Re: [manji] Re: Latest Afternoon

  • J H
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
      NNOOOOOOO, pay no attention to him...I love your summaries more that stick figure action... *sniff, sniff* I cried when you said that you lost the magazine and had to replace it with your little movie...although your little movie was funny as hell!

      samuelllarkin <samuelllarkin@...> wrote:
      Hey Andy,
           Can you do some MS Paint Theater when you do the summaries?
      I've always loved it when you do that and it would probably be more
      entertaining than the actual storyline... sad as it is to say.

      -Samuel

      --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Kitkowski" <nekosith@...> wrote:

      > Rock on!  The Prison Arc dies! Long live the Prison Arc!
      >
      > OK, that means, as I promised, as soon as I get my Afternoon (prob
      in 1-2
      > days), I'll look it through, and then do my "11 month Arc Summary"
      this
      > weekend and post it at my site.
      >
      > The floodgates have opened, and we'll see if I can return to
      regularly
      > monthly (or at the very least, bi-monthly) updates after that.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > -Andy

      Behalf Of Kaon
      > Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:40 PM
      > To: manji@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [manji] Latest Afternoon

      Yahoo! Mail

    • J H
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
        actually...whooops <spoiler>

        Rin had already made up her mind not to go after the Itto-ryu until she found out what the Itto-ryu was going to be in the end. And even then, I think she would end it with Anotsu, as he's the only one left (besides Magatsu) from the raid on her families dojo.

        Kaon <ronin@...> wrote:
        Hi People ^_^

        Got the latest issue of Afternoon last night. Here is a summary :

        <Spoiler Space>

        </Spoiler Space>

        The return of DEATH MURAL!!!

        Continuing the battle last week against the 'monster undead', we have a
        'combination attack' between the 4 principle (Isaku, Dowa, Rin and
        Manji) which finally took the guy down by cutting him into pieces. The
        'Death Mural' is a 2 page spread of Manji and Dowa. The prison arc is
        finally over - well there are still those 3 criminals being recruited by
        the doctor, but those are small fries, right?

        Given how friendly Rin has become with Dowa, it's going to be hard to
        continue the vendetta against Itto Ryu from now on..

        Cheers
        From
        Ronin

      • Andy Kitkowski
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 2006
          Blah, looks like my copy of Afternoon didn't come this weekend. It'll
          probably be here on Monday or Tuesday morning. I'll have to push the update
          to next weekend. :-(

          -Andy

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
            Chigau yo. That was not a Death Mural. In case someone's forgotten
            what they were:
            http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQAOA3IVujBstKJTyD4zRdN1lJboJn7GqSy2SKwR!JHrINGgW!n0n*s3u2OqPpy56dlwqUZDy3DyCcMYvF7uJOuNUZboR9P*9dmKl0XglyqwyJnI0fk5cw/BotI_v01_c01_023.jpg?dc=4675489309458052543

            I condemn them for scaning licenced material (
            though it was the only scan I knew I could find easily), but that
            aside, as you can see, the fuzzy, dreamlike three-page layout, as cool
            as it is, is NOTHING like what I fell in love with years ago. NOTHING.
            The lack of crisp lines, the cranes and homoerotic imagery
            (*snicker*), symmetry and points of focus... Nope. That is not what I
            call a "Death Mural". It's just a big drawin.

            I think he dropped it (and maybe not even of his own will) because
            comparing it to the style and artistry of his panels, it's eons in a
            different direction. It was like a totally different manga - just
            didn't fit. But at the same time, I thought they were genius
            insertions and I can't say that I've seen anything like 'em.

            That said, AWESOME fight scene. Doa and Manji...Mmmmmm. It's so wrong
            it must be right. Additionally, I 'like' how Manji is ginormous in
            that bad-arse pre-fight pose the two of them make. Think I'll start
            calling him the Jolly Yellar Giant. >_>.... Honestly, it's freaky.
            Anyways....

            ~P

            Anyways, it's nice to see Rin and Manji together again.

            --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Kitkowski" <nekosith@...> wrote:

            > Blah, looks like my copy of Afternoon didn't come this weekend. It'll
            > probably be here on Monday or Tuesday morning. I'll have to push
            the update
            > to next weekend. :-(
            >
            > -Andy
            >
            > ________________________________

            Of Jeff
            > Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:23 PM
            > To: manji@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: RE: [manji] Latest Afternoon
            >

            > Gods be praised! And, thanks for the summary. I wonder if Samura is
            secretly
            > in this group. There was a lot of talk here about wanting to bring
            back the
            > "Death Mural".

          • Hino Ayame
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006

              They say good things are worth waiting for..these people must have anticipated something equally as cool like the manga summaries...and most importantly... THE PRISON ARC IS FINALLY OVER!

                 ~Deep breath~ Okay, now that that is out of my system....oh wait.. IT'S REALLY OVER?! OMG! HURRAH! THERE IS A GOD AND HE IS ON MY SIDE!

                 ~Blinks and regains her composure.~ Now then, onto more serious topics...I wonder what'll happen now.
                As I've read this series through the years, I have come up with some bizarre theories in my warped little head.
                The first was that on some level, Rin was in love with Anotsu, (I know, but I did say 'bizarre'.) and that Anotsu at least had a passing interest in her. I mean, the guy could have slaughtered Rin numerous times...but for some reason he hasn't done so.
                However, there is the angst-filled affair with Makie and Rin recently finally decided to come clean to the viewers about her feelings for Manji. So out the window that theory went quite some chapters and books ago.

                 Another that has truly caught my interest is the subject of Hyakurin's unborn child.
                 Recall you all when Shinriji proposed to her, albeit in a jesting manner? Now, I know this is craaazy and all, but...what if that baby is Shinriji's? ~Cue dramatic soap opera music~
                I mean, would that not be..the ultimate in curveballs and plot-thickner's?! I thought it was damned sweet of Giichi to offer to raise the child as his own, especially in light that his own son had died.
                 I mean, Hyakurin and Shinriji worked side by side...even if Shinriji did compare her at first to his mother due to her blonde hair, you can tell that goofball did love her. Always busting his ass to please her and such, what if there was a behind-the-scenes romance between them that Samura decided not to show so he could throw this at us later? Heh....just a silly idea on my part, I guess.

                Look forward to seeing what comes next!

              -Hino Ayame

              Itsu demo hitori ja nai. Aruki-hajimate kage ga kasanaru. Ikite yukitai kokoro no kagiri, tokimeite itsu mo tokimeit. Yakusoku da yo...
              {You may be lost, but you're not alone. We begin to walk and our shadows overlap one another. Going with courage to our heart's limit, beating, it's always beating. This is our promise..}

              Yahoo! Mail

            • wisdomoftrees
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
                Haha, interesting. Samura does sort of skimp on the romantic drama,
                doesn't he?

                Oh, and the other thing I was wondering about... Is Manji's name
                actually composed of "man" and "ji"? I've never noticed that (maybe
                due to having to read the original only now). Perhaps that's why I
                thought no one ever called him by name. But then again, it appears to
                be stylistic.... Hmm... I'll have to look at them again. And anyways,
                if those are the kanji for his name, how poetic. ^_^

                ~P

                --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, Hino Ayame
                <riina_inbaasu_no_dora_mata@...> wrote:

                > They say good things are worth waiting for..these people must have
                anticipated something equally as cool like the manga summaries...and
                most importantly... THE PRISON ARC IS FINALLY OVER!

                > ~Deep breath~ Okay, now that that is out of my system....oh
                wait.. IT'S REALLY OVER?! OMG! HURRAH! THERE IS A GOD AND HE IS ON MY
                SIDE!

                > ~Blinks and regains her composure.~ Now then, onto more serious
                topics...I wonder what'll happen now.
                > As I've read this series through the years, I have come up with
                some bizarre theories in my warped little head.
                > The first was that on some level, Rin was in love with Anotsu,
                (I know, but I did say 'bizarre'.) and that Anotsu at least had a
                passing interest in her. I mean, the guy could have slaughtered Rin
                numerous times...but for some reason he hasn't done so.
                > However, there is the angst-filled affair with Makie and Rin
                recently finally decided to come clean to the viewers about her
                feelings for Manji. So out the window that theory went quite some
                chapters and books ago.

                > Another that has truly caught my interest is the subject of
                Hyakurin's unborn child.
                > Recall you all when Shinriji proposed to her, albeit in a
                jesting manner? Now, I know this is craaazy and all, but...what if
                that baby is Shinriji's? ~Cue dramatic soap opera music~
                > I mean, would that not be..the ultimate in curveballs and
                plot-thickner's?! I thought it was damned sweet of Giichi to offer to
                raise the child as his own, especially in light that his own son had
                died.
                > I mean, Hyakurin and Shinriji worked side by side...even if
                Shinriji did compare her at first to his mother due to her blonde
                hair, you can tell that goofball did love her. Always busting his ass
                to please her and such, what if there was a behind-the-scenes romance
                between them that Samura decided not to show so he could throw this at
                us later? Heh....just a silly idea on my part, I guess.

                > Look forward to seeing what comes next!
                >

                > -Hino Ayame
                >

                > Itsu demo hitori ja nai. Aruki-hajimate kage ga kasanaru. Ikite
                yukitai kokoro no kagiri, tokimeite itsu mo tokimeit. Yakusoku da yo...
                > {You may be lost, but you're not alone. We begin to walk and our
                shadows overlap one another. Going with courage to our heart's limit,
                beating, it's always beating. This is our promise..}

                > ---------------------------------
                > Yahoo! Mail

              • Andy Kitkowski
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
                  =====
                  Oh, and the other thing I was wondering about... Is Manji's name actually
                  composed of "man" and "ji"? I've never noticed that (maybe due to having to
                  read the original only now). Perhaps that's why I thought no one ever called
                  him by name. But then again, it appears to be stylistic.... Hmm... I'll have
                  to look at them again. And anyways, if those are the kanji for his name, how
                  poetic. ^_^
                  =====

                  Yeah, his name is written both "Manji" as in Man and Ji, and
                  Manji-the-symbol. I think the latter was for kind of a "throw up the horns
                  and rock out" feel of the beginnings of the series. Later on, when someone
                  calls him, they use the Symbol and the Man-Ji (two kanji) interchangably.
                  Manji the symbol: 卍
                  Manji the kanji: 万次

                  Oh, also, I got my copy of Afternoon today, so I'll be doing that
                  10-months-in-one-post update this weekend. Thanks for your patience, all!

                  -Andy
                • madame_manga
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 7, 2006
                    --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, Hino Ayame
                    <riina_inbaasu_no_dora_mata@...> wrote:

                    > As I've read this series through the years, I have come up with
                    some bizarre theories in my warped little head.
                    > The first was that on some level, Rin was in love with Anotsu,
                    (I know, but I did say 'bizarre'.) and that Anotsu at least had a
                    passing interest in her. I mean, the guy could have slaughtered Rin
                    numerous times...but for some reason he hasn't done so.
                    > However, there is the angst-filled affair with Makie and Rin
                    recently finally decided to come clean to the viewers about her
                    feelings for Manji. So out the window that theory went quite some
                    chapters and books ago.

                    I don't know that you have to throw that one all the way out quite
                    yet. :D Yes, Rin planted one on Manji, but more with an air of
                    "farewell to childish crush" than with "Now we're starting something",
                    IMO. Maybe she's overestimated her ability to move on--even Manji
                    clearly picked up the vibe when she told him she'd lose an arm to save
                    him--but from the (probably deliberately) ambiguous thoughts going
                    through her head, it sure seems like she thinks she ought to put that
                    particular fantasy behind her and get out from under Manji's wing to
                    grow up.

                    Rin has always had a fixation on Anotsu, of course--he's taken up huge
                    amounts of her thinking for years. Intense emotions have this strange
                    way of turning around on you, especially when you're an adolescent!
                    Some psychological process of the kind might be a factor behind her
                    decision not to kill him while he was deathly ill.

                    At the very least, if Anotsu dies, there goes Rin's quest to
                    understand what was really behind the deaths of her parents. All she
                    would have left is a giant Anotsu-shaped hole in the center of her
                    universe; when you've grown up on an obsession, you more or less form
                    yourself around it. It's almost as if his existence is necessary for
                    her continued functioning, at least at her present level of maturity.
                    She would have to find some other all-consuming cause to make the
                    transition...and Manji's imprisonment might serve that need to a
                    reasonable extent. Once it doesn't matter so much to her if he lives
                    or dies, she doesn't even need to kill him any more!

                    As for Anotsu's feelings about Rin--he's certainly intrigued by her
                    now. She's not just some dumb kid who keeps harassing him; she's got
                    depths and strengths he knew nothing about until that trip through the
                    mountains. He can't marry Makie--she wouldn't have him anyway, not as
                    long as she knows he puts his cause first, and he probably always
                    will. Hisoka told Anotsu that he didn't need someone who could fight
                    beside him, but someone who could watch over him to the end...and Rin
                    echoed that exact phrase just after he had refused to take the easy
                    way out with poison.

                    Samura sure lays his groundwork carefully, doesn't he? :D

                    MM
                  • Hino Ayame
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006

                      Wow, upon hearing you explain it like that, it makes more sense coming from you than it did in my head. ~Cackle~
                         It most certainly will be interesting to see how things pan out in the end. Heh, I remember dating some idiot who tried to tell me he'd read every book in this wonderful series...I still laugh about that when I read Andy's summaries.
                        Anywho, I'm also curious to see how things will turn out with Hyakurin; I really can't help shake the feeling that Samura's gonna pull something huge with that. And I thought Shinriji, for all his bumbling and short-comings, was a pretty swell fellow. He needs a legacy of some sort other than his short-lived heroics and being smeared.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 9, 2006
                        --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, Hino Ayame
                        <riina_inbaasu_no_dora_mata@...> wrote:

                        > Anywho, I'm also curious to see how things will turn out with
                        Hyakurin; I really can't help shake the feeling that Samura's gonna
                        pull something huge with that. And I thought Shinriji, for all his
                        bumbling and short-comings, was a pretty swell fellow. He needs a
                        legacy of some sort other than his short-lived heroics and being smeared.

                        Yeah, that would be nice--the poor guy! (Say, I read somewhere that
                        "Shinriji" is a Japanese transliteration of "Thin Lizzy", and that the
                        rose he wore on the back of his kimono was a logo associated with that
                        band. Weird bit of trivia...)

                        I suppose if Hyakurin had been willing to let any man get close, it
                        would have been humble, mother-goddess-worshipping little punching-bag
                        Shinriji. :D Talk about the polar opposite of her asshole of a husband!

                        MM