I've got all the Japanese volumes!

  • madame_manga
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2006
      I don't actually own them yet, alas--this set is a loaner--but for the
      last week I've been poring through volumes 1-18 of Mugen no Junin with
      a kanji dictionary in hand and having an absolute blast. :D Reading
      the panels in right-to-left seems so smooth; there are graphic details
      and elements of page flow that I'm just now noticing after years of
      re-reading my issues.

      I'm no linguist, but I'm itching to learn Japanese now! Yeah, we'll
      see about that...at least I have a little experience with Chinese
      already, so some of the basics are there. One thing I'm checking out
      along the way is how everyone uses (or doesn't use) honorifics and
      terms like "danna". I can also now recognize the phrase equivalent to
      "stupid motherf***ing bastard" whenever it comes up, which is often.
      ;-) Who said manga wasn't educational?

      MM
    • fujita_gorou
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2006
        --- In manji@yahoogroups.com, "madame_manga" <MmeManga@...> wrote:

        > I don't actually own them yet, alas--this set is a loaner--but for the
        > last week I've been poring through volumes 1-18 of Mugen no Junin with
        > a kanji dictionary in hand and having an absolute blast. :D Reading
        > the panels in right-to-left seems so smooth; there are graphic details
        > and elements of page flow that I'm just now noticing after years of
        > re-reading my issues.
        >
        > I'm no linguist, but I'm itching to learn Japanese now! Yeah, we'll
        > see about that...at least I have a little experience with Chinese
        > already, so some of the basics are there. One thing I'm checking out
        > along the way is how everyone uses (or doesn't use) honorifics and
        > terms like "danna". I can also now recognize the phrase equivalent to
        > "stupid motherf***ing bastard" whenever it comes up, which is often.
        > ;-) Who said manga wasn't educational?
        >
        > MM

        It's really cool to learn Japanese that way. Especially on a series
        you are familiar with already. If you can make out a few words, and
        you have a good imagination, you can sometimes write your own script.
        Who cares if it doesn't match the original, right? ^_^

        Eventually you will pick up more and more of course, so you don't have
        to go to the kanji dictionary every other word. If you know some
        Chinese already you have a big head start. One thing I found though,
        it's pretty easy to read a manga and understand it for yourself, since
        there are pictures and all, but when you try to write it down in
        English you find out how hard it is. Thankfully we have DH and Studio
        Proteus to save the day.

        ---
        Clint
      • wisdomoftrees
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2006
          Strangely enough, all the places I've been to don't have volume 15.
          It's REALLY annoying. That, or I'm looking so damn hard I fail to see
          it. *pouts*

          Oh, and because I'm all about spoiling people....

          I really am...

          Gee, I wonder what's up the dood in his tighty-whities who remains
          alive even if you CUT OFF HIS HEAD and whose eye GROWS BACK once
          pierced....

          *snicker*

          / END SPOILERISH SHINANNIGANS.

          While reading, I notice how no one calls Manji "Manji" anymore. ._.
          Than again, maybe they do refer to him by name...IN VOLUME FIFTEEN!!!!
          *growls*

          ~P

          *pouts*