 26 9:35 PM
              From: John-ON@...

              >>I'd love to see a REAL effort made in putting out a first class box
              >>set -- 3-5 CDs

              >Now you're talking. I think a nice 4-CD set would nicely cover just about every must have track from the catalog. And I love the idea of >the liner notes coming with extensive input from all former and current members.

              >But haven't we been asking for a comprehensive boxed set for years? I think as the preferred format for recorded music trends away from >CDs to downloads the likelihood of such a collection dwindles. PLEASE prove me wrong.

              Put me down in the “I don’t get it” category as well. With the existing compilations, who needs another? Even a newbie to the group doesn’t need another choice in almost identical material.

              And as John indicates, physical media is starting to go the way of the dinosaur as well. I too would welcome a “real” box set, with strong liner notes, artwork, never before released material and how about a DVD loaded with a good number of their music videos and/or concert snips for good measure? I agree with Russ and John with this idea (as we’ve discussed in the past as well.) Unfortunately I’m not sure the group is in a position to do that nor do I feel a major label would undertake said project.

              Guess we can always dream.

              Jim

            • pufnstuf
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 27 2:53 AM
                i agree about unreleased stuff guided missiles with laurel and my cat fell in the well with laurel. but this cd will give ud poinciana and hopefully will be remastered sad they left off gentlemen with a family one of cheryls best
                Terry

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 27 2:56 AM
                  forgot to mention walk in love and je voulais two of my favs

                • khp38120@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 28 8:02 AM
                    John O wrote:
                    I think as the preferred format for recorded music trends away from CDs to downloads the likelihood of such a collection dwindles. PLEASE prove me wrong.

                    John, it would seem to me that the only hope for the continuation of the CD business would be greater emphasis on that which you satisfactorily replicate electronically. The download industry is all about the song as a unit of consumption. This has been a huge frustration for me, as both jazz and classical are really more oriented towards the album as a unit of consumption. The box set is a further step away from the song and can deliver more value than even a single album. However, box sets are also riskier, and we haven't seen much music industry appetite for risk in recent years, especially as it relates to TMT.

                    Keith

                    =