final predictions....

  • ~Adam
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2007
      --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "giacomo.margotti" <gaignun@...> wrote:

      > sooooo.... i'd like to ask to the not-excited ones.... what are you
      > exactly hoping to see? 'cause in my opinion this is a good as mnj gets
      > (well, maybe still not equal to shingyo toryu's arc, but very good
      > nevertheless). The story has its focus, manages to keep suspence and
      > some surprises, and it's slowly (hell, has mnj ever been fast? XD) but
      > surely reaching its climax. PLUS it keeps shifting between characters
      > so it never becomes dull.

      Well you're about 30 issues further into the story than I am, since I
      read the English translated version, (though I'm planning on breaking
      down and ordering the Japanese vol 20 and 21 sometime next year
      despite not being able to read them,) but there are a couple of things
      I can see happening in a Blade ending.

      -I don't see Anotsu being killed by Rin, despite her not having the
      skill, the characters have changed and priorities shifted, so that
      Anotsu is a much more likable/sympathetic character. Plus they both
      now have a common enemy in Habaki Kagimura. (Ooh, wouldn't that be
      badass if Habaki uses Burando's techniques and makes himself immortal?)

      -Speaking of Habaki, I can see Anotsu getting his revenge, and maybe
      then finding himself in control of his armies, finally bringing him
      the legitimacy and respect the Itto Ryu were seeking.

      -Manji should finally be able to die at the end, but it'll be a
      situation of his own choosing, possibly involving the old woman from
      the verrrryyyy beginning of the series. And he'll do something heroic
      and awesome to go out on.

      -Hyakurin and Giichi retire from fighting to raise her child...who she
      notices one day kind of looks like Shinriji.

      -Rin, I dunno...she'll survive to start her own sword school maybe?
      Or hold a prominent position with Anotsu.

      -And finally Shira will have some horrible trick up his..uh bones,
      that will basically screw everyone over, even Habaki, and he will
      almost get away with it, until a final showdown with Giichi leaves him
      headless.

      So those are my predictions, we'll see if I'm right in 3-4 years. Ha.
    • giacomo.margotti
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2007
        > -I don't see Anotsu being killed by Rin

        besides, Anotsu in one of the recent chapters asked Rin something.
        They're..... joining forces at last^^
        but i guess the whole "revenge arc" will be put under the spot
        lights for the last time, sooner or later. Possibly with a
        connection to Renzoh and his own revenge.

        > -Speaking of Habaki, I can see Anotsu getting his revenge, and
        maybe
        > then finding himself in control of his armies,

        i doubt Anotsu will succeed in his plans. It's just a hunch, but....
        actually, i think Anotsu is going to die in the series finale.
        i don't think Habaki is going to be an easy opponent.... as of now,
        Anotsu seems to have the upper hand, but i guess it won't last
        long....

        > -Hyakurin and Giichi retire from fighting to raise her child...who
        she
        > notices one day kind of looks like Shinriji.

        i don't think samura's gonna kill these 2 characters off, so i guess
        that's a realistic scenario. Dunno 'bout the son though....

        > -Rin, I dunno...she'll survive to start her own sword school
        maybe?
        > Or hold a prominent position with Anotsu.

        who knows.... i really have no idea here. I guess samura isn't going
        to write a closed ending for Rin.

        > -And finally Shira will have some horrible trick up his..uh bones,
        > that will basically screw everyone over, even Habaki, and he will
        > almost get away with it, until a final showdown with Giichi leaves
        him
        > headless.

        i don't think it'll go this way. IMHO the last showdown with shira
        is going to be with Magatsu. And magatsu's going to trash Shira for
        sure. There's just too much on the plate....

        anyway, mnj vol 21 in italy will be out in march! cannot wait to
        read AND understand those damned moonrunes! XD
        i'm a bit sorry for american fans, not only the monthlies have
        stopped, but you also are stuck in mnj's "namek arc" for what looks
        like a quite long time. Keep faith, it'll get better! it only takes
        long to do so XD
      • BJ Carlson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2007
          All these are certainly interesting possibilities...though my take on the way Rin and Manji will end up is a bit different....

          I really see, as a dominant theme throughout the series, that this revenge quest Manji and Rin are on is in some ways more about the right way to live/nuture than the right way to die/kill.  All three pivotal chracters (Rin, Manji and Anotsu) have had their preconceptions about their life theologies and their 'right course' repeatedly called into question.

          I mean look at how Rin is trying to be a good daughter and honor her parents memories, but she's always had to struggle to figure out how in a way that doesn't betray her sense of self.  She cares more about helping people and protecting those in her circle than she does about killing Anotsu.  Why else did she risk her neck to save her bodyguard when the breakout could have cost her life and ended her revenge quest right there?  She's unable to divorce her personal ethics from her revenge quest and as a result she's destroying Anotsu's group in a different manner than just killing them all...yes some are ending up dead, but others are questing their own lives, and finding new ways to live.

          How will it end?  Well I think this series may end up with Anotsu dead yes, but it's not impossible to think that death may be in the ultimate reverse of fate. I suspect Anotsu will die to save Rin at the end of this, or die in a way that supports somethign she beleives in....

          Rin I think, will end the series in a roll of power of one sort or another..though not one she necessarily wants.  She has this strange talent for attracting people to her and drawing out he best in them, and I don't beleive tha's goig to change anytime soon.  That means she's likely gonna need to adapt to a life as a person of influence: whether it's in a sword school or as some kind of rag-rag group of ex-misfits leader...

          Lastly, while I can't say it won't happen, I will be VERY disappointed if this series ends with Manji dying rather than learning to be happy in living.  Yes, death is an honorable end for a warrior but in some ways Manji doesn't need work at being fighter, he needs work at being a man.  Look at the first arc where Manji meets the nun and is given bloodworms.  He asks the nun to remove them so he can die as he deserves to, and she refuses...he then tries to bargain his way out of things... to make up for his sins by killing deserving rather than nondeserving types, and the nun says something to the affect of +If you think killing/death is your way out of this, than fine...+  After which she deliberately set Rin in his path.  Sending a girl who questions the need for death to a man seeking it?  I can't see that as an accident...

        • Julie
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2007
            Magatsu vs Shira showdown!! omg that's what I want! and Magatsu is going to beat the shit out of Shira and cut him up into pieces! ya!

            And I also feel Anotsu will die in the end of the story