Samura get to act out his desires...

  • Ojiichan
    Message 1 of 22 , May 7, 2008
      Samura "helped out" during a photo-shoot for a hardcore s&m magazine... Real live human models were posed to recreate some of the work in the Hito de nashi no koi series. New
      drawings also feature which were not included in the artbook collection along with an
      interview.

      Finally got my hands on all but one (a 2.5x1.2cm image) of the drawings he did for Benkyo,
      along with the tankoubon of his Manga Erotics manga (title has slipped my mind). I wish he
      did pencil chapter pages for it though...

      Where is the rock music, the punk side of MnJ in the lame new anime? Another cheap generic
      rubbish anime... Everything MnJ is not in the world of manga. I still think Miike Takashi would
      make the perfect director for a live action version.
    • Jon Reid
      Message 2 of 22 , May 7, 2008
        Punk and Rock music? That would ruin the atmosphere of the show. I
        would prefer to hear a fusing of orchestral and traditional Japanese
        music like in the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs or in some of the Tenchu series
        soundtracks. Something that fits the atmosphere of the show, and feels
        like it belongs there. Rock and Punk would only make me feel
        disconnected as a viewer.

        The music in the trailer isn't the best, but fits better than
        rock/punk would in a Samurai series that focuses on more tradition
        than modern thematic fusing (Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai)

        We'll have to wait and see the first 2 episodes before we can make
        much judgement. There is still a chance it could be okay, but the
        trailer has left me underwhelmed and void of hope to say the least.

        -Jon

        Message 3 of 22 , May 7, 2008
          I think a heavy soundtrack is what MnJ would really have. Lets think about it for a minute,
          MnJ is no traditional period piece, it's a blend of Edo and modern and then there is Samura
          and his rock references. I personally would not like to hear cheesy lame rock but frantic,
          raw Japanese rock and noise. I just feel the blend of period with a raw, gritty street punk,
          modern feel is what makes MnJ what it is. I guess that is one of the beautiful elements of
          manga, the reader can fill in many blanks such as music.

          --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Reid" <denkigrve@...> wrote:

          > Punk and Rock music? That would ruin the atmosphere of the show. I
          > would prefer to hear a fusing of orchestral and traditional Japanese
          > music like in the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs or in some of the Tenchu series
          > soundtracks. Something that fits the atmosphere of the show, and feels
          > like it belongs there. Rock and Punk would only make me feel
          > disconnected as a viewer.
          >
          > The music in the trailer isn't the best, but fits better than
          > rock/punk would in a Samurai series that focuses on more tradition
          > than modern thematic fusing (Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai)
          >
          > We'll have to wait and see the first 2 episodes before we can make
          > much judgement. There is still a chance it could be okay, but the
          > trailer has left me underwhelmed and void of hope to say the least.
          >
          > -Jon
          >
          > On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Ojiichan <shea_goodall@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Samura "helped out" during a photo-shoot for a hardcore s&m magazine...
          > > Real live human models were posed to recreate some of the work in the Hito
          > > de nashi no koi series. New
          > > drawings also feature which were not included in the artbook collection
          > > along with an
          > > interview.
          > >
          > > Finally got my hands on all but one (a 2.5x1.2cm image) of
          > > the drawings he did for Benkyo,
          > > along with the tankoubon of his Manga Erotics manga (title has slipped my
          > > mind). I wish he
          > > did pencil chapter pages for it though...
          > >
          > > Where is the rock music, the punk side of MnJ in the lame new anime?
          > > Another cheap generic
          > > rubbish anime... Everything MnJ is not in the world of manga. I still think
          > > Miike Takashi would
          > > make the perfect director for a live action version.

        • wisdomoftrees
          Message 4 of 22 , May 7, 2008
            A little Sex Machineguns might do the trick....

            ~P

            --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "Ojiichan" <shea_goodall@...> wrote:

            > I think a heavy soundtrack is what MnJ would really have. Lets
            think about it for a minute,
            > MnJ is no traditional period piece, it's a blend of Edo and modern
            and then there is Samura
            > and his rock references. I personally would not like to hear
            cheesy lame rock but frantic,
            > raw Japanese rock and noise. I just feel the blend of period with
            a raw, gritty street punk,
            > modern feel is what makes MnJ what it is. I guess that is one of
            the beautiful elements of
            > manga, the reader can fill in many blanks such as music.
            >
            > --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Reid" <denkigrve@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Punk and Rock music? That would ruin the atmosphere of the show.
            > > would prefer to hear a fusing of orchestral and traditional
            Japanese
            > > music like in the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs or in some of the Tenchu
            series
            > > soundtracks. Something that fits the atmosphere of the show, and
            feels
            > > like it belongs there. Rock and Punk would only make me feel
            > > disconnected as a viewer.
            > >
            > > The music in the trailer isn't the best, but fits better than
            > > rock/punk would in a Samurai series that focuses on more
            tradition
            > > than modern thematic fusing (Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai)
            > >
            > > We'll have to wait and see the first 2 episodes before we can
            make
            > > much judgement. There is still a chance it could be okay, but the
            > > trailer has left me underwhelmed and void of hope to say the
            least.

            > > -Jon
            > >
            > > On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Ojiichan <shea_goodall@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Samura "helped out" during a photo-shoot for a hardcore s&m
            magazine...
            > > > Real live human models were posed to recreate some of the work
            in the Hito
            > > > de nashi no koi series. New
            > > > drawings also feature which were not included in the artbook
            collection
            > > > along with an
            > > > interview.
            > > >
            > > > Finally got my hands on all but one (a
            2.5x1.2cm image) of
            > > > the drawings he did for Benkyo,
            > > > along with the tankoubon of his Manga Erotics manga (title
            has slipped my
            > > > mind). I wish he
            > > > did pencil chapter pages for it though...
            > > >
            > > > Where is the rock music, the punk side of MnJ in the lame new
            anime?
            > > > Another cheap generic
            > > > rubbish anime... Everything MnJ is not in the world of manga.
            I still think
            > > > Miike Takashi would
            > > > make the perfect director for a live action version.

          • Einar Bratli
            Message 5 of 22 , May 7, 2008
              ...on ocacions, Samura has mentioned Black Sabbath to be his favorite band...
              Kuroi Sabbato even translates Black Sabbath from japanesee, so there should some black sabbatish atleest as kurois theme,
              of course the series needs traditional japaneese music and some cinematic clasical score, but i think every major character ought to have their own theme, that couldn´t possible go wrong if samura got to decide!
              ________________________________
              > To: manji@yahoogroups.com
              > From: thepockster@...
              > Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 05:24:45 +0000
              > Subject: [manji] Re: Samura get to act out his desires...
              >

              > A little Sex Machineguns might do the trick....
              >
              > ~P
              >
              > --- In manji@yahoogroups.com
              Discover the new Windows Vista
            • Kim WonJin
              Message 6 of 22 , May 8, 2008
                punk and rock would ruin it? screw that. i'd love to hear some tool or TPC with shira doing what he does. i'd rather music that the mangaka likes go with it rather than what someone thinks should go with it. i don't want this anime to bend to the masses. staying to true to what it is, and how he envisions it is so much better

                Message 7 of 22 , May 8, 2008
                  ojii- are you talking about "bride"?

                  besides bride and ohikkoshi, does anyone know of any others?

                  would you happen to have pictures of the models doing poses from hito de nashi? this artbook is insanely gorgeous, to see live models posing has got me in a twist....

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 8, 2008
                    I wonder how much input and final say Samura really has when it comes
                    to the anime adaptation.

                    --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "Kim WonJin" <iijyanaika@...> wrote:

                    > punk and rock would ruin it? screw that. i'd love to hear some tool
                    or TPC
                    > with shira doing what he does. i'd rather music that the mangaka
                    likes go
                    > with it rather than what someone thinks should go with it. i don't
                    want this
                    > anime to bend to the masses. staying to true to what it is, and how he
                    > envisions it is so much better
                    >
                    > On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:32 PM, Einar Bratli <einarbratli@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >

                    > > ...on ocacions, Samura has mentioned Black Sabbath to be his favorite
                    > > band...
                    > > Kuroi Sabbato even translates Black Sabbath from japanesee, so there
                    > > should some black sabbatish atleest as kurois theme,
                    > > of course the series needs traditional japaneese music and some
                    cinematic
                    > > clasical score, but i think every major character ought to have
                    their own
                    > > theme, that couldn´t possible go wrong if samura got to decide!
                    > > ________________________________
                    > > > To: manji@yahoogroups.com <manji%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > > From: thepockster@... <thepockster%40gmail.com>
                    > > > Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 05:24:45 +0000
                    > > > Subject: [manji] Re: Samura get to act out his desires...
                    > >

                    > > > A little Sex Machineguns might do the trick....
                    > > >
                    > > > ~P
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In manji@yahoogroups.com <manji%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Discover the new Windows Vista
                    > > http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=windows+vista&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE

                  • Ojiichan
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 8, 2008
                      I was referring to "Buraddo Haaree no Basha". I am still waiting for
                      his QuickJapan work to get collected. If this never happens I'll just
                      have to buy the rest of the magazines to finish my collection. Don't
                      have the disposable funds right now to do that.

                      I will not be showing any of the Hito de nashi no koi photo work
                      online, I am not one to supply people with such material. If you are
                      really eager to see the photos I would suggest a small amount of
                      searching online (amazon jp). The magazine is now soldout but
                      secondhand copies are floating around, some in perfect new condition
                      like the one I purchased.

                      There are quite a few images, manga and doujinshi floating around to
                      collect. Take a look around the net for some lists to start from. I
                      believe I have already posted links here in the past.

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 8, 2008
                        oops, just looked at my manga, for some reason i thought it said bride. i have hito de nashi, i wasn't referring to pics of those, but if you had any of the show(the art shown, or the models depicting).

                        did you actually go, or just know of?

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 8, 2008
                          It depends on the contract he signed with them. Shirow gets lots of
                          say in the adaptations of his material. So it'll depend on that.

                          Kim, You also don't now what type of music he'd prefer for the anime.
                          Nor do I. Personally I listen to a LOT of heavy music (Darkest Hour,
                          At the Gates, Between the Buried and Me), but I don't think that style
                          of music would fit the anime. Judging from the music in the trailer
                          it's going to be composed music in the anime. Personally hearing heavy
                          rock or punk for anything other than the opening/closing would really
                          disconnect me from the show as a whole. You can increase the feeling
                          of chaos/dread from scenes in a show simply by the musical choices the
                          composer makes. Watch Code Geass, they did a great job on composer
                          choice for the show. The soundtrack really helps elevate the mood
                          during some of the more intense scenes, and the composed music fits
                          the theme of a living in an era with a snooty imperial government
                          who's taken over half of the world.

                          MnJ is a period piece with some fantasy elements placed in it. Putting
                          music from the modern era into it wouldn't fit the overall theme of
                          the anime. For me I'd much rather have more traditional Japanese
                          musical instruments be used in a fusing with modern string instruments
                          to create more of a period piece. Just my opinion though.

                          -Jon

                          On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 3:45 AM, Ojiichan <shea_goodall@...> wrote:

                          > I wonder how much input and final say Samura really has when it comes
                          > to the anime adaptation.
                          >

                          > --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "Kim WonJin" <iijyanaika@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > punk and rock would ruin it? screw that. i'd love to hear some tool
                          > or TPC
                          > > with shira doing what he does. i'd rather music that the mangaka
                          > likes go
                          > > with it rather than what someone thinks should go with it. i don't
                          > want this
                          > > anime to bend to the masses. staying to true to what it is, and how he
                          > > envisions it is so much better
                          > >
                          > > On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:32 PM, Einar Bratli <einarbratli@...>
                          >
                          > > wrote:
                          > >

                          > > > ...on ocacions, Samura has mentioned Black Sabbath to be his favorite
                          > > > band...
                          > > > Kuroi Sabbato even translates Black Sabbath from japanesee, so there
                          > > > should some black sabbatish atleest as kurois theme,
                          > > > of course the series needs traditional japaneese music and some
                          > cinematic
                          > > > clasical score, but i think every major character ought to have
                          > their own
                          > > > theme, that couldn´t possible go wrong if samura got to decide!
                          > > > ________________________________

                          > > > Discover the new Windows Vista
                          > > > http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=windows+vista&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE

                        • ~A
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 8, 2008
                            Has anyone checked out World's End Girlfriend? They're probably my
                            favorite Japanese band right now, (not that I'm very well versed in
                            Japanese music,) but they do instrumental post-rock which is kind of
                            a mix of orchestral/movie soundtrack with splashes of jazz, metal and
                            crazy Aphex Twin style electronica.

                            Anyway, they would do an incredible soundtrack, for Blade or anything
                            else.

                            Good stuff.
                          • Kim WonJin
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 8, 2008
                              period type piece sure. having some of the same type of traditional music sure
                              i feel his work definitely stands out from the rest, so having it be the same run of the mill stuff over and over again..........throwing some rock in it with the ittou gang. i think it would be a nice change.

                              i'm still shuddering from what the anime seems it might be. i'm still confused as to why bee train got this, with as much acclaim that mnj has gotten. wondering if they pushed the release date, to fix up the first episode so as not to let everyone down :P

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 8, 2008
                                Hito de nashi no koi is Samura's long running illustration series which he wrapped up last
                                year. It was collected in an artbook (which you have). Recently there was a feature in a
                                magazine with an interview, one previously unpublished drawing and the photos.

                                Buraddo Haaree no Basha is a period piece set in europe. First published in Manga Erotics
                                F and recently collected in a tankoubon.

                                Other manga work of Samura's includes "Secrect Manga Posse" doujinshi, other doujinshi,
                                his kogal QuickJapan work, a short for Tamaoki Benkyo, the 3 from Afternoon Seasons (all
                                published in the Ohikkoshi tankoubon), Dai Gassaku (Afternoon's 10 year anniversary),
                                Emerald.... I am sure I am forgetting something.

                                There are quite a few illustrations floating around too. His Afternoon Seasons Aja
                                illustration series, Benkyo tankoubon work, Bitch's Life artbook, drawings for novels,
                                covers for novels, more tankoubon illustrations (quite a few...), more pin-ups (most in old
                                mangabon, quite a few of these too)....

                                These are all just off the top of my head. Like I said, do a little net searching if you are
                                keen to know more, all the info is out there.

                              • tab25tab25
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 17, 2008
                                  --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "Ojiichan" <shea_goodall@...> wrote:

                                  > Hito de nashi no koi is Samura's long running illustration series
                                  which he wrapped up last
                                  > year. It was collected in an artbook (which you have). Recently
                                  there was a feature in a
                                  > magazine with an interview, one previously unpublished drawing and
                                  the photos.

                                  what magazine, when?
                                • ROHO
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 17, 2008
                                    can we bet some pics, previews or info where to buy this?
                                  • Ojiichan
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 19, 2008
                                      Like I said, the magazine is sold out. This means waiting for the odd chance that it shows
                                      up on a Japanese online auction site or checking if any online second hand book and
                                      magazine sellers have a copy. As I've said before, Amazon would be the easiest and the
                                      route I took but I seem to remember buying the last copy. Maybe there are some more
                                      listed now. Also, books like this DON'T ship outside of the country... You need a contact
                                      IN Nippon to send it out to you.

                                      I do not recommend even attempting to buy this if you don't already have almost
                                      everything else Samura has had published. There is many more books easily available
                                      which are much more rewarding.

                                      Try some of the Samura work lists on the net. You might need babblefish...

                                      This is about as much as I can hold your hand, I am not into these kinds of publications, so
                                      if you really want to get it you will have to figure out the rest.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 19, 2008
                                        Last year. It was smut. You don't want it.

                                        ^_^

                                        --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "tab25tab25" <tab___25@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "Ojiichan" <shea_goodall@> wrote:
                                        > >

                                        > > Hito de nashi no koi is Samura's long running illustration series
                                        > which he wrapped up last
                                        > > year. It was collected in an artbook (which you have). Recently
                                        > there was a feature in a
                                        > > magazine with an interview, one previously unpublished drawing and
                                        > the photos.
                                        >
                                        > what magazine, when?

                                      • tab25tab25
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 19, 2008
                                          Why give out information like this and then refuse to share the
                                          details?

                                          Apparantly he's talking about the July 2007 issue of S&M Sniper (S&MƒXƒi
                                          ƒCƒp[). That might be of help for those who want to google it.
                                        • Ojiichan
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 19, 2008
                                            I was vague with the details because I feel if you want to buy hardcore porn, a magazine
                                            filled with girls tied up and penetrated, you can search it out yourself. I am not going to hold
                                            your hand every step of the way. I also thought that it was fairly easy to find. The more
                                            dedicated collectors of his work would know exactly where to look and if you are not so
                                            dedicated then there is a lot more publications in which Samura's work features, which I feel
                                            would be much more deserving, cost effective and satisfying. And if you are just after it for
                                            the smut content, isn't there a lot of that floating around the internet?

                                            Or maybe it's because I am a jerk?

                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 20, 2008
                                              (in reference to hito de nashi)oji- i agree with you on the easy part of finding it. it's not something that's a limited edition/collectors item, so it's extremely easy to find, you're just being lazy.

                                              but i'll have to disagree with you on the solely smut part. granted it is vulgar. but if you look at it in an artistic point of view, it's gorgeous. if samura really is telling the truth saying he doesn't use live models. his anatomy skills are insane. having to create poses without reference, as well as do anatomy like that, he's really damn good.

                                              the S/M mag, yeah, it is what it is. different strokes for different folks

                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 20, 2008
                                                I think you miss understood. I love my Hito de nashi no koi artbook. Before I had the
                                                collection I was trying to find all the images myself... Quite a lengthy, difficult and financially draining experience. The MAGAZINE is smut, pure and simple. It's filled with
                                                exploited young girls and ONE new Hito de nashi no koi image. As for Samura not using
                                                live models, I would imagine he would use s&m photography books/magazines and such
                                                for LOOSE reference. I would have to agree with you though, he is indeed highly skilled at
                                                his art.