Re: [manji] Spoiler Volume 28

  • Kim WonJin
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2011

      I kept the one offs, and the artbook "love of the beast", but next year when I move overseas, well, collections of manga weigh a bit much :p  ill have plenty of opportunity to re-acquire them anyways :p

      On Nov 12, 2011 4:20 PM, "Sean Ogden" <oghead@...> wrote:

      I was kind of surprised to hear of members selling off their BOTI collection.  Sure I've sold many other books, graphic novels and the like that I felt I just wouldn't look at anymore or for lack of space, but in my just over 20 years of reading comics, I've never come across a graphic work like BOTI that, for me at least, consistently thrilled and shocked nor had I the anticipation for getting my hands on a book each month (before serialization ended) as I had got Blade.

      It also remains the longest running collection for me beginning in 1997 - many other series have come and gone during that time, most I just lost interest in, but ive never lost my passion for Samura's magnum opus.  From the sublime artwork (which has varied arc to arc, hitting its nadir during the prison arc but recent scanlations reveal its as good as its ever been), to the epic, grisly, beautiful sword fights, to Samura's more intimate scenes where his superb rendering of anatomy conveys more meaning and emotion than a thousand typeset words, I can't imagine a more paradigmatic example in the medium that provides the truly cinematic experience that BOTI does.  Uh... I do that a lot once I get going about Manji and the gang.  But the short version is that I can't see myself ever ridding myself of my collection... And now that the end is nigh I'm feeling very nostalgic - time to start at the beginning...

      On Nov 12, 2011, at 3:36 PM, dashboardnutz@...<dashboardnutz@...> wrote:

      This was the only comic I always read,  even when I stopped reading other comics from time to time.  Still have my complete collection, although I never picked up any of the yearly trade paperbacks.  I don't think ill ever sell them.

      And I got into BOTI be because of an ex many years ago too...

        Wow, Andy. Do you still have a website somewhere?  I really loved your
        original BotI website and the special little side things like Ohikkoshi
        (which they eventually published in English) and your "other manga you
        should be reading" page. My favorite thing about your pages was when you'd
        point out something interesting or funny about the way they used the
        language. It's the one thing I miss when reading the English translation.

        Mary Pekowski
        mpekowski@...

        Say not, "Why were the former days better than these?" For it is not from
        wisdom that you ask this. — Ecclesiastes 7:10

        On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Andy Kitkowski <ziggurat@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Heya, I'm still around too, and the spoilers are totally welcome!
        >
        > BTW, good to see Mary here still! We'll have to have a reunion thread at
        > some point saying what we've all been doing for the past few years. :-)
        >
        > And you're right, the prison arc: Painful when it was happening month by
        > month for MONTHS AND MONTHS, but when you can knock it out in an hour or
        > so, it's much less painful.
        >
        > Thanks, and keep up the spoiler posts!
        >
        > -Andy
        >

        >>  ------------------------------

      • Mary Pekowski

          Wow, Andy. Do you still have a website somewhere?  I really loved your
          original BotI website and the special little side things like Ohikkoshi
          (which they eventually published in English) and your "other manga you
          should be reading" page. My favorite thing about your pages was when you'd
          point out something interesting or funny about the way they used the
          language. It's the one thing I miss when reading the English translation.

          Mary Pekowski
          mpekowski@...

          Say not, "Why were the former days better than these?" For it is not from
          wisdom that you ask this. — Ecclesiastes 7:10

          On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Andy Kitkowski <ziggurat@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Heya, I'm still around too, and the spoilers are totally welcome!
          >
          > BTW, good to see Mary here still! We'll have to have a reunion thread at
          > some point saying what we've all been doing for the past few years. :-)
          >
          > And you're right, the prison arc: Painful when it was happening month by
          > month for MONTHS AND MONTHS, but when you can knock it out in an hour or
          > so, it's much less painful.
          >
          > Thanks, and keep up the spoiler posts!
          >
          > -Andy
          >

          >>  ------------------------------

        • Kim WonJin

            Wow, Andy. Do you still have a website somewhere?  I really loved your
            original BotI website and the special little side things like Ohikkoshi
            (which they eventually published in English) and your "other manga you
            should be reading" page. My favorite thing about your pages was when you'd
            point out something interesting or funny about the way they used the
            language. It's the one thing I miss when reading the English translation.

            Mary Pekowski
            mpekowski@...

            Say not, "Why were the former days better than these?" For it is not from
            wisdom that you ask this. — Ecclesiastes 7:10

            On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Andy Kitkowski <ziggurat@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Heya, I'm still around too, and the spoilers are totally welcome!
            >
            > BTW, good to see Mary here still! We'll have to have a reunion thread at
            > some point saying what we've all been doing for the past few years. :-)
            >
            > And you're right, the prison arc: Painful when it was happening month by
            > month for MONTHS AND MONTHS, but when you can knock it out in an hour or
            > so, it's much less painful.
            >
            > Thanks, and keep up the spoiler posts!
            >
            > -Andy
            >

            >>  ------------------------------

          • Melinda Jansson
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 12, 2011
              Before you sell all your manga, weigh them and then call around to all the shipping companies for prices. You might get surprised.
              I moved back from Ireland to Sweden this February and had to ship 25 kg worth of books. After calling around I find the normal post, An Post, was the most expensive alternative, known for damaging the boxes on the way and no tracking, while ups, generally considered expensive, was cheap, reliable, fast and tracked the boxes all the was.
              So you really don't know. Cost me just around 100€ in the end.

              I'm definitely going to take a look at the art books. I'd missed them to!

              Skickat från min iPod

            • darkgenio76
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 13, 2011
                Andy, nice to see you are still around. I started to follow your first blog and loved that.

                Have to say it made me happy to see everybody here chatting again.

                My BOTI collection travelled 4 countries and is in Spain now (by the way I am Italian), over 40 volumes, since starting from volume 18 I started buying the japanese books to read it before the italian edition, and I have quite a few in Spanish since sometimes the Spanish edition was quicker.

                Cheers
                Sergio

                --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, Melinda Jansson <melinda.jansson@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >>
                > >> It also remains the longest running collection for me beginning in 1997 - many other series have come and gone during that time, most I just lost interest in, but ive never lost my passion for Samura's magnum opus. From the sublime artwork (which has varied arc to arc, hitting its nadir during the prison arc but recent scanlations reveal its as good as its ever been), to the epic, grisly, beautiful sword fights, to Samura's more intimate scenes where his superb rendering of anatomy conveys more meaning and emotion than a thousand typeset words, I can't imagine a more paradigmatic example in the medium that provides the truly cinematic experience that BOTI does. Uh... I do that a lot once I get going about Manji and the gang. But the short version is that I can't see myself ever ridding myself of my collection... And now that the end is nigh I'm feeling very nostalgic - time to start at the beginning...

              • Mary Pekowski

                  Wow, Andy. Do you still have a website somewhere?  I really loved your
                  original BotI website and the special little side things like Ohikkoshi
                  (which they eventually published in English) and your "other manga you
                  should be reading" page. My favorite thing about your pages was when you'd
                  point out something interesting or funny about the way they used the
                  language. It's the one thing I miss when reading the English translation.

                  Mary Pekowski
                  mpekowski@...

                  Say not, "Why were the former days better than these?" For it is not from
                  wisdom that you ask this. — Ecclesiastes 7:10

                  On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Andy Kitkowski <ziggurat@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Heya, I'm still around too, and the spoilers are totally welcome!
                  >
                  > BTW, good to see Mary here still! We'll have to have a reunion thread at
                  > some point saying what we've all been doing for the past few years. :-)
                  >
                  > And you're right, the prison arc: Painful when it was happening month by
                  > month for MONTHS AND MONTHS, but when you can knock it out in an hour or
                  > so, it's much less painful.
                  >
                  > Thanks, and keep up the spoiler posts!
                  >
                  > -Andy
                  >

                  >>  ------------------------------

                • Sean Ogden

                    Wow, Andy. Do you still have a website somewhere?  I really loved your
                    original BotI website and the special little side things like Ohikkoshi
                    (which they eventually published in English) and your "other manga you
                    should be reading" page. My favorite thing about your pages was when you'd
                    point out something interesting or funny about the way they used the
                    language. It's the one thing I miss when reading the English translation.

                    Mary Pekowski
                    mpekowski@...

                    Say not, "Why were the former days better than these?" For it is not from
                    wisdom that you ask this. — Ecclesiastes 7:10

                    On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Andy Kitkowski <ziggurat@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Heya, I'm still around too, and the spoilers are totally welcome!
                    >
                    > BTW, good to see Mary here still! We'll have to have a reunion thread at
                    > some point saying what we've all been doing for the past few years. :-)
                    >
                    > And you're right, the prison arc: Painful when it was happening month by
                    > month for MONTHS AND MONTHS, but when you can knock it out in an hour or
                    > so, it's much less painful.
                    >
                    > Thanks, and keep up the spoiler posts!
                    >
                    > -Andy

                    Recent Activity: